Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

HD-DVD movies you don't see being brought to Blu-Ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-10, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was tempted to pick up Breach (DVD) at Big Lots the other day so I checked Amazon to make sure there is no Blu-Ray release. Lo and behold I noticed the HD-DVD/DVD Combo release. It got me to thinking about which films do you see having a HD-DVD release but not making it to Blu-Ray as an eventual catalog release?

Breach?
Hollywoodland?

Thoughts?
Old 11-25-10, 03:30 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: HD-DVD movies you don't see being brought to Blu-Ray

Cat People.
Old 11-25-10, 03:44 PM
Banned

Cat People
Old 11-25-10, 03:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think eventually every HD-DVD release will be moved to Blu-Ray, these films already have a transfer encoded and ready to go, basically all that is required is production of the discs for most of them.

They are ideal candidates as cheap catalog releases.
Old 11-25-10, 04:19 PM
Suspended

It's been 2.5 years and Universal still has not released all of hits 1.5 years worth of HD DVDs. It'll never happen, especially with catalog being on the decline.
Old 11-25-10, 05:14 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Lemmy
It'll happen....eventually.

Does anyone have a list of the Universal HD-DVDs not yet released on blu-ray?
You mean like how every VHS is on DVD?

HD DVD had about 500 domestic titles....and 2.5 years later some are still exclsusive. Catalog is not selling that well anymore. Universal has delayed releases for years because they can't make any money on them. It's just not going to happen.
Old 11-25-10, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
You mean like how every VHS is on DVD?

HD DVD had about 500 domestic titles....and 2.5 years later some are still exclsusive. Catalog is not selling that well anymore. Universal has delayed releases for years because they can't make any money on them. It's just not going to happen.
Yeah, but never? I mean, come on. They're doling them out slowly, and they're going to keep grabbing the ones they already did in HD vs. new ones.
Old 11-25-10, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Black Christmas (2006) at least not a U.S. release
Seed of Chucky (Unrated)
Old 11-25-10, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

universal better release THE STING
Old 11-25-10, 07:27 PM

It's funny, Out of Sight was one of the exclusive titles that made me choose HD DVD over Blu-ray, and it still hasn't hit Blu-ray. They actually did a nice job with the disc, too. And I'm amazed The Sting still hasn't made it over. Both would probably be in my top 25 favorites.

Others that come to mind are The Game, Slither, The Big Lebowski, and Billy Madison. They're not all top-quality discs, but I'm happy I've been able to enjoy them over the past couple of years in HD format. This provides some small comfort to the realization that I poured so much money into a format that no longer exists. ...
Old 11-25-10, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

I was gonna say Norbit, but see that actually made it to Blu-Ray.

I'll always wonder how Universal decided what titles to release- did ANYONE really want "Mobsters" in hi-def?
Old 11-25-10, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by The Monkees
Black Christmas (2006) at least not a U.S. release
Seed of Chucky (Unrated)
I believe Black Christmas came out and Seed of Chucky is out but not sure if its unrated.
Old 11-25-10, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I'll always wonder how Universal decided what titles to release- did ANYONE really want "Mobsters" in hi-def?
In that regard, releasing things like Mobsters and American Me at the beginning of the format, when people were excitedly picking up anything that was put out, is probably the only time you have a chance of making any many. Of course, giving those films only so-so discs -- and sitting on big titles while doing so -- seems like it hurt more than helped.
Old 11-25-10, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bunnydojo
It's funny, Out of Sight was one of the exclusive titles that made me choose HD DVD over Blu-ray, and it still hasn't hit Blu-ray. They actually did a nice job with the disc, too. And I'm amazed The Sting still hasn't made it over. Both would probably be in my top 25 favorites.

Others that come to mind are The Game, Slither, The Big Lebowski, and Billy Madison. They're not all top-quality discs, but I'm happy I've been able to enjoy them over the past couple of years in HD format. This provides some small comfort to the realization that I poured so much money into a format that no longer exists. ...
Out of Sight has been announced. I forget what the date is. And Criterion apparently has The Game now.
Old 11-26-10, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Old 11-26-10, 12:48 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Match
I think that's one out of two or three Warner titles still not on Blu-ray. Not too shocked...
Old 11-26-10, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

The 1994 remake of the Getaway is another one. I'm not sure if titles like this and Mobsters will ever come out on Blu-ray.

They would have to release them straight into the $7.99 bin because no one will pay any more for those titles.

Is it worth the trouble to produce them in the first place? Maybe they'll release them as part of a multiple disc pack but that's about it.
Old 11-26-10, 01:00 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by orangerunner
The 1994 remake of the Getaway is another one. I'm not sure if titles like this and Mobsters will ever come out on Blu-ray.

They would have to release them straight into the $7.99 bin because no one will pay any more for those titles.

Is it worth the trouble to produce them in the first place? Maybe they'll release them as part of a multiple disc pack but that's about it.
Maybe double-packs are something. Universal licensed out a title or two (HD DVD titles before) to Warner (Timecop and some other film...can't remember) for some doublepacks.

Even though the titles were on HD DVD does not mean they will be on Blu-ray. It's not as easy as just copy/pasting it onto a Blu-ray discs, and Blu-ray has different specs and things need to be done (and re-done) for them to work on Blu-ray. Encodes mean nothing. Warner has thousands of BD-Ready titles if we go by what HD Encodes they have on hand, same with just about every studio.
Old 11-26-10, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Maybe double-packs are something. Universal licensed out a title or two (HD DVD titles before) to Warner (Timecop and some other film...can't remember) for some doublepacks.
The remake of The Getaway was the other title licensed to Warner. Warner released a double-feature of both Getaway movies on July 6th.
Old 11-26-10, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
The remake of The Getaway was the other title licensed to Warner. Warner released a double-feature of both Getaway movies on July 6th.
Good call, I never realized this was available. I guess it was a very limited run as I looked around several websites and didn't find it available.

Unfortunately it is also the R-rated version, not the uncut international version.
Old 11-26-10, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner
Good call, I never realized this was available. I guess it was a very limited run as I looked around several websites and didn't find it available.

Unfortunately it is also the R-rated version, not the uncut international version.
AFAIK they were never released.
Old 11-27-10, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
This is my pick. Not only did absolutely no one want this title, but it's one of the worst looking ones, as well.

Then, there's some stuff from the smaller labels, such as BCI.....Galaxina, the 2 Bob Hope double features.

Also...The Ten, P2, River In The Mountains, Channels.
Old 11-27-10, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

I didn't start collecting HD-DVDs until the format died, but I would've bought Galaxina right away. I still paid a bit more for it than most of my other discs.

P2 was the only title put out by Summit Entertainment, and it didn't even make it to stores but copies are always on Ebay now. It was hyped as an 'extremely rare' title for a while and selling at ridiculous prices, but now goes for an average of $5. (Taking Lives from Warner was another title that had a similar situation- but that's already on Blu-Ray.)
Old 11-27-10, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

I might be the only one who owns: American Me HD DVD
Old 11-27-10, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by JohnnyDaBull
I believe Black Christmas came out
No. It was scheduled for release on October 19th of this year, but it wasn't released. Nothing was said as to why. In fact, nothing was said at all. No delayed/cancellation notice or anything.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.