Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Tangled (Disney, 2010) - The Official Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 11-23-10, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

My daughter wants me to take her to see this tomorrow so not seeing a thread on this one I figured it was time. Any early reviews from you dvdtalkers out there?
Old 11-23-10, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Tangled (Disney, 2010) - The Official Reviews Thread

Still working on it. I'm sure your daughter will like it, but I found it entirely perfunctory. It's a Disney Movie down to the "TM"s next to all Official, Certified Disney Magic. Last year's Princess and the Frog felt more genuine, IMO.
Old 11-23-10, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm actually trying to talk her into seeing the new HP as Tangled looks like a pile of shit in my honest opinion.
Old 11-23-10, 11:33 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

little kids have shit taste....hopefully...she grows out of that. Otherwise...I'd still think No Holds Barred is a great movie. The little 5 yr. old in me loves Hulk Hogan too much to say that.
Old 11-24-10, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
little kids have shit taste....hopefully...she grows out of that. Otherwise...I'd still think No Holds Barred is a great movie. The little 5 yr. old in me loves Hulk Hogan too much to say that.
To be honest there are quite a few Disney movies that I enjoy but this one just looks bad.
Old 11-24-10, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

I want to see it based on the twisted advertising, or so I've heard. I read the movie actually focuses on the dude not Rapunzel, but it didn't sit well with test audiences so they marketed up the "princess" angle making it seem like the movie is about Rapunzel.

Anyone see a sneak and can comment as to if there is any truth to that?

I'll take my girls and I like Zachary Levi, so hopefully it isn't too bad.
Old 11-24-10, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

I heard it's pretty damn entertaining from some friends that saw an early sneak/event/something. Also has a 90% on rt (54 positive, 6 negative).
Old 11-24-10, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, the movie is getting great reviews. I plan on seeing it this weekend.
Old 11-24-10, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I'm actually trying to talk her into seeing the new HP as Tangled looks like a pile of shit in my honest opinion.
How old is your daughter? I saw HP on Saturday while I enjoyed the movie it's pretty dark and bleak with very few humors.Also saw one family walk out when
Spoiler:
Hermione get tortured by Bellatrix
couldn't blame them cause I believe one of the kid was crying.
Old 11-24-10, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very few kids movies these days draw me to the theatre but this one looks promising Im sure it'll rake in a ton at the boxoffice. It seems like most kids movies these days just push for profit vs the disney classics from the 90's so heres hoping this film can retain some of disneys previous magic.
Old 11-24-10, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I want to see it based on the twisted advertising, or so I've heard. I read the movie actually focuses on the dude not Rapunzel, but it didn't sit well with test audiences so they marketed up the "princess" angle making it seem like the movie is about Rapunzel.

Funny, I read that Disney was punching up "the dude" in marketing because they were worried audiences would see it as a girl's flick (how could they not?) and it would only do as well as Princess and the Frog. This is supposed to be it for the forseeable future in terms of animated fairy tales from the Mouse House.
Old 11-24-10, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Neither story is that accurate, but KillerCannibal is closer. In pre-production they made sure the characters had equal roles and mid-production they changed the title because they felt the not-too-underwhelming-but-not-that-great performance of Princess and the Frog at the box office was due to young boys not wanting to see a movie about a princess.

Orndorf (***): http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/46866/tangled/
Jason Bailey (**): http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/46850/tangled/
Me (**): http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/46862...ey-digital-3d/
Old 11-24-10, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
It's a Disney Movie down to the "TM"s next to all Official, Certified Disney Magic.
While I'm sure I'll be taking my daughter to see it, the advertising sure makes it looks like a circa-2004 Dreamworks movie.
Old 11-25-10, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Disney's retelling of the story of Rapunzel is briskly paced, with Zach Levi voicing Flynn Ryder, and Mandy Moore voicing/singing for Rapunzel. Rapunzel is this young lady who's been sheltered and lives in a tower high in the sky throughout her formative years. Rapunzel's interesting characteristic is that she has super-long blonde hair with healing powers from a magical flower, which led to her being kidnapped as a baby by Mother Gothel. Rapunzel's hair is so long that Mother has to use Rapunzel's hair to be pulled up to Rapunzel's pad for visits with Rapunzel from time to time.

As it were, the scroundrel of a bandit, Flynn happens on Rapunzel's place after a chase from the palace guards after he snags a satchel with a royal crown in it. Rapunzel smacks Flynn with a iron frying pan, and after taking stock of the situation, convinces Flynn to take her to the place where floating lights come from on the day of her birth. From there, the pair have their adventures, though Mother Gothel is in pursuit of Rapunzel all the while. The 3D version is a little too dark due to film's dark settings at times in the storyline, so 2D is more than adequate for this animated film.

Oh, loved the personality and expressions of the palace horse, Maximus, who has a funny buddy-buddy relationship with Flynn, even with the scrappy "horseplay" between the two of them.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.
Old 11-25-10, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
Disney's retelling of the story of Rapunzel is briskly paced, with Zach Levi voicing Flynn Ryder, and Mandy Moore voicing/singing for Rapunzel. Rapunzel is this young lady who's been sheltered and lives in a tower high in the sky throughout her formative years. Rapunzel's interesting characteristic is that she has super-long blonde hair with healing powers from a magical flower, which led to her being kidnapped as a baby by Mother Gothel. Rapunzel's hair is so long that Mother has to use Rapunzel's hair to be pulled up to Rapunzel's pad for visits with Rapunzel from time to time.

As it were, the scroundrel of a bandit, Flynn happens on Rapunzel's place after a chase from the palace guards after he snags a satchel with a royal crown in it. Rapunzel smacks Flynn with a iron frying pan, and after taking stock of the situation, convinces Flynn to take her to the place where floating lights come from on the day of her birth. From there, the pair have their adventures, though Mother Gothel is in pursuit of Rapunzel all the while. The 3D version is a little too dark due to film's dark settings at times in the storyline, so 2D is more than adequate for this animated film.

Oh, loved the personality and expressions of the palace horse, Maximus, who has a funny buddy-buddy relationship with Flynn, even with the scrappy "horseplay" between the two of them.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.
Does the movie stick to the Grimm's fairy tale original with

Spoiler:
the witch slicing off most of Rapunzel's hair and the hero falling into a pile of thorns and getting blinded in the process?
Old 11-25-10, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Umm... yes/no, I guess.
Old 11-25-10, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts

Visually, the film is beautiful in 3D, but as I watched it two things were constantly on my mind:
Spoiler:

1. How much better Chris Evans would've been as Flynn Rider.

2. How much this film seemed to borrow from The Little Mermaid in terms of character design (Eric, Arial and Ursula's human form), the lanterns/first kiss scene (Kiss the Girl/pond scene), and musical taste
Old 11-25-10, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^I thought Zachary Levi was awesome and Mandy Moore was perfect IMO. The music was good but really reminded me a lot of Beauty and the Beast songs mostly....that said I thought the movie was great fun and probably the best Disney (not pixar) flick in a decade. The 3D was used really well and the cutesy animation style worked really well IMO. Sure the plot was nothing special but I had a great time.
Old 11-26-10, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,357 Likes on 922 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

actually, i read the exact opposite. they focused on the prince in the marketing because they were afraid boys wouldn't see the movie. princess and the frog was a disappointment to disney because they felt that few parents with boys took them to see the movie, because it was aimed at girls.
Old 11-26-10, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

I liked the movie. I'm usually a fan of Menken songs but these didn't knock me out. Still, great cast and good humor.
Old 11-26-10, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw this yesterday and it was much better than Disney's last offering, "Princess and the Frog". This one felt more like the 90s Disney movies to me with a little bit of Shrek type humor with a more of a Disney spin.

I believe the advertising was focusing on Flynn, not Rapunzel. Thus, it was pretty funny when Flynn does his narrative at the beginning and specifically tells you that the movie is not about him but about a girl named Rapunzel.

The boat scene with the lanterns did remind me slightly of the Little Mermaid "Kiss the Girl" scene as well. But, I did think the boat scene had the best musical number in the entire movie and the visuals with the lanterns looked fantastic on the screen.

The other songs were pretty forgettable. The opening number Rapunzel sang sounded like something from "Enchanted", the "Mother Knows Best" songs were not catchy and mostly just vocals, and the song about having a dream didn't catch my ears (was that Everybody Loves Raymond's brother singing?).

I thought Mandy Moore and Zachery Levi were perfect in their roles and Mandy Moore definitely has one of those airy "Princessy" voices. Her tone sounded really good on the magical incantation she has to recite to rev up her hair.

Overall I probably give it an A- (and bonus points for the hilarious cameleon and horse).
Old 11-27-10, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Totally agree with nightwing on just about everything... while I liked Princess and the Frog, the first thing that sprung to mind for me was that it felt a lot more like the 90's Disney movies to me as well. I really enjoyed the heck out of it, and I agree that the music was pretty forgettable sans the Lantern scene which was great visually as well. I got an Aladdin vibe from Flynn, and given that's one of my favorites that helped quite a bit. I loved the little chameleon

I skipped the 3D this time around and just went with the 2D which looked pretty good to me.
Old 11-27-10, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

I saw it and enjoyed it. I'm a huge Disney Princess fan, but this is 1st Dis/Prin feature I've seen in the theaters. I heard someone behind us say it was better than "The Princess and the Frog". I wouldn't know since I haven't seen it yet.

I went in thinking Mother Gothel would be, or should be played but Marina Sirtis(Star Trek: TNG) because the character design reminded me so much of her. But instead it was Donna Murphy(Spider-Man 2). I'm not a huge fan of Murphy's but I think she did a great job here.
Old 11-27-10, 04:15 PM

just saw it. loved it. other than the less than stellar songs, this was a 9 out of 10. Was never bored.. i laughed. I cried.. animation was top notch.

And I would DEFINITELY recommend seeing this in 3D. VERY effective....

A great time for the family....
Old 11-28-10, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

LOVED IT. Also loved Princess & the Frog. P&tF is a better movie on the whole, but Tangled was a more fun experience.

I have to agree with everyone else, the songs are the worst part of the movie. Very forgettable, and I'd almost say, downright awful, however the score was fantastic. Zachary Levi was phenomenal, as was Mandy Moore. The "kingdom" dance scene was very reminiscent of the opening sequence of B&tB. Speaking of, did anyone else catch the "Beast" in the tavern? One of the characters in the bar was definitely Robby Benson who voiced Beast. Looks like it's uncredited if it was.

I loved the Wanted Poster and frying pan gags. I wonder if any of the toys come with a skillet.

If I had to levy one other complaint against the film and it's the character design of Rapunzel. She's very pretty, but I couldn't shake the feeling that she had a Barbie look to her, like she would belong more at home in one of those awful Barbie DVDs. On the flipside, the male 'Prince' characters in the Disney movies never seem to get the same attention to detail as the females, but Flynn's design was excellent.

The theater was packed. I'd say every seat but the front row was full, and given how many kids(plenty of boys too, looks like the ads worked) were in there, it was quite eerie how quiet and glued they were to the movie, especially during the step-mother song. Looks like it might be a bigger hit than P&tF. It also got a round of applause at the end.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.