Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Deep Discount Savings Club

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-10, 06:49 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have been getting emails about a new savings club for DD, and though they have really sucked lately I was still possibly interested. The terms of the deal are finally posted of the web site and it sucks.

JOIN NOW & SAVE AN ADDITIONAL 20% TODAY
Save on today’s order when you join the DeepDiscount Savings Club NOW
The DeepDiscount Savings Club is an EXCLUSIVE membership program that entitles insiders to:

An Additional 20% Savings on one DeepDiscount order EVERY month (even on sale items)*. You decide which order to use your discount on.
Members only access to a theatrical new release DVD per month for only $9.99
FREE Upgraded Trackable Shipping with every DeepDiscount order you place (no minimum purchase)
Up to 30% savings on online purchases at over 600 retailers
Movie tickets for only $5.50 each (additional surcharges may apply in New York City)
Up to 30% savings on restaurant and movie theatre gift cards
Plus Free access to multiple Protection Benefits for your peace of mind
Never miss a day of benefits with our convenient automatic renewal
Offer Details: Simply click the “BUY NOW” button to activate your DeepDiscount Savings Club membership for the reoccurring monthly fee of $19.95. To ensure continuous service, your membership will be automatically charged/debited each month, on or about the same date, to the credit card or account associated with the debit card used in today’s DeepDisount purchase. If for any reason you’re dissatisfied, call our member services toll-free number at 1-800-264-5076 to cancel, and you will no longer be charged or debited. You will be notified in advance of any membership fee changes.

*The additional monthly 20% applies to DVD, Blu-ray, CD, LP and Video Games only

The 20% off in addition to sales like the upcoming 25% off sound great, but at 20 bucks a month it is insane. The only way it might be worth it is if you want to make a huge purchase during one of the better sales and then cancel the membership right away. Then you just have to hope that any of your order actually ships.
Old 11-21-10, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: Deep Discount Savings Club

What does it matter how much you can theoretically save when they never ship anything because they don't pay their vendor bills to stock inventory?
Old 11-22-10, 12:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Simply click the “BUY NOW” button to activate your DeepDiscount Savings Club membership for the reoccurring monthly fee of $19.95.
This is where they lost me. Few things irritate me more than having to cough up a "fee" for the privilege of a lower price. Pretty sure I won't be a DD customer much in the future, which sucks because I always liked their sales and selection.

Oh well.
Old 11-22-10, 01:09 AM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

This seems really over priced. I think they would have more luck at 19.99 a year.
Old 11-22-10, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by RonG617
...Simply click the “BUY NOW” button to activate your DeepDiscount Savings Club membership for the reoccurring monthly fee of $19.95. To ensure continuous service, your membership will be automatically charged/debited each month, on or about the same date, to the credit card or account associated with the debit card used in today’s DeepDisount purchase...
Originally Posted by Dr. Calamari
This is where they lost me. Few things irritate me more than having to cough up a "fee" for the privilege of a lower price. Pretty sure I won't be a DD customer much in the future, which sucks because I always liked their sales and selection.

Oh well.
Same here, unless they keep the other sales and pricing structure in place. Even the, the "Savings Club" is a big *no sale* for me!

When I first saw the price I thought "~$20/year is pretty good" and then read the fine print to see it's ~$20/month!?!?!. Considering I have ZERO interest in cheaper movie tickets, dining out discounts, discounts from sites which I most likely *never* use/shop at (no list? really?), coupled with the simple fact that you'd have to purchase *at least* $100 worth of product *MONTHLY* just to break even...it's a no brainer. While I *do* spend that or more in *most* months it's not all from DD because I can find it for less elsewhere! If they truly still had the lowest prices this *might* be worth a look. Given the current state of affairs at DD??? No way.
Old 11-22-10, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts

$19.95/month?
Old 11-23-10, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I read the price.. and ....

Old 11-23-10, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

It's not only 100 bucks a month you have to spend to break even (on just orders alone) you have to spend it all in one go, since it's only one order per month. But hey, now I can track the package to see why it takes a month to get here.
Old 11-24-10, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
It's not only 100 bucks a month you have to spend to break even (on just orders alone) you have to spend it all in one go, since it's only one order per month. But hey, now I can track the package to see why it takes a month to get here.

That would almost be worth it, just to see how things work there.

Day 01: Order placed by customer for in-stock item.
Day 02: Spent the whole day on a rock/paper/scissors tournament to decide who would check inventory.
Day 03: Checked inventory, item is actually on back-order.
Day 04: Contacted vendor, but there was no answer so we left a message and took a half-day.
Day 05: Vendor contacted us back, demanding we pay them before they send us any more product.
Day 06: We waited until a bunch of other people also placed orders on the same out-of-stock item to justify our paying the vendor for said items, then we wrote a check out, but by then the post office was closed.
Day 07: Post office is open, so we drop the check in the mail, take a long lunch, then come back to the offices and watch some TV.
Day 08: Waiting.
Day 09: Waiting.
Day 10: Waiting.
Day 11: Waiting.
Day 12: Bank contacts us, check bounced.
Day 13: We email you telling you it will be a short while longer until we have your item in stock.
Day 14: Vendor contacts us, check bounced.
Day 15: We wait for a few more orders, then send out another check.
Day 16: Waiting.
Day 17: Waiting, had a wine tasting.
Day 18: Waiting.
Day 19: Vendor tells us the check cleared this time and they'll send us the items, just as soon as they press up some more.
Day 20: Waiting.
Day 21: Waiting.
Day 22: Vendor finds that they actually had some extras on a truck to Big Lots and says they'll send them to us instead.
Day 23: Waiting.
Day 24: Waiting.
Day 25: Waiting.
Day 26: Waiting, but we send you another email just to let you know we haven't forgotten about you yet.
Day 27: Waiting.
Day 28: The post office tried to deliver the items, but our entire office was out to lunch and thus unable to sign for the packages, so they said they'd try again tomorrow around the same time.
Day 29: We were out to lunch again when they tried to deliver the items, so they said they'd come back again tomorrow, a little earlier.
Day 30: We figured they would come back around the same time, despite whatever the note said, and so we took an early lunch. Turns out, they really did come earlier and thus we missed them again, but they did leave a note saying the packages were being sent back to vendor.
Day 31: We contact vendor and tell them to please send the packages back once they receive them. They say they will for a restocking fee, but luckily some other people have placed orders for the same item, which we still have listed as in-stock, so we pay them and they say they'll ship them out when they get them back.
Day 32: We receive notification that the vendor has receive and will ship the item back out the following day.
Day 33: Vendor sends item back to us.
Day 34: Waiting.
Day 35: Waiting.
Day 36: Waiting.
Day 37: Waiting, played hacky sack.
Day 38: Waiting.
Day 39: We were all out to lunch, but luckily the intern stuck around and was there to receive the packages.
Day 40: We opened all the packages and called it a day.
Day 41: We all came in and had a party for Tom.
Day 42: Work was canceled, we were tired from the after party.
Day 43: We take the items from the boxes and put them on our shelves, not really counting how many items we got in or worrying about fulfilling orders.
Day 44: We start fulfilling orders alphabetically and get through half of the inventory when someone says we should probably fill the orders as they came in, so we put everything back on the shelves and figure we'll deal with it tomorrow.
Day 45: We realize we didn't actually keep track of the orders as they came in, and thus start to fulfill orders alphabetically again. We do half of the orders, then call it a day.
Day 46: We fulfill the rest of the orders, alphabetically.
Day 47: We had 150 orders and received 145 items, but luckily your last name starts with an M so your order has been fulfilled.
Day 48: We realized we were out of cheap mailing envelopes and had to go to the store, luckily they had them in stock, which came as a great surprise to us.
Day 49: We spent the whole day packaging the orders, but really we just set each envelope up as a sort of basket and then threw the DVDs into the envelopes, like a game of basketball. We missed...a lot.
Day 50: Loaded up the truck to take the packages to the post office, but we got a flat tire and had to call Triple AAA.
Day 51: Got to the post office and mailed all the packages, including yours.
Day 52: Package left our local post office and went to distribution center.
Day 54: Package left distribution center and went to your local post office.
Day 55: Out for delivery and delivered.