Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Year long movie challenge idea...

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
View Poll Results: Would you participate?
Yes
37.50%
No
62.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-10, 07:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is an idea that has been brewing for awhile so I thought I'd throw it out there and see if people bite. Instead of the regular "challenges" where you try to watch as many movies as possible in a given time frame, this one only requires one movie a day, and if you do it right you can blend it into the other challenges people setup through out the year. The catch is the movie you watch that day has to somehow be related to the day/date. For example Strange Days would be a good one for New Year's Day since that is the time frame the movie centers on. Tora Tora Tora would obviously be a good one for 7 Dec and Ground Hog Day for that day. For the "named" days (Easter, Thanksgiving, etc) you could use a movie related to that theme instead of the specific date. Where the creativity comes in finding how a movie links to a particular day, for example A Man for All Season IMHO would be good for either 7 Feb (when Thomas More was born) or 6 July (when he was executed). It doesn't have to be strictly historical movies as well (Strange Days already being an example) for example the X Files movie could be used for 22 Dec since that date was a part of that movie. The main thing is the movie has to somehow tie into the date, if people want we could even allow something as simple as it being that movie's release date, or DVD release date.

Anyway, that's the idea. To be honest I'm not entirely sure I'm up for it as a year is a long time, and this is going to require some thinking/research The way I envision it is the usual two threads, w/ a sticky for the lists (give the date, the movie and the connection) and a general discussion thread. If people are interested I can set it up. Looking at the number of participants in the recent challenges (based on the number of posts in the "list" threads), aside from the Horror (which seems to attract a lot more people) the avg seems to be in the 30s-40s, so if 42 people vote "yes" I'll set it up.