Fringe moving to Fridays, Bones moves to 9PM

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-10, 07:01 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Fringe moving to Fridays, Bones moves to 9PM

http://insidetv.ew.com/2010/11/19/fo...and-thursdays/

Don't give a shit about American Idol, but Bones will move from 8 to 9 on Thursdays and Fringe will move to Fridays oh wait, opposite Supernatural
Old 11-19-10, 07:09 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Fringe moving to Fridays, Bones moves to 9PM

Fringe is dead.
Old 11-19-10, 07:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, it will join the likes of T:TSCC and Dollhouse. Oh well, 3 seasons is more than I expected. Hope they at least end it well.
Old 11-19-10, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Damnit Fox! I hope this either gets atleast one more season or possibly picked up by another network!
Old 11-19-10, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Does Bones get better ratings then Fringe? I watch both but Fringe seems to be the better received show.
Old 11-19-10, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm surprised it took them this long to move Fringe.
Old 11-19-10, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

jesus christ. seems like they want to kill off fringe. however, if Fringe were to remain at about 5.5 million viewers per episode, Fox might consider that a success and keep it around.

I will say putting Hard Target behind American Idol will help it significantly. Maybe that shows the network's support behind it and the hope that it can become a 24-like franchise.
Old 11-19-10, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Timber
Does Bones get better ratings then Fringe?
Much better ratings than Fringe. However, I think Fringe has a lot of DVR viewers but not enough compared to Bones.
Old 11-19-10, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by conscience
Much better ratings than Fringe. However, I think Fringe has a lot of DVR viewers but not enough compared to Bones.
Yep, just quickly glancing over the TV ratings thread, I found 3 weeks worth and I suspect they're all like that save for the season premieres which were likely higher.

10/14: Bones - 9.5m, Fringe - 5.3m
11/11: Bones - 9.1m, Fringe - 5m
11/18: Bones - 9.4m, Fringe - 4.9m
Old 11-19-10, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Putting two of the best shows on TV against each other is moronic. It used to do much better in the original time slot it was in a few years ago. Then moved it opposite CSI.
Old 11-19-10, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Putting two of the best shows on TV against each other is moronic. It used to do much better in the original time slot it was in a few years ago. Then moved it opposite CSI.
In fairness, I don't think CSI and Fringe have that many viewer crossover plus CSI has been dropping in ratings since William Petersen left anyway. Maybe Grey's Anatomy had more of an effect on Fringe?
Old 11-19-10, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
In fairness, I don't think CSI and Fringe have that many viewer crossover plus CSI has been dropping in ratings since William Petersen left anyway. Maybe Grey's Anatomy had more of an effect on Fringe?
I kinda believe the reason for Fringes low rating is due to Supernatural. If i remember correctly it was doing about 7-9 million during its first season when it had the post 24 or Idol timeslot. Then for season 2 Fox moved it to Thursday against Supernatural and the other big shows. Supernatural and Fringe have the same type of viewers and they had to pick between a show that they have been following for 4-5 years or a only decent show (at the time) that just finished its first season, and they picked Supernatural.
Old 11-19-10, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

WTF is Million Dollar Money Drop??

The Good news I guess is that it's out of the congested Thursday night. The bad news, Friday's at 9pm aren't ideal either. It's against CSI NY, which will win the timeslot handsdown, and 2 news magazines (Dateline and Primetime) It will be hard pressed to get at least 1.5 in the demos and that all that really matters, not the overall viewership.

Edit: I just read a quote from Kevin Reilly, FOX's Entertainment President, and he said that if Fringe somehow manages to stay close to it's Thursday numbers during Friday, then they will be happy. We'll see I guess. I don't like pairing it with Kitchen Nightmares though.

Last edited by DJariya; 11-19-10 at 10:34 PM.
Old 11-19-10, 10:43 PM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts

Oh well... I'll still watch Fringe.
Old 11-20-10, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

The Fox network doesn't like to just cancel shows, it likes to give them a hate-fuck first.
Old 11-20-10, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by macontosh2000
I kinda believe the reason for Fringes low rating is due to Supernatural. If i remember correctly it was doing about 7-9 million during its first season when it had the post 24 or Idol timeslot. Then for season 2 Fox moved it to Thursday against Supernatural and the other big shows. Supernatural and Fringe have the same type of viewers and they had to pick between a show that they have been following for 4-5 years or a only decent show (at the time) that just finished its first season, and they picked Supernatural.
Ah, that's true.

Wonder how "Bones" will do against "CSI" (and vice versa).
Old 11-20-10, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk God

IIRC, Fringe actually had the Post-Idol timeslot during season 1 on Tuesday's and was getting around 12-13M viewers a week. It did average around 9M in season 1. There were several times when Idol ran long and Fringe got cut off for those who recorded the show.
Old 11-20-10, 04:03 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Why move a show which is doing well ?

Fringe is the most improved show by a mile
Old 11-20-10, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I watch both CSI and Fringe!

That being said, this move sucks, and my wife and I are devastated that our favorite show is being killed by Fox.
Old 11-20-10, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

The irony is that Fringe is killing it this season
Old 11-20-10, 11:09 AM
Suspended

Ah, that's true.

Wonder how "Bones" will do against "CSI" (and vice versa).
Bones has a "commitment" for next season, and they are working on a spin off for it as well. The 2 years 'renewal' ends this May, but with everything else on Fox failing, It'll come back. Syndication is huge for this show (like House), and it does not have any big stars attached to it.

Fringe is in an interesting position. Its been getting a 1.9-2.1 all year behind Bones, and moving it to Friday might be a good thing. If it can maintain a 1.5+, it'll be a lock for next year because Friday has typically been a death zone for Fox with new shows (1.0s..), but House/Bones/Glee repeat very well in it.

Fringe will also have 66 episodes, so WB might be willing to deal a bit with Fox for a final Season to get it to a Sydication-like number of 88 episodes. Or it goes to NBC once Warner takes over.

But you guys are forgetting next year 3 hours are essentially gone to the X Factor, and another for Terra Nova. Fox needs to cancel a shit ton of shows. Lie To Me, Human Target, Fringe...all likely gone (or summer shows). If no one has noticed, HT is ending in February, and LTM around that time as well. No back 9 has been ordered, not will that likely happen (unless it's summer filler)

Between 3 hours of X Factor, 1 Terra Nova, 1 Bones, 1 House, 1 Glee, 1 Raising Hope/30 Min Comedy there is not much left for anything else (assuming Bones/Raising Hope/30 Min Comedy gets renewed) unless it lands on Friday - since none of the above are going to go there (I guess Bones is a possability if Fox wants to bump up the night - fans will follow that show).

I keep forgetting Fox still has other shows like Kitchen Nightmare and those 2 30 Minute Comedies. It'll be a bloodbath in May for every network. ABC is set to cancel just about every freshman show, Fox has to kill of lots of it's own, and NBC...well...wow.
Old 11-20-10, 11:13 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by DJariya
IIRC, Fringe actually had the Post-Idol timeslot during season 1 on Tuesday's and was getting around 12-13M viewers a week. It did average around 9M in season 1. There were several times when Idol ran long and Fringe got cut off for those who recorded the show.
You frequent TVbyThenumbers.com?

You should. They are very heavy on all these TV Stats and you will see why 'millions of viewers' means nothing. All about the demo numbers.
Old 11-20-10, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It'll be a pretty big sham if Fox cancels Fringe after the season they've delivered this year.
Old 11-20-10, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So does this mean Fringe is being canceled? I certainly hope not, but It wouldn't surprise me if it only lasts another season at best on Friday night. It seems network's will cancel anything airing on Friday night regardless of ratings (CBS' treatment of Medium - I'm looking at you!)
Old 11-20-10, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
You frequent TVbyThenumbers.com?

You should. They are very heavy on all these TV Stats and you will see why 'millions of viewers' means nothing. All about the demo numbers.
Yes, I frequent that site alot and I very much know it's all about the demos.

And yeah I know FOX needs to free up at least 4 hours from their schedule for X Factor and Terra Nova, so if we're lucky 1 of those bubble shows will return.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.