Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Re done in HD

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Re done in HD

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-10, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re done in HD

I think I read somewhere that movies, tv shows etc
can be " redone " in HD .... is this true ?
kind of remastered... ? Im confused !
Old 11-15-10, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re done in HD

what!!!!
Old 11-15-10, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Standard definition material can be upconverted, where they use software to extrapolate extra lines of resolution from what's already there, but it doesn't truly add information, just makes it look less bad on a hidef display.

And any movie shot on film is always going to have more "resolution" than hidef. Film has upwards of over 8000 lines of resolution (if not more), and even Bluray is just at 1080 lines.
Old 11-15-10, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemmy
They've "remastered" Seinfeld for HD, but I believe it's just a cropped picture for TBS (or some such cable channel).

Dunno if there's anything else, though.
Seinfeld was shot on 35mm film (as are the majority of prime-time television shows) and the hi-def versions in syndication were struck from the source prints, so it really is hi-def and is higher resolution than the original broadcasts. They're also cropped to 16x9, which I dislike considerably. As someone whose seen most episodes of Seinfeld multiple times, the framing often seems height-cramped and at times genuinely affects the presentation of the physical comedy.

As for the OP, the majority of television shows prior to the HDTV era were shot on film and thus can be transferred to hi-def if the original film elements are still available. As has already been mentioned, 35mm film has an "effective resolution" that is higher than 1080p so any movie, tv show, etc with film elements available can be given a hi-def master. The exception for some TV shows would be any special effects rendered in post at only standard definition, such as the case with Firefly. Those shots are usually "upconverted" rather than truly re-rendered in HD for a hi-def release, which can result in uneven picture quality.
Old 11-15-10, 11:57 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Essentially, they scan the show into a computer which scans the elements and renders the entire program in 3D. Then, they have the computer play the show back in HD, and press the disc.
Old 11-15-10, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Essentially, they scan the show into a computer which scans the elements and renders the entire program in 3D. Then, they have the computer play the show back in HD, and press the disc.
Actually, I thought when it was rendered in true-to-life 3D, they project it like a hologram and re-film it with HD cameras.
Old 11-15-10, 12:23 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Actually, I thought when it was rendered in true-to-life 3D, they project it like a hologram and re-film it with HD cameras.
That would make more sense, as it allows them to adjust camera angles if necessary...for example, what if the original program had a boom in the shot?
Old 11-15-10, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemmy
Whoah! Thanks for the info...I wonder if they'll release the season sets in HD? Hmmmm....I'd buy them, and I don't do too much "TV on DVD".
I have to think they'll be released on Blu-ray at some point, though it may be quite awhile before Blu-ray penetration is high enough to justify it. Seinfeld is a massive cash cow and while I don't think we'll see the same overall amount of TV on BD as we've seen on DVD, Seinfeld is the kind of signature show that will likely see a release eventually. The question is, will it be 16x9 or 4x3?
Old 11-16-10, 02:38 PM

to my way of thinking the HD revolution in TV is brilliant
though clips sent on the web or in torrents are going to be much bigger files.

Doing caps from HD TV clips.... wow you end up with a hi quality digi photo !
I say roll on HD
( even Glenn Becks TV show is going out in HD ! )