Old 11-14-10, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Boardwalk Empire -- "Belle Femme" -- 11/14/10

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2010-09-03

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Jimmy returns from Chicago to help his old boss in his escalating war with his rivals, but is given a rude welcome by Van Alden. Meanwhile, the D'Alessio brothers are introduced to an important patron in New York; Margaret helps Madame Jeunet save her boutique; and Nucky shakes up the city's leadership pecking order.

Episode 9 of 12

Written by Steve Kornacki

Directed by Brad Anderson
Old 11-14-10, 10:19 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts
Re: Boardwalk Empire -- "Belle Femme" -- 11/14/10

Rothstein making the D'Alessio brothers sign life insurance policies to finalize their deal was bad ass.

Nucky has no idea of the monster he's creating in Margaret. That was a cold as ice delivery when she told Madame Jeunet that it wasn't her daughter that took care of her problem.

I was expecting Richard to take care of Billy when he was out in the open.
Old 11-15-10, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm waiting for Jimmy to ask Nucky when he's going to stop talking to him like he was a piece of shit. Jimmy had better respect in Chicago, why go back to Atlantic City to eat shit from half a gangster? Sure, his wife and kid are in Atlantic City, and his mother, and his roots....but he needs to stand up to Nucky. Oh oh oh, but now that Jimmy is locked up, he needs to kiss Nucky's ass in order to get free...so it's an endless cycle.
Old 11-15-10, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another solid episode. That old butler may not seem like much but he turned into a bad ass when the shit hit the fan.

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
I'm waiting for Jimmy to ask Nucky when he's going to stop talking to him like he was a piece of shit. Jimmy had better respect in Chicago, why go back to Atlantic City to eat shit from half a gangster? Sure, his wife and kid are in Atlantic City, and his mother, and his roots....but he needs to stand up to Nucky. Oh oh oh, but now that Jimmy is locked up, he needs to kiss Nucky's ass in order to get free...so it's an endless cycle.

I dont know that he talks to him like hes a piece of shit any more so than he talks to any of his underlings. He talks down to his brother the same way. Jimmy has an allegiance to Nuck, hes sort of a father figure to him. Plus he realized with the mob he would never be anything more than a hired hand. In AC hes already getting a cut of the pie and there is no ceiling on how far up he can go.

Last edited by Thrush; 11-15-10 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-15-10, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, nucky pointed that out in the last one, that as a non-italian, he had pretty much reached his ceiling in chicago.
Old 11-15-10, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
I dont know that he talks to him like hes a piece of shit any more so than he talks to any of his underlings. He talks down to his brother the same way. Jimmy has an allegiance to Nuck, hes sort of a father figure to him.
I agree, as I equate Nucky and Jimmy to Tony Soprano and Christopher Moltisanti, as Tony always kinda talked down to him but I thought that was more like a parent talking to his kid.

Overall, great episode and I am so glad I stuck with this show, as I think it definitely took alot of time to get going.

Has anyone heard how many seasons they plan to do, since we all know what happens to Rothstein, Capone, there has to be an arc to this show? Or will they just take it season to season?
Old 11-15-10, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by coli
Has anyone heard how many seasons they plan to do, since we all know what happens to Rothstein, Capone, there has to be an arc to this show? Or will they just take it season to season?
They'll probably go season-by-season, ratings-by-ratings, and see how it goes.

I dont know that he talks to him like hes a piece of shit any more so than he talks to any of his underlings. He talks down to his brother the same way.
Jimmy goes to help himself to tea (or coffee), and Nucky says, "did you ask if you could have tea?" Or if Jimmy tries to sit down, Nucky attacks: "did I say you could sit down?" Nucky doesn't do that to his brother, or to anyone, really. Only to Jimmy, and why? Because Jimmy displeased him. So, when does it end? The ceiling may have been reached in Chicago, but Jimmy had respect there. Going back to Atlantic City, to endure that horrible parent-to-child approach from your father-figure and mentor....meh. I'd go back to Chicago.
Old 11-15-10, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Jimmy goes to help himself to tea (or coffee), and Nucky says, "did you ask if you could have tea?" Or if Jimmy tries to sit down, Nucky attacks: "did I say you could sit down?" Nucky doesn't do that to his brother, or to anyone, really. Only to Jimmy, and why? Because Jimmy displeased him. So, when does it end? The ceiling may have been reached in Chicago, but Jimmy had respect there. Going back to Atlantic City, to endure that horrible parent-to-child approach from your father-figure and mentor....meh. I'd go back to Chicago.
The downside to chicago while he might have had more respect, if a fall guy was needed for something, he'd be the first to get thrown under the bus. I'd guess he was aware of that danger. At least nucky is getting him out of jail.
Old 11-15-10, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts

That old butler may not seem like much but he turned into a bad ass when the shit hit the fan.
Agreed. Nucky always seemed irritated by him, but that bad-ass mofo saved his life and shot one of them bastards. I'd like to see Nucky being grateful for once after that.
Old 11-15-10, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Agreed. Nucky always seemed irritated by him, but that bad-ass mofo saved his life and shot one of them bastards. I'd like to see Nucky being grateful for once after that.

I felt that was the best part of the show, I actually cheered
Old 11-16-10, 12:02 AM

Really good episode. I'm now really looking forward to each episode. I no longer fast forward through 50% of the show. It's really built up some momentum.
Old 11-16-10, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Coral
Irritated by him, yes. Yet he kept him around, so Nuck must have known he had something good in the bungler. And he was right.
Old 11-16-10, 05:31 PM

This is the best television I've seen since the Sopranos was at its peak. Outside of Van Alden's self-flagellation a few episodes back, I don't think there's been a single scene that wasn't extraordinarily well-written.
Old 11-17-10, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This episode was outstanding. I really, really like this show.

As far as Van Alden's self-flagellation, I found it interesting and somewhat fitting that he is a fucking weirdo. This may sound strange but that made me like his character even more. I actually said to myself, "Oh, this guy is fucking crazy. Cool." That coming together with the religious overtones is shaping Nelson into a very interesting character.

Originally Posted by MrX
Me too, the first thing I thought when Billy stepped out of the car.
Old 11-17-10, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
This episode was outstanding. I really, really like this show.

As far as Van Alden's self-flagellation, I found it interesting and somewhat fitting that he is a fucking weirdo. This may sound strange but that made me like his character even more. I actually said to myself, "Oh, this guy is fucking crazy. Cool." That coming together with the religious overtones is shaping Nelson into a very interesting character.
I wonder what his obsession is with Margaret Schroeder. Does the woman remind him of his mother? An ex-girlfriend? Or is he just "taken" with her looks, as they are, and wants to protect her? That a guy like Nucky Thompson isn't good enough for her?
Old 11-17-10, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MrX
Billy's the rat the fed shot? I just wonder how the fed can explain the cuffs being off the prisoner? Sure, fine, Billy made a lunge for the gun, but how'd the prisoner get out of his cuffs? Van Alden already thinks the fed is an incompetent asshole, this will surely be the icing on the cake for his dismissal. Well, guess Nucky will pay him for a job well done.
Old 11-17-10, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Yeah, "I took the cuffs off so he could piss" will definitely work for an alibi.

And Jimmy mentioned asking his father and Nucky said something like "Are you that desperate." Seems to throw a crimp in the Nucky is Jimmy's dad theory. I wonder who it could be.
Old 11-17-10, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
And Jimmy mentioned asking his father and Nucky said something like "Are you that desperate." Seems to throw a crimp in the Nucky is Jimmy's dad theory. I wonder who it could be.
I'd bet dollars to donuts that Jimmy's father is NONE OTHER THAN The Commodore! (and I don't mean Lionel Richie.)
Old 11-17-10, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'd bet dollars to donuts that Jimmy's father is NONE OTHER THAN The Commodore! (and I don't mean Lionel Richie.)
Yep. I am almost certain that shortly in the future it will be revealed that the Commodore is Jimmy's pop.
Old 11-18-10, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
Yep. I am almost certain that shortly in the future it will be revealed that the Commodore is Jimmy's pop.
Nah, that would be almost as obvious as Nucky being Jimmy's pop.

I wonder how Nucky's son died.
Old 11-18-10, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think its someone who still has something to lose if it became know he had an illegitimate child. The Commodore has been to prison, is no longer in office and is on death's door. There is no reason for him not to have contact with Jimmy or at least be kept abreast of how hes doing. Yet he and Nuck have never discussed Jimmy even after all of the huge things that have happened of late in Jimmy's life. It looks like Nuck did for Jimmy and his mom the same thing hes doing for Harding's mistress and illegitimate child. Took care of them for some bigwig.
Old 11-18-10, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There is no reason for him not to have contact with Jimmy or at least be kept abreast of how hes doing. Yet he and Nuck have never discussed Jimmy even after all of the huge things that have happened of late in Jimmy's life.
In the first or second episode, Nuck and The Commodore are discussing Jimmy. Nuck is telling him that it was Jimmy who pulled the heist and killed those men. The Commodore said something like, "Jimmy? I didn't think he had it in him."