Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Kukla, Fran and Ollie-The First Episodes on DVD Nov. 20

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-10, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kukla, Fran and Ollie-The First Episodes on DVD Nov. 20

I've been a Kukla, Fran and Ollie fan since I rediscovered them on the internets about 6 years ago. I'm so glad the Kuklapolitan Website and the Burr Tillstrom Trust are putting out this DVD set. Info from the Kuklapolitan Website:

The Kuklapolitan Website is proud to announce that a close collaboration with The Burr Tillstrom Copyright Trust has led to Kukla, Fran and Ollie kinescopes from 1949-54 finally being available on DVD.

The two-DVD set of 20 digitally restored episodes, which have never been commercially available in any format, will be released through Amazon.com and the Chicago History Museum at a price of $14.95. You can order your copy beginning on Fran's birthday, November 20th.

The DVD was produced with great care by your humble webmaster, and a significant portion of the sales will be donated to charity to promote and preserve Burr's legacy. (My services were donated, and no monies from the sale of the DVD will benefit the website or me. ) If you're a fan of the show, please spread the word!

The DVD includes the following shows:

Disc One

12/5/49 Salute To Television
9/8/49 Screen Test
9/26/49 Madame Ooglepuss Loses Her Wig
8/17/49 Lemonade
10/6/49 Ice Cream - with Dave Garroway
10/31/49 Halloween
11/30/49 Kukla Kiddish
12/20/49 Making A Christmas Tree Stand
12/28/49 Hansel and Gretel

Bonus: Homecoming - with Gene Rayburn (excerpt)

Disc Two

6/28/50 Puppetry Festival
11/3/50 As You Like It
12/20/50 Winter Carnival
11/26/51 First 15 Minute Show
12/5/51 Guppies Gavotte
12/12/51 Fran Practices Christmas Singing
4/22/52 June Lockhart
5/2/52 Leaving New York
10/12/52 Fifth Birthday
1/3/54 Miss VUHF
2/21/54 "The Mikado" Dress Rehearsal

Bonus: Sweet William (excerpt)
Bonus: "Here We Are" (excerpt)

I can't post links to other sites yet, but if you Google "Kuklapolitan Website" you can find a link to the article above, and also links to Youtube clips of some of the shows on the DVD.
Old 11-13-10, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: Kukla, Fran and Ollie-The First Episodes on DVD Nov. 20

This show was before my time. Any of the original cast still alive? I remember "Howdy Doody," but nothing earlier.
Old 11-13-10, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts

I use to watch this show in the early 70's...my favorite was the film from Japan they showed, "Skinny & Fatty".
Old 11-13-10, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
This show was before my time. Any of the original cast still alive? I remember "Howdy Doody," but nothing earlier.
Actually, "Howdy Doody" and "Kukla, Fran and Ollie" started the same year, 1947, and both ended up on NBC. HD was on in the afternoon, and KFO had a time slot around 7 pm if you lived on the east coast, 6 pm central time.

Neither of the two cast members are still alive. Burr Tillstrom, the puppeteer, passed away in 1985, Fran Allison died in 1989. However the director, Lew Gomavitz, is still with us. He turned 98 on November 2nd. The Archive of American Television interviewed "Gommy" (as he was known on KFO) about 10 years ago. Some of that interview is available on Youtube. Burr Tillstrom left the Kulapolitans to The Chicago History Museum in his will. I got to see a few of them last Wednesday when I attended a seminar about Chicago children's TV at the Museum. It was great!
Old 11-13-10, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jaymole
I use to watch this show in the early 70's...my favorite was the film from Japan they showed, "Skinny & Fatty".
Yeah, that's when KFO hosted The CBS Children's Film Festival. Their original show was completely different. I was born in 1962, so that's how I remember them too. I like their early shows way better.
Old 11-13-10, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice news!!!!!!
Old 12-17-10, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by BuelahWitch
Actually, "Howdy Doody" and "Kukla, Fran and Ollie" started the same year, 1947, and both ended up on NBC. HD was on in the afternoon, and KFO had a time slot around 7 pm if you lived on the east coast, 6 pm central time.

Neither of the two cast members are still alive. Burr Tillstrom, the puppeteer, passed away in 1985, Fran Allison died in 1989. However the director, Lew Gomavitz, is still with us. He turned 98 on November 2nd. The Archive of American Television interviewed "Gommy" (as he was known on KFO) about 10 years ago. Some of that interview is available on Youtube. Burr Tillstrom left the Kulapolitans to The Chicago History Museum in his will. I got to see a few of them last Wednesday when I attended a seminar about Chicago children's TV at the Museum. It was great!
Lewis Gomavitz (Gommy) is now deceased. He died December 1, 2010 in Camarillo, CA. He leaves behind his wife, Patricia, two step children and 2 step grandsons.