Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DeepDiscount Sold-For those interested to know a little of details.

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-10, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who knows what will happen with dvdplanet and deepdiscount bi-annual sales. Just posted this for those who may be interested as many do not check store forum and this is directly related to orders.

O.C. wholesaler buys CD, DVD seller
November 11th, 2010, 11:30 am · 1 Comment · posted by Jan Norman, small-business columnist
Super D, an Irvine-based music and video wholesaler, has bought the assets of financially troubled Infinity Resources in Illinois.

Infinity is best known for its catalogs — Collectors’ Choice Music and Critics’ Choice Video — and DeepDiscount.com.

Super D has annual revenues of about $150 million and 200 employees. Infinity grosses about $80 million and has 280 employees including 90 in a call center, said Super D President Jeff Walker.

Although the exact terms of the deal were not disclosed, Walker said Super D assumed Infinity’s financial liabilities including approximately $11 million in accounts payable. The transaction was financed by PNC Bank in Pasadena with an expansion of Super D’s asset-based line of credit and a 24-month term loan. The monthly payment is $200,000 and Walker said he is confident Super D can pay the loan off early.
Super D, founded as an independent music store CD Listening Bar in 1990, has more than 340,000 titles of CDs, vinyl, DVDs and video games in stock from 32 countries. The company distributes to 1,500 independent music retailers, chain stores and e-commerce web sites and direct to consumers.

“We are moving our business toward direct-to-consumer sales rather than retailers because there are fewer stores with less selection,” Walker said. “We’re also moving more into DVDs and a good portion of Infinity is in DVDs.”

Super D and Infinity officials had talked briefly about an acquisition in January, Walker said, but the first serious conversation was in October and the deal closed within four weeks.

“They were in a dire situation,” he said. “They had overbuild their facilities and didn’t manage as tight as we do. Then they fell behind in payables to vendors, and their bank tightened available capital.”

Last edited by IamLegend; 11-13-10 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-13-10, 10:42 AM

Re: DeepDiscount Sold-For those interested to know a little of details.

Maybe now they will start shipping the products people purchase.

Shouldnt this also be in the store section?
Old 11-13-10, 10:46 AM

That makes sense as to why things are backordered for a loooong time. If you don't pay your vendors, they will not ship product to you on terms. The vendors then sell to DD on a cash upfront basis only....
Old 11-13-10, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by DeepSleep
That makes sense as to why things are backordered for a loooong time. If you don't pay your vendors, they will not ship product to you on terms. The vendors then sell to DD on a cash upfront basis only....
Exactly what I posted in the other thread in the store forum when reading this, but I suspected it for a long time. It's just finally been confirmed. And like I said, I'm mad that they weren't honest about the situation with some sort of "Dear Customer, due to financial problems we will be unable to fulfill your orders for an unknown amount of time until we get our finances straight" type of email. Instead they chose to keep saying our orders would be fulfilled very soon (21 days or less). I don't like being BS'd.

It appears the new official place to discuss this stuff is at:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum...korders-2.html
Old 11-13-10, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No store would ever inform their customers that they have financial problems preventing them from shipping their orders. It just wouldn't happen.
Old 11-13-10, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does DD and Collectors choice also own Second Spin ?...I ask because all my packages from them read Infinity Resources in Illinois.
If so ,it has not affected the shipping for second spin ....their packages have been arriving days after I order.
Old 11-13-10, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

How interesting I would never have guessed that DD (absolute crap customer service) & CCM (the best) were the same company!

Super D is an import cd wholesaler who has also gone into retail on ebay & Amazon the last couple years. Some may know them as Phantom, which was their name for many years before they became Super D.

Last edited by MooMooMooMoo; 11-13-10 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-13-10, 12:31 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Drake
Does DD and Collectors choice also own Second Spin ?...I ask because all my packages from them read Infinity Resources in Illinois.
If so ,it has not affected the shipping for second spin ....their packages have been arriving days after I order.
Don't know, but SecondSpin only sells what they have in their inventory since it's used.
Old 11-13-10, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowlt4
Or they could cancel all backorders and say they are starting fresh.
A hopeful sign that this won't happen is that they purchased the debt and not just the assets. It shows that the company is on going and will take care of its obligations.
Old 11-13-10, 01:44 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

They seriously should have been stopped from using the name "Deep Discount". Their DVDs were not deeply discounted in comparison to other retailers, and in fact were often more expensive.
Old 11-13-10, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
They seriously should have been stopped from using the name "Deep Discount".
I ask the same thing when I walk into a "best buy"
Old 11-13-10, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean
No store would ever inform their customers that they have financial problems preventing them from shipping their orders. It just wouldn't happen.
Absolutely correct. Once ordered some expensive material from a merchant and the next year when I wanted to reorder they asked for cash upfront before they could deliver a $1000 order. I ended the conversation as fast as possible and went elsewhere. They went under within a few weeks.
Old 11-13-10, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Drake
Perhaps they have an arrangement with them, but Secondspin is owned by Trans World (FYE). I confirmed that it still is by looking in their Privacy Policy:
http://www.secondspin.com/help/privacy.jsp

Last edited by kenbenobi; 11-13-10 at 03:46 PM.
Old 11-13-10, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for posting this here. I rarely go into the Store Forum and even then sometimes new important news is buried in a years old generic thread about the store, which makes it hard to find, much less keep track of consistently.

I think there should be a limit to the number of pages for each thread and once that limit is reached a fresh new updated thread should pick up where the last one left off as is done with the Big Lots and other threads, though less arbitrarily. But I digress....
Old 11-13-10, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am guessing Secondspin is just using them to process orders/trade-ins as it used to be done in Los Angeles.
Old 11-13-10, 04:52 PM
Zbu

This isn't shocking. DeepDiscount has been on a decline for years. I have an order from October that I can't even cancel because the website won't let me, and a pre-order that will probably never be fulfilled.

Such a shame. The store used to be dynamite. I remembered years gone by where I could order a boxful of stuff from them for a good deal. Now? A shell. A shell of what they used to be.
Old 11-13-10, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DeepDiscount got progressively worse and worse as the years progressed and ever since they shut down the retail outlet in Naperville, they have been in the doldrums and their CS is one of the worst (AOL ranks at the top) to deal with, especially when it came to price matches and things. What happens to this company now is anybody's guess. Just hoping they make a cpomplete overhaul of their website and inventory and actually offer decent prices on everything.
Old 11-13-10, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by yellowlt4
Hey, that would be great if I could finally get the Gangsters Collection and American Werewolf in London that I ordered months ago!
Old 11-13-10, 05:12 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by IamLegend
Super D, founded as an independent music store CD Listening Bar in 1990, has more than 340,000 titles of CDs, vinyl, DVDs and video games in stock from 32 countries. The company distributes to 1,500 independent music retailers, chain stores and e-commerce web sites and direct to consumers.
Here's their website: http://www.sdcd.com/

I can't find where they sell directly to consumers though.

Do they own another website that we may already be buying from?
Old 11-13-10, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

This kinda reminds me of Super Collector which I hope does not share the same fate.

At one point in the late 1990s they were one of the best sellers of Sci-Fi/Fantasy products (CDs, books, toys, videos and everything in between). They used to have a store in Garden Grove, CA, it had a very nondescript front. In fact when I first looked for it, I passed it. It was so ordinary. Man, I have such great memories of that place. The store interior looked like a living room; as if you walked into someone's home (complete with fireplace). Every corner was something to see. It was a fanboy's delight and their inventory was reasonably priced. I spent hours there and bought many CDs (I'm into soundtracks).

Then they moved into a much bigger location in Anaheim, CA - their downfall begain. The new place looked like a warehouse, gone were all the charms. I bought my Gojira special edition laser discs from here. On the bright side, it looked like they had more inventory, the place was packed. I remember they had yearly sales which happen to coincide with my birthday, that rocked.

I would say around 2001, they couldn't pay their rent, so they moved out into a much smaller building, less than a block away from their old place. It had fewer products and their mail order business suffered. Once again they moved.

From what I read, the store relocated to Placentia, CA; mail order only - exclusively internet. You could visit them, but by appointment only. I never dropped in that place. Not long after that they were not fulfilling orders. The Better Business Bureau came on them and Super Collector ended with a wimper.
Old 11-13-10, 07:33 PM
g

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by rich-y
Here's their website: http://www.sdcd.com/

I can't find where they sell directly to consumers though.

Do they own another website that we may already be buying from?
They sell tons and tons on amazon with thousands of transactions. They are one those aggresive operators on amazon known as ImportCDs who viciously reprice to a penny less than their competitors. If you sell on amazon, you come to hate them. Deepdiscount and Dvdplanet were much more polite competitors on amazon. They will probably take over the DD name on there and do the same.
Old 11-13-10, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

SuperD also sells most of the import items to local record stores (like Dimple in the Sacramento area.) They also provided most of the imports to Tower.com when it was still owned by the real Tower company, as well as many of their stores. When the Tower stores closed and Tower.com was up for sale, SuperD came close to buying it (if they had, I might still be working for them now), but instead it went to Caiman who let it crash and burn. (Don't even know who's running it now.)

Hopefully this means you'll be able to get a lot of hard-to-find stuff at DeepDiscount, but I hope they realize that if DeepDiscount doesn't live up to its name, people will buy elsewhere!
Old 11-16-10, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by IamLegend
Super D has annual revenues of about $150 million and 200 employees. Infinity grosses about $80 million and has 280 employees including 90 in a call center, said Super D President Jeff Walker.
Half the gross revenues and 40% more employees. No wonder they couldn't compete.
Old 11-16-10, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by g
They sell tons and tons on amazon with thousands of transactions. They are one those aggresive operators on amazon known as ImportCDs who viciously reprice to a penny less than their competitors. If you sell on amazon, you come to hate them. Deepdiscount and Dvdplanet were much more polite competitors on amazon. They will probably take over the DD name on there and do the same.
That's somewhat good news as I've done many orders of import CDs from them via amazon and have never had a problem. For the other sellers I'm not crazy about their tactics, but as a consumer it's good.

Of course at this point I'll just be happy to get the back orders still hanging out there at DD... I've also noticed that *lots* of DVD product now shows "Ships directly from manufacturer" instead of OOS status. What's crappy is that one of the BO titles I have "on order" has shown that status on the site for over a week and my order status page still shows BO. Bummer...
Old 11-16-10, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
That's somewhat good news as I've done many orders of import CDs from them via amazon and have never had a problem.
I did. After several purchases with no problems, I didn't get a CD that I ordered and paid for. They wouldn't do a thing for me other than tell me to use Amazon's A-to-z Guarantee Protection plan.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.