Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Winnie the Pooh - 2011

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Winnie the Pooh - 2011

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-10, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Winnie the Pooh - 2011

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QbFz--GCkOM" frameborder="0"></iframe>

I didn't see a thread for this, yet. Forgive me if I missed it.

When I watched the trailer, my first thought was it was going to be a re-release. Then I thought that maybe it was a joke. Then I thought, "Oh god, they're going to ruin it!" But no, it's hand-drawn, based on the original books, and uses real (as in not celebrity stunt casting) voice actors. Did anyone catch Craig Ferguson as Owl? That guy is really making a niche for himself in the voice acting world.
Old 11-11-10, 05:08 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Winnie the Pooh - 2011

I love how you say there isn't celebrity stunt casting immediately followed up with a mention of Craig Ferguson as Owl.
Old 11-11-10, 05:08 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

awwww - I love eeyore... nice use of Keane's song 'Somewhere Only We Know' (hooray - 2D cel animation from Disney studios)
Old 11-11-10, 05:10 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Other non-celebrities include Wayne Knight and Gilbert Gottfried.
Old 11-11-10, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, the animation is gorgeous.
Old 11-11-10, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good, hoprfully its not in 3D
Old 11-11-10, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Fuck. Yeah.
Old 11-11-10, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu Man
Fuck. Yeah.
Old 11-11-10, 07:10 PM

I just watched this earlier. I was more excited than my 7 year old. Is that ok?
Old 11-11-10, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

This just made my week. I am super excited right now.
Old 11-11-10, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I saw this earlier and was blown away.

The Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh is probably my favourite childhood movie, so I was skeptical about a new Pooh movie. Seeing the trailer really impressed me though. I'm so glad Disney is going the 2D cel animation route and isn't trying to update this for a modern audience or anything. The animation is spectacular and I'm so glad they got some real voice actors.

Jim Cummings' Pooh sounds just like Sterling Holloway's Pooh, which is great, as I can't imagine Pooh having a different sounding voice.

Count me in!
Old 11-11-10, 10:18 PM

I was excited when I heard all about this film. No 3D, hand drawn, from the original books, goes right along with "The Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh", ect,. I didn't even know there was already a trailer for it. After just watching that trailer ... now I am skeptical. It didn't feel like the old Pooh at all. Just a little off and worrying me that they will ruin it. I'll just have to wait and see. But that trailer worries me.
Old 11-12-10, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow, at first I pictured something with the characters as CGI against live-action, with them going out into the "real world," probably New York or Los Angeles.
Old 11-12-10, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Keith6601
I just watched this earlier. I was more excited than my 7 year old. Is that ok?
yup, I'm 26 and I grew up with Winnie the Pooh and theres something still heartwarming about seeing and hearing those characters. They make you feel happy and at home. Animation looks wonderful too. Love that they are sticking to the 2d animation. When I seen This post I was worried they were gonna do some live action cg thing.
Old 11-12-10, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Looks good. Disney RULES!
Old 11-12-10, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I love how you say there isn't celebrity stunt casting immediately followed up with a mention of Craig Ferguson as Owl.
I know. Lol. But I figure he's not really a celebrity. (According to him, anyway!) I didn't realize it was him until I looked up the cast.
Old 11-12-10, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Christopher Robin: Since Christopher Robin creates all of these characters in his mind, these characters represent feelings he is experiencing in his internal world. As a child, he is learning how to socially function and interact with the external world. Each character could represent a different reaction or feeling within himself as he learns to cope and deal with that extra world. The essay by Alan Bennett, from a website above, writes, "These different feeling states, the positions of the developing ego/self come to represent the characters, or, I should say that the 'Winnie-the-Pooh' characters come to represent the positions of the self in Christopher Robin." I almost think he might be schizophrenic if he actually takes on these personas. Either that or they represent parts of himself.

Winnie the Pooh: The Canadian Medical Association's article identified him with these disorders based on the following behaviors:

-ADHD: the inattentive subtype.
-Impulsivity and obsessive fixations on honey. (also obesity)
-OCD: Repetitive counting. OCD mixed with ADHD could eventually contribute to tourettes syndrome later on in life.

Piglet: Generalized Anxiety Disorder. He also has a speech imediment with his stuttering problem. Pooh and Piglet also have significant self-esteem injury.

Owl: Dyslexic, but extremely bright.

Tigger: ADHD. He cannot control his hyperactivity. He even will try anything that comes along his path which concerns psychologist with substance abuse problems. He is impulsive, a bad role model, a social magnet but those drawn into him will get themselves into trouble.

Kanga: The overprotective mother, obsessed with controlling her young.

Rabbit: OCD--he over-organzies and is obsessive with order. To me, for a male character, he is very feminine. Not that this is a disorder, it is just interesting to look at when analyzing his character.

Eeore: Depression, the most obvious. He needs some medication to brighten up his day.

All of these characters are male, with the exception of Kanga. I wonder why that is...
Old 11-12-10, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
Wow, at first I pictured something with the characters as CGI against live-action, with them going out into the "real world," probably New York or Los Angeles.
And Winnie & Piglet getting bling or dressing in hip hop gear, with liberal amounts of poo-poo and pee-pee jokes.

The thought of that shrivels my nads.
Old 11-12-10, 09:19 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
Christopher Robin: Since Christopher Robin creates all of these characters in his mind, these characters represent feelings he is experiencing in his internal world. As a child, he is learning how to socially function and interact with the external world. Each character could represent a different reaction or feeling within himself as he learns to cope and deal with that extra world. The essay by Alan Bennett, from a website above, writes, "These different feeling states, the positions of the developing ego/self come to represent the characters, or, I should say that the 'Winnie-the-Pooh' characters come to represent the positions of the self in Christopher Robin." I almost think he might be schizophrenic if he actually takes on these personas. Either that or they represent parts of himself.

Winnie the Pooh: The Canadian Medical Association's article identified him with these disorders based on the following behaviors:

-ADHD: the inattentive subtype.
-Impulsivity and obsessive fixations on honey. (also obesity)
-OCD: Repetitive counting. OCD mixed with ADHD could eventually contribute to tourettes syndrome later on in life.

Piglet: Generalized Anxiety Disorder. He also has a speech imediment with his stuttering problem. Pooh and Piglet also have significant self-esteem injury.

Owl: Dyslexic, but extremely bright.

Tigger: ADHD. He cannot control his hyperactivity. He even will try anything that comes along his path which concerns psychologist with substance abuse problems. He is impulsive, a bad role model, a social magnet but those drawn into him will get themselves into trouble.

Kanga: The overprotective mother, obsessed with controlling her young.

Rabbit: OCD--he over-organzies and is obsessive with order. To me, for a male character, he is very feminine. Not that this is a disorder, it is just interesting to look at when analyzing his character.

Eeore: Depression, the most obvious. He needs some medication to brighten up his day.

All of these characters are male, with the exception of Kanga. I wonder why that is...
well that put me into a bad funk.
Old 11-12-10, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
well that put me into a bad funk.
It took mhg83 only 311 words to utterly rape my childhood.
Old 11-12-10, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This looks awesome! I even teared up watching the trailer.... I'm not even a fan of the old Winnie the Pooh cartoons, but this looks very charming for a change (Disney should follow more in the footsteps of Miyazaki/Ghibli) instead of the usual CGI-animated films with spazzing, wide-eyed characters acting out like histrionic nutcases screaming out their dialogue.
Old 11-12-10, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Definitely looks sweet and cute.
Old 11-12-10, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
It took mhg83 only 311 words to utterly rape my childhood.
And a stripping thread to scar my adulthood.
Old 11-12-10, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666
This looks awesome! I even teared up watching the trailer....

I didn't cry but I love the feel of the movie. Looks cute and kids and adults are going to love this.
Old 11-12-10, 05:19 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Sorry, I'm not a Pooh fan here. Of all the Disney feature animation somehow he never seemed to fit in with the others. Most of the great Disney films have an "all ages" entertainment appeal, adults as well as children can enjoy Snow White or The Jungle Book. Pooh seems to only appeal to small children.

Is this the fourth Pooh movie in 10 years? Disney is Pooh crazy.

Isn't Disney in a rush to exploit the Pooh franchise as much as possible because their license to the characters is hanging by thread and the author's family have sued them repeatedly? Can someone fill me in on the whole story?

Also, has anyone seen the CG animated Pooh on the Disney channel? It is truely a crime.

Last edited by Mabuse; 11-12-10 at 05:30 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.