Old 11-11-10, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
The Office -- "Viewing Party" -- 11/11/10

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2010-09-11

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Erin (Ellie Kemper) and Gabe (Zach Woods) invite the office over for a "Glee" viewing party. Michael (Golden Globe winner Steve Carell) deals poorly with hearing people call Gabe his boss. Meanwhile, Andy (Ed Helms) grows more and more jealous of Gabe's relationship with Erin.

A Glee viewing Party really? I'm a fan of Glee, but this is weird.
Old 11-11-10, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Office -- "Viewing Party" -- 11/11/10

Erin's cluelessness has gone from being cute to tiresome.
The same with Michaels juvenile need for attention.
Pizza in the fan was funny though.

I had my doubts about whether or not the show could succeed without Michael, but this ep convinced me otherwise. Everything with Michael made me shrug, but the moments with the rest of the cast showed me that if they can find a decent enough replacement for Michael the show will be fine.
Just really getting tired of Michaels immaturity.

Last edited by skiman; 11-11-10 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-11-10, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ive always wanted to eat a pig in a blanket...in a blanket
Old 11-11-10, 08:37 PM

I thought it was a excellent episode. Reminded me of Season 2. Pam and Erin looked amazing tonight as well.
Old 11-11-10, 10:20 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

"....and I would blow your mind."
Old 11-11-10, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yikes, another misfire. The only part I found remotely funny was when Michael was tossing the dough.
Old 11-12-10, 02:04 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

"He probably wishes he had a hybrid right now"

"No, he probably wishes he was strangling someone right now"
Old 11-12-10, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I fully expected this episode -- out of the office -- to be as bad as the last, but I found it hilarious!

I think a key is that when they're out of the office, at least have it somewhere that it gives you insight into a character. This episode revealed a lot about Gabe and was on par with the hilarious episode or two from a few seasons ago with Michael and Jan in Michael's house.
Old 11-12-10, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by maingon
I thought it was a excellent episode. Reminded me of Season 2. Pam and Erin looked amazing tonight as well.
This entire season has reminded me of S2. I think they've all been awesome thus far.

The stuff with Dwight and Jim was fantastic. "You married my mortal enemy."
Old 11-12-10, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 981 Likes on 692 Posts

It's amazing to me the broad range of reactions to each episode of this show. It seems like some people always love it and some people always hate it. And I don't think it's a case where the same people always hate it and the same people always love it.

As far as this episode goes, I really liked it. There were a couple of things that bothered me though. Michael turning off the cable was going a bit too far for my taste and that plot point was never really paid off for anyone other Erin and Michael. Did everyone else find out it was him? Was everyone just glad the cable came back and that was it? I did really like the resolution with Michael and Erin though. I thought the revelation that Erin looks up to Michael as a father was a really sweet moment and the kind of genuine emotion that this show has been good at over the years. I've always liked the chemistry that those two have.

The other bit that bothered me was Jim's continuing descent into a-hole teritority. I get that he didn't care about Glee and we've all been in that situation before, but if you were at a party to watch some specific show and someone changed the channel and you missed part of it, you would be pissed. We've been trained for 7 years to believe that Jim is the rational, smart one and his co-workers are crazy, but he was clearly in the wrong here. I LOVED Dwight getting the upperhand on him with the baby. I was laughing pretty hard when Dwight made him feed him.
Old 11-12-10, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought this episode was actually pretty good. The season as a whole has been a real return to form for The Office. This episode reminded me of the party Jim threw way back when. While there was some stuff I thought didn't work (mainly the Glee stuff), I thought most everything else was really good.

I liked that they sort of resolved the Scranton Strangler storyline after all these years.

Originally Posted by MrX

Yeah, that was my favourite line of the night.

Originally Posted by superfro
The stuff with Dwight and Jim was fantastic. "You married my mortal enemy."
It's always nice to see Dwight get the upper-hand every once in a while. I liked how he said he would prefer if Jim thought of it as degrading. Dwight calling Jim his mortal enemy and Jim saying they had a nice back-and-forth was good too.

I did like how Michael recognized that Erin looked up to him and felt bad about being a jerk there at the end. And he had a nice final line with "If you break that girl's heart I will kill you. That's just a figure of speech. But seriously, if you break that girl's heart I will literally kill you...and your entire family."
Old 11-12-10, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
This cracked me up!
Old 11-12-10, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Erin is so fucking irksome. Best part for me was Kevin hopping into Gabe's bed and eating.
Old 11-12-10, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Drav3n
Ive always wanted to eat a pig in a blanket...in a blanket
I'll have to try that myself, in a snuggie!

Great episode, but I was really shocked that an NBC show would cross-promote a Fox show.

I'm sure the producers of whatever NBC shows on Tuesdays at 8 are really upset about this. (I don't know what NBC has on in that time slot and I'm too lazy to look it up)
Old 11-12-10, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Loved it, except for the appearance of Michael Douche. Good riddance when that character leaves.
Old 11-12-10, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX

Originally Posted by Groucho
Both those bits were very funny!

A much better episode than last week.
Old 11-12-10, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

As quoted above there were a couple of great lines in the this episode, an improvement over last week, and more in line with the quality of this season as a whole.
Old 11-12-10, 04:07 PM

I've never cared much for the socially awkward humor that the Office will occasionally try to force down viewers' throats. It's like there's one staff writer who can't do anything but put Michael and Andy into the most painful, cringe-inducing situations possible. This episode had its fair share of those, but at least there was some great Dwight-Jim-Pam dialogue to ease things.

All in all, though, I much prefer oblivious Michael to insecure Michael.
Old 11-12-10, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Anyone else notice they seem to be referencing past seasons more often this year?
Old 11-12-10, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Episode was just okay. As is usually the case when I actually get to watch the show as it airs, I was a bit underwhelmed.
Old 11-12-10, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thought it was a great episode (much better than last week).

"I wonder if there's a guy in china right now looking at some of my stuff."

Old 11-12-10, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

As usual the best one liners were from Creed. First him reading the bottle to Andy and not telling him what it means and then him recapping Glee at the end after reading about it on Twitter.

Other then that I liked the Dwight/Jim stuff. But I'm getting even more tired of Jim and Pam, they just aren't as charming and funny as they used to be.

Don't like Gabe at all and the Andy stuff kind of fell flat, although I did like him puking in the bed and covering it with the pillow.

Hated the Michael and Erin stuff. I just don't enjoy when Michael goes out of his way to be a douche it's not funny anymore. Then the end with Erin seeing Michael as a father figure was just weird. I'm surprised anyone liked it. It just seemed creepy to me.
Old 11-12-10, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The awkward humor is true to the British version of the show, so I don't ever outright dislike it, even if it's not always my favorite stuff.

Gabe looks similar to my brother and even has similar mannerisms and a way of speaking, albeit in a much more extreme sense.

I, like others, am tired of Jim and Pam. I'm glad they've at least taken a back seat in many episodes to other characters. Be thankful it hasn't been the opposite with the writers forcing the couple to the forefront of each episode.
Old 11-13-10, 12:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Goat3001
Then the end with Erin seeing Michael as a father figure was just weird. I'm surprised anyone liked it. It just seemed creepy to me.
I thought for half a second that Erin was going to come out and say that Michael was her father (remember she grew up in a foster home). If that had happened I would have shut off the tv and never watched the show again. That would be a true jumping the shark moment.
Old 11-13-10, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by dan30oly
I thought for half a second that Erin was going to come out and say that Michael was her father (remember she grew up in a foster home). If that had happened I would have shut off the tv and never watched the show again. That would be a true jumping the shark moment.
I was really expecting them to go that route but am glad they didnt... it would explain her lack of intelligence though

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.