Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : If you only had to pick one...MW1, MW2, Black Ops?

OldBoy
11-10-10, 08:36 AM
if you had all 3 and played all 3, but could only keep one, which one would you keep long-term and why?

ie: want to find out which is the best of the 3.

RichC2
11-10-10, 08:43 AM
despite all the cheating, I had the most fun with MW2, though I guess I haven't played enough Black Ops yet to really comment.

Rob V
11-10-10, 09:00 AM
MW2 brought me tons of gaming joy... but I'll go with Black Ops based on it's newness, reviews and feedback here.

lordwow
11-10-10, 09:05 AM
I think COD4 was the best of the series (so far), but I would say right now BO is the game to play given how massive the community is for online multiplayer.

mattysemo247
11-10-10, 09:21 AM
I still think COD4 is the best FPS in this console generation. The single player was fantastic and the multiplayer was icing on the cake.

chaz k
11-10-10, 09:26 AM
Just played black op's for about an hour online..didnt love it, didnt hate it. To me anyway its feels alot like a rehashed World at War.

Gooter
11-10-10, 09:43 AM
Disclaimer: I haven't played Black Ops yet and I don't care for MP in any of the CoD games.

CoD4's SP was probably the best campaign/experience I've ever had in a game so far. MW2 was good too but it was hard to follow the story and was a little hokey at times.

Raul3
11-10-10, 10:43 AM
Scott won't play MP, so this should just be based in Campaign.

I voted MW1.

Groucho
11-10-10, 10:49 AM
My vote is Other: Call of Duty 2. Still the best in the series.

I haven't played Black Ops, but of the other two explicitly named games I recommend Modern Warfare over Modern Warfare 2.

cruzness
11-10-10, 11:18 AM
CoD4 is the best in the series. But I would tell most people to buy Black Ops. MP is now very brutal in CoD4 as most of the guys still playing it are pretty hardcore. Black Ops will have a much more level playing field in MP.

slop101
11-10-10, 11:19 AM
Yeah, CoD4 (IOW, MW1) easily has the best campaign, gameplay-wise, with CoD2 a close 2nd.

CoD4's campaign is one of the 2 FPS that I've played through more than twice and wouldn't mind playing through again (the other being Half-Life 2).

cruzness
11-10-10, 11:25 AM
My answer is still the same considering only the campaign. CoD4 = one of the GOAT

OldBoy
11-10-10, 11:56 AM
Scott won't play MP, so this should just be based in Campaign.

I voted MW1.

it's not that i won't, i always try it on games that have it. it's just when you get your ass handed to you for the umpteenth time by a 2-year old, it kinda gets frustrating.

but yes, to clarify, i was referring to the single player campaigns.

Anubis2005X
11-10-10, 12:18 PM
My vote is Other: Call of Duty 2. Still the best in the series.

I haven't played Black Ops, but of the other two explicitly named games I recommend Modern Warfare over Modern Warfare 2.

Absolutely, Call of Duty 2 is still my favorite. Just fantastic...

Matthew Chmiel
11-10-10, 12:20 PM
Another :thumbsup: for Call of Duty 2.

In terms of the "current" series: Modern Warfare -> Modern Warfare 2 -> Black Ops.

For those of us who got the PC version, Black Ops is almost unplayable at the moment, so I can't say much until Treyarch releases a fix.

Mike86
11-11-10, 01:20 AM
I personally liked Modern Warfare the best of the series thus far. Just had a really good story and is fun to replay. Call of Duty 2 is very good as well. Hated Modern Warfare 2 and thus far (haven't finished yet) Black Ops is a lot better.

glassdragon
11-11-10, 01:24 AM
Where the hell is the twikoff option? Even twikoff would be a better alternative than these games :P

Fandango
11-11-10, 04:09 AM
Alot of the reviews say Black Ops has the best campaign of the series.

TimeandTide
11-11-10, 10:07 AM
I still think COD4 is the best FPS in this console generation. The single player was fantastic and the multiplayer was icing on the cake.

This.

COD4 is may favorite game of all-time. Playing through MW2 right now and enjoying it (haven't tried MP yet), but it doesn't feel nearly as fresh (although there are a ton of cool surprises along the way).

Haven't tried Black Ops yet, but consensus seems to be that MW2 is the better of the two so in no rush to play it.

Anubis2005X
11-11-10, 10:09 AM
This.

COD4 is may favorite game of all-time. Playing through MW2 right now and enjoying it (haven't tried MP yet), but it doesn't feel nearly as fresh (although there are a ton of cool surprises along the way).

Haven't tried Black Ops yet, but consensus seems to be that MW2 is the better of the two so in no rush to play it.

Ehhhh, I don't know about that. I think you'll find a lot of people disappointed with MW2 who are enjoying Black Ops more...

RichC2
11-11-10, 10:28 AM
Alot of the reviews say Black Ops has the best campaign of the series.

It's actually kind of funny, this is very much Treyarch's attempt at making a Modern Warfare game in a different setting. Much more scripted than the previous odd-numbered entries. It doesn't quite have the badass factor that MW/MW2 had, but it's certainly very good in its own right.

Rob V
11-11-10, 10:53 AM
Oh... SP only? MW1 then.

OldBoy
11-11-10, 11:44 AM
i put in MW1 again.

could someone tell me, is it equally hard for you to see where enemies are and when you shoot them from a distance (non-Sniper weapon) is it hard to determine whether YOU killed them or not?

the action is so frenetic, that while i think i am enjoying it, it is hard to distinguish what exactly i am doing and going on all the time.

slop101
11-11-10, 12:12 PM
i put in MW1 again.

could someone tell me, is it equally hard for you to see where enemies are and when you shoot them from a distance (non-Sniper weapon) is it hard to determine whether YOU killed them or not?

the action is so frenetic, that while i think i am enjoying it, it is hard to distinguish what exactly i am doing and going on all the time.What size TV are you playing on?

TheNightFlier
11-11-10, 12:26 PM
MW for me.

OldBoy
11-11-10, 02:28 PM
What size TV are you playing on?

it's in den and only 32".

thelwig14
11-11-10, 02:39 PM
I am a COD fanboy and it has ruined all other FPS's for me. I love them all...even COD 3 and COD FH.

Of course I have issues with all of them..and so far with BO it is the lag (which is expected up on release and will be fixed) and the awful spawning (unacceptable).

slop101
11-11-10, 03:11 PM
it's in den and only 32".
Yeah, they'll look small - especially if you're sitting more than 7' away from the screen.

I'm about 8' away from my 50" plasma, and it can sometime be hard to see some enemies that aren't too close - and even more difficult if there's debris all around the environments, which there usually is.

OldBoy
11-11-10, 03:54 PM
Yeah, they'll look small - especially if you're sitting more than 7' away from the screen.

I'm about 8' away from my 50" plasma, and it can sometime be hard to see some enemies that aren't too close - and even more difficult if there's debris all around the environments, which there usually is.

ok. thanks. i feel better that it isn't just me. so realistic and does look gorgeous though.

slop101
11-11-10, 04:08 PM
If you quick-pull the left trigger, you should immediately focus in on a threat you may not have seen otherwise.

OldBoy
11-11-10, 05:15 PM
If you quick-pull the left trigger, you should immediately focus in on a threat you may not have seen otherwise.

i'll try that, thanks. also, found out about the mini-map on the objectives screen that shows enemies. that should help.

man, MW1 is a breath-taking game. i actually got emotional when Private Jackson was K.I.A. after the nuke went off.sheer awesomeness.

anyone know about how far in the game i am from the above spoiler?

Jam Master Jay
11-12-10, 12:28 AM
About half way, maybe a little bit more. There's a good chunk left still.

I voted for Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. I love all the other ones, but that one blew me away when it came out. Has a great storyline, awesome multiplayer at the time. The complete package. I still pop in to play "The Bog" and the "Death from Above" missions from time to time.

OldBoy
11-12-10, 06:56 AM
^ thanks. DfA is awesome. i like Shock and Awe too.

Matt
11-13-10, 12:56 AM
IGN picks the best COD campaign. (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/113/1134087p1.html)

(Spoiler alert: It's COD4.)

OldBoy
11-13-10, 10:56 AM
^ nice article, thanks MWB.

been doing the 'All Ghillied Up' and 'One Shot, One Kill' missions. freaking incredible. the prone position POV was utterly amazing and seemed so authentic. snipers have always been my favorite weapons and to have a mission dedicated to just that...tremendous. i can't believe i put this game away once.

slop101
11-13-10, 12:01 PM
^ nice article, thanks MWB.

been doing the 'All Ghillied Up' and 'One Shot, One Kill' missions. freaking incredible. the prone position POV was utterly amazing and seemed so authentic. snipers have always been my favorite weapons and to have a mission dedicated to just that...tremendous. i can't believe i put this game away once.I was the one telling to to play that after you were done with Halo and before MW2 last year. See what happens when you don't listen to me?

OldBoy
11-13-10, 01:36 PM
I was the one telling to to play that after you were done with Halo and before MW2 last year. See what happens when you don't listen to me?

man...my ignorance just prevades. never again will i underestimate the power of slop!

FantasticVSDoom
11-13-10, 10:33 PM
Yeah, another vote for MW, but Black Ops has already surpassed MW2 for me, and Im probably not even half way done yet...

slop101
11-13-10, 11:21 PM
While Black Ops has a pretty solid campaign, it's a bit too ADHD (https://health.google.com/health/ref/Attention+deficit+hyperactivity+disorder+%28ADHD%29) for me. I can't take more than 15 minutes of it at a time. I kinda feel the same about the multi-player too.

redbill
11-15-10, 08:09 AM
Does WaW, MW2, BO (or medal of honor) have any split-screen co-op modes on ps3 (available w/o unlocking anything)? Brother-in-law may be coming over this weekend and he likes these games. I suppose even split-screen online would be ok.

cruzness
11-15-10, 08:56 AM
Black Ops has:
1)split screen online multiplayer - 2nd player is a guest on PS3
2) split screen combat training online or offline
3) split screen offline multiplayer
4) split screen offline zombies (as does WaW)

MW1, WaW and MW2 have offline Multiplayer splitscreen. MW2 also has split screen spec ops missions

Lastblade
11-15-10, 10:11 AM
Single Player: Probably MW2, since it is less cheap (on VET) than either 1 or BO. Although I am really enjoying BO's vehicular stages

MP: BO, seems to be more methodical than the previous entries.

Rival11
11-17-10, 09:00 PM
Best single player campaign? Too easy: Black Ops.

OldBoy
11-19-10, 03:28 PM
just finished MW1. all i have to say is... wow :jawdrop:!

OldBoy
12-25-10, 02:44 PM
is Black Ops, much more franitc and action all the time as opposed to 1 & 2 which had some breaks and not 50+ guys to kill at a time? i thought MW 1 was leagues better than 2...more variety in missions, better story and some more breaks in action. though i liked 2 quite a bit as well.

and the zombie mode unlocks after completing single player campaign and it can be played single, correct?

slop101
12-25-10, 04:50 PM
is Black Ops, much more franitc and action all the time as opposed to 1 & 2 which had some breaks and not 50+ guys to kill at a time? i thought MW 1 was leagues better than 2...more variety in missions, better story and some more breaks in action. though i liked 2 quite a bit as well.

and the zombie mode unlocks after completing single player campaign and it can be played single, correct?Black Ops is like Michael Bay on crack and makes MW 1&2 look like "My Dinner With Andre".

It is pretty diverse, and by far the least repetitive, least drawn-out and least tedious of all CoDs.

Easy
12-25-10, 05:01 PM
is Black Ops,

and the zombie mode unlocks after completing single player campaign and it can be played single, correct?

Interesting that nobody answered this... so I guess the answer is no.

This might have pushed me to buy but I guess I'll pass as online multiplayer holds no interest for me.

TheBigDave
12-25-10, 05:16 PM
Black Ops is ..... least drawn-out and least tedious of all CoDs.

I felt the opposite. I though Black Ops was filled with cut scenes and unplayable moments where you're just waiting to get to the action.

In past CODs, I've gone back and played individual levels over and over again. I've run through BO twice, but I don't have the urge to go back and keep replaying each level. You're stuck sitting there for 3-4 minutes waiting for the unskippable scripted scenes to play out.

TheBigDave
12-25-10, 05:18 PM

This might have pushed me to buy but I guess I'll pass as online multiplayer holds no interest for me.

You can play zombies on your own.

djones6746
12-25-10, 05:19 PM
Modern Warfare 1 by a long shot!!!! :cool:

djones6746
12-25-10, 05:20 PM
just finished MW1. all i have to say is... wow :jawdrop:!

The best by far...

fumanstan
12-25-10, 05:22 PM

Dude, the question was only posted 2 hours ago.