Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Joy Division "+-" Boxset coming soon

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-10, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not sure I like the title, but this should be sweet.

Rhino Records UK / Warner Music are proud to announce the release of '+ -" (plus minus) - a unique JOY DIVISION retrospective box set consisting of 10 7" singles on vinyl presented in a beautiful clamshell box. All tracks have been newly re-mastered from original tapes by Stephen Morris and Frank Arkwright (Metropolis Studios) with creative direction for '+ -" box set artwork coming from Peter Saville.

Compiled by renowned journalist and author Jon Savage, the boxset is released in celebration of Ian Curtis - in the year that is the 30th anniversary of his death. +- includes 7"'s which have previously been issued and some which have been created specifically for this release. Although they released two albums in two years - "Unknown Pleasures" (1979) and "Closer" (1980), JOY DIVISION recorded many other tracks throughout their career that were released on stand-alone singles - most notably 'Transmission" and 'Love Will Tear Us Apart". +- brings these singles, and more, together in one place. Anyone purchasing the physical box will have the opportunity to download (for free) all the tracks in hi quality mp3 format.

As a co-founder of the legendary independent label FACTORY RECORDS Peter Saville leant his eyes to the project providing stunning outer packaging and suggesting the concept for the sleeves. Each cover is based upon its original and - as a snapshot of a band and a time - serves to remind the owner of the unique position Joy Division hold in British musical history.

+- boxes are individually numbered 1-5000. Numbers 1-500 will be available as a super deluxe version and will contain a limited edition Peter Saville art piece as well as two exclusive promotional CD’s “+” and “-“.

http://www.rhino.co.uk/store/product...luxe_39547.htm

Not sure I quite understand all of its contents, but I will be ordering me one of these.
Old 11-01-10, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Joy Division "+-" Boxset coming soon

I don't get it. This is a band that released only two albums and a small number of essential singles. The live material that's shown up is middling at best and most of the early tracks (Warsaw era and the like) worth hearing have already been released at least four times in various packages. Also, they already have an comprehensive boxset in "Heart and Soul" that, if anything, has too much stuff that should have remained in the vault. At this point they're pulling a 3-D Star Wars with Joy Division.
Old 11-01-10, 06:05 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I think I'm happy with the "Heart and Soul" boxset. The first 2 discs of that set (and a few scattered tracks on the other 2 discs) are pretty much all the Joy Division that most people will ever need.
Old 11-01-10, 08:14 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, Heart and Soul is enough Joy Division for me. I've always preferred New Order anyway.
Old 11-01-10, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i'm just happy to get some of this on vinyl, as the Ideal for Living EP and the Factory Sample 7" go for hundreds of dollars.

Joy Division is really special to me. Even with their limited catalog, they remain one of my favorite bands. I hope the releases have been remastered properly this time. My original (UK Vinyl) pressings of Closer and Unknown Pleasures blow the Heart & Soul and 2007 reissues out of the water. I

that said. Their catalog should get one last remaster (top of the line, ala The Beatles), on CD and Vinyl. Clean out the rest of the vaults (there are just a few more things floating around), and call it a day.

oh, and Joy Division > New Order. Duh!
Old 11-01-10, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just read this....

"Morris and Frank Arkwright did the "re"mastering. Arkwright did the Sound Of The Smiths mastering, and, well, I'll just bite my tongue."

damn.

A blog recently remastered all Joy Division's singles. and the results were steller. They are far and away the best sounding I have heard the songs, and i've heard just about every pressing. Several of the songs have been out of pitch and never corrected. It even says so on the deluxe version of Still in the liner notes. This avid fan corrected this and it's day and night difference.

Dead Souls in the correct pitch remastered is like listening to a different song. I had always felt that the studio version felt too "fast", and now i know i was right. These Days, Ice Age (Ian no longer sounds like a chipmunk), She's Lost Control, Colony, and all the Ideal for Living tracks (which were sourced from vinyl on Heart & Soul. Why the studio can't see fit to release the corrected versions is beyond me, but they are worth seeking out. Particularly for Dead Souls, Ice Age, and Colony.
Old 11-01-10, 11:01 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15
oh, and Joy Division > New Order. Duh!
I don't know about that one...

I'll say this, nothing Joy Division recorded ever affected as much as Power, Corruption & Lies and the singles from that period. But I do like Joy Division.
Old 11-02-10, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

dont get me wrong, I love New Order.

Power, Corruption & Lies and Movement + singles are all great. Some of their later stuff is VERY cringe worthy though.
Old 11-02-10, 12:25 AM
Banned by request

I tend to stop listening after Technique.
Old 11-02-10, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Depending on how I'm feeling when this is released (and how much disposable income I have at that time) I might be getting this. Do I need it? Absolutely not.

I have the three re-mastered double discs, the Heart and Soul box, the vinyl represses of the three albums (including the Hessian bound Still) and an original "Love will Tear us Apart" 7”.

All that being said…I’m still on the fence about this new box.
Old 11-02-10, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I tend to stop listening after Technique.
I think some of their later songs are really great:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pq4nyQZ6yDc?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pq4nyQZ6yDc?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I highly recommend this DVD for anyone that doesn't have it---Live in Finsbury Park---one of my favorite concert DVDs ever. They do several JD classics as well as NO stuff.
Old 11-02-10, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Seems pretty cool, if not pointless. And that cost is silly...
Old 11-02-10, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I don't get it. This is a band that released only two albums and a small number of essential singles. The live material that's shown up is middling at best and most of the early tracks (Warsaw era and the like) worth hearing have already been released at least four times in various packages. Also, they already have an comprehensive boxset in "Heart and Soul" that, if anything, has too much stuff that should have remained in the vault. At this point they're pulling a 3-D Star Wars with Joy Division.
The singer's dead and the band is defunct.

Re-releasing material ad-nauseam to the hardcore fans is about the only revenue stream that the record companies can derive from the band.

Look for a mini statue of Ian Curtis hanging in his kitchen in the next couple of years.
Old 11-03-10, 12:54 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

While I agree that this is a pretty pointless release, of note is that it includes the Pennine Studios [original] recording of LWTUA which appeared on the flip side of the single and is inexcusably missing from Heart & Soul. The re-recorded version of the tune from the a-side is the one we commonly hear.

http://www.discogs.com/Joy-Division-.../release/29008
Old 11-04-10, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Yeah, Heart and Soul is enough Joy Division for me. I've always preferred New Order anyway.

Agreed. I know Rhino did a boxset for New Order a while back but they really blew it with their format. I want to see once with all of original 7"/12" single versions of songs (i.e. Temptation \ Bizarre Love Triangle \ etc)

While "Love Will Tear Us Apart" is one of the best songs of all time (IMO), the Joy Division catalog does not compare to the amazing run New Order had in the early\mid 80s. And agree, a lot of their stuff is cringe worthy, they were still putting out great stuff late in their career (Regret, Turn, Krafty, etc).
Old 11-04-10, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by SubZeri
While I agree that this is a pretty pointless release, of note is that it includes the Pennine Studios [original] recording of LWTUA which appeared on the flip side of the single and is inexcusably missing from Heart & Soul. The re-recorded version of the tune from the a-side is the one we commonly hear.

http://www.discogs.com/Joy-Division-.../release/29008
The b-side version was included on the Permanent compilation.
Old 11-06-10, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by thebunk
Agreed. I know Rhino did a boxset for New Order a while back but they really blew it with their format. I want to see once with all of original 7"/12" single versions of songs (i.e. Temptation \ Bizarre Love Triangle \ etc)
Now we're talking, New Order is one band that could use a decent boxed set. "Movement" through "Technique", they basically never put out a single bad track, let alone a bad album. I'd put "Power Corruption and Lies", "Low Life" and the criminally underrated "Brotherhood" up against any other release from the 80s. In addition, the band has so many great singles, b-sides, alt mixes, John Peel cuts, live cuts etc that it's basically crying out for a single, definitive collection. The boxed set they've released, "Retro", is an infuriating, nonsensical disaster.

Here's a great, consistent band with a fairly massive fan base and a giant back catalog, a band who's influence I hear all over the radio these days and yet it's a pain in the ass to get all of their stuff. New Order has always had absolutely horrible business sense and made it a bit of a pain to be a fan, but I don't get it.
Old 11-11-10, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just read that the indie label, Teenbeat, is suing over the cover design to the +/- boxset.

http://pitchfork.com/news/40672-teen...ision-box-set/

Seems a bit disingenuous of Teenbeat, given that the label openly emulated Factory Records, numbering all of their releases (and even their offices, interns and other random non-musical releases) in the same manner as Factory, as well as using similar designs in a lot of their releases. The covers don't even look all that similar. How many ways can you design an orange cover with a + and a - anyway?

Boo on Teenbeat.
Old 11-11-10, 06:10 AM
Banned by request

Definitely boo on Teenbeat.

And yes, New Order is in serious need of comprehensive box set.
Old 12-01-10, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

there is so many great unreleased/OOP New Order tracks, it's disgusting. I thought the CE's that came out two years ago would set things straight but they fudged that up.

still, comprehensive remasterings of each band's catalog would be nice, particularly Joy Division where the Unknown Pleasures vinyl and CD sound completely different. In fact, i'm not fond of any Joy Division CD released when compared to the vinyl, including Heart & Soul (which is a pathetic release, with an almost unlistenable 4th disc).
Old 09-07-16, 02:31 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

There were a few Joy Divison threads so I picked this one.

This gave me a chuckle:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mvPIvoJkmGs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>