Old 10-31-10, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Dexter -- "Everything is Illumenated" -- 10/31/10

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2010-10-03

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Striving to bring some normalcy back into his shattered life, Dexter figures the answer lies in finding a new serial killer to bring down. His quest gets thrown off course, however, when his troubled new acquaintance requires his help. Meanwhile, Batista uncovers a revealing new lead in the Santa Muerta homicides, and Quinn gets a tip about Dexter but isn't sure he can trust his source.

Episode 6 of 12
Old 10-31-10, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts
Re: Dexter -- "Everything is Illumenated" -- 10/31/10

I started fast forwarding through the Batista/La Guerta scenes this week.
Old 11-01-10, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's pretty amazing how sloppy Dexter has become. Shining his flashlight, yakkin with lumen, taking phone calls... all while cops and two live victims are nearby. Its like he wants to get caught.
Old 11-01-10, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I like the Santa Muerta stuff as well as the Lumen story. Masuka is always fun when he is on screen as well.

Don't really care for anything else.

Spoiler:
Deb falling for another guy in another season. Angel/LaGuerta stuff is awful. As I mentioned in the previous episode thread, she was better off ruining marriages that weren't her own. Quinn, I still don't understand the use for other than being another Doakes.

It'll be interesting to see where all of this goes in the next 6 episodes.

Last edited by asianxcore; 11-01-10 at 04:39 AM.
Old 11-01-10, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yea, Dexter is getting WAY too sloppy.. I mean, leaving the body in his car and then pretty much completely forgetting about it!? All the while he knows the cops are coming!?

Still love the show but some of the stuff is out of the ordinary for the show..

Oh, and still can't stand Quinn.. Total tool.
Old 11-01-10, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

The core of this episode was fine, but the final 10 minutes were just painful -- painfully lame subplot after painfully lame subplot.
Old 11-01-10, 07:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tbird2340
Yea, Dexter is getting WAY too sloppy.. I mean, leaving the body in his car and then pretty much completely forgetting about it!? All the while he knows the cops are coming!?

Still love the show but some of the stuff is out of the ordinary for the show..

Oh, and still can't stand Quinn.. Total tool.
It was hilarious when the guy burst out of the car and Lumen was all "Who the hell is that?!" though.

And I think Dexter getting sloppy is one of, if not the main theme(s) of the season. He's been sloppy since episode one, because of the baby and Rita (and now Lumen).
Old 11-01-10, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I liked this week's episode, this show always seems to start out sort of weak with its first two or three episodes each season but manages to turn itself around. I think they are for sure intentionally trying to show that Dexter is starting to get more sloppy with all the added stress in his life. It was already happening to some extent last season with the birth of Harrison, but now with Rita dead, The Dark Passenger, Astor and Cody away from him, Harrison, Deb, Lumen, and everyone else he has to deal with its building up even more for him.

I'm wondering if this will somehow lead to his ultimate demise (either him getting caught or dying) by the end of the show or what exactly the plan is. Personally I don't really want the series to end with either of those outcomes.

I might be off base but does anyone think that Dexter and Lumen may either end up together or at least other characters on the show will think that they are together? I get the feeling that the Peter Weller character may spy on Dexter or some such thing and see the two of them together, which will add fuel to Quinn's fire about his suspicions of Dexter as that could be a possible motive (to the Quinn character) for Dexter to have killed Rita. Just a thought.

Last edited by Mike86; 11-01-10 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-01-10, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I might be off base but does anyone think that Dexter and Lumen may either end up together or at least other characters on the show will think that they are together? I get the feeling that the Peter Weller character may spy on Dexter or some such thing and see the two of them together, which will add fuel to Quinn's fire about his suspicions of Dexter as that could be a possible motive (to the Quinn character) for Dexter to have killed Rita. Just a thought.
I don't think they'll end up together but I do think Quinn will notice them together and it'll show motive. I'm hoping that they tie Deb in somehow to the main plot of Quinn searching out Dexter. Maybe Quinn piles up enough circumstantial evidence, Deb notices it and Quinn puts enough doubt in her mind and she begins to believe that maybe Dexter was responsible.

But really, with only a few episodes left, I really don't know where this season is going.
Old 11-01-10, 11:27 AM

I like the interaction between Dexter and Lumen - I hope she makes it through this season alive and they make her a recurring character. But that probably won't happen and we'll get more Laguerta/Angel instead.

at Masuka demonstrating what he thinks happened between the two guys.
Old 11-01-10, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dvdhook
at Masuka demonstrating what he thinks happened between the two guys.
The was awesome, all the gyrations he is doing once they switch to dexters inner monologue was just hilarious.
Old 11-01-10, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave99
The was awesome, all the gyrations he is doing once they switch to dexters inner monologue was just hilarious.
Probably the best thing about the episode. As you mentioned it was hilarious hearing the monologue and seeing Masuka + flashlight, with everyone looked weirded out.

As for Dexter getting sloppy, I agree Mike86, it's isn't new. It wasn't that long ago we had the Dexter/Trinity Killer debacle in the parking garage in Season 4.
Old 11-01-10, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

I blame most of Dexter's sloppiness on Lumen, but it was really a plot hole that he didn't kill his latest victim immediately before going to the warehouse.

Of course, then we wouldn't have had Dexter's brilliant cover-up of both murders and Masuka's hillarious re-enactment.

Just one thing though. I doubt that they would bother, but if they checked, they would find that there was no gunpowder residue on the mummy guy's hand, so he couldn't have killed Lumen's guy.
Old 11-01-10, 12:41 PM

Found these on another site - may not be suitable for work.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Old 11-01-10, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

I might be off base but does anyone think that Dexter and Lumen may either end up together or at least other characters on the show will think that they are together?
I say bring on the hot Dark Passengers sex scene!
Old 11-01-10, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Is it just me or is Dexter's internal narration getting to be less of his actual feelings, and more of glaringly obvious exposition?

I might be off base but does anyone think that Dexter and Lumen may either end up together or at least other characters on the show will think that they are together?
This doesn't sound too off base. Dexter did go to Lumen's hotel more than once, and he was carrying Harrison, and told the clerk that he was her husband. If Peter Weller tracks Lumen to this place and asks the clerk, she can tell him this, adding more suspicion.
Old 11-01-10, 04:40 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Dexter's narration has always been unreliable, and rarely expresses his true feelings (those are typically represented by Ajax).
Old 11-01-10, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

This is an awful lot like the Jimmy Smits season, minus the fact that Dexter didn't end up having sex with Smit's character. Still enjoying it though, and most every time I think I have things figured they usually fool me to some extent.

Batista/La Guerta have turned this into a 30 minute show when recorded. Deb and Quinn are not FF worthy, but geez Deb, I hope you are regularly getting checked for STDs.
Old 11-01-10, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Dexter just casually stopping to talk to Lumen, taking a call, etc while cops are on their way or already there makes no sense

And as sloppy as Dexter is, all the inconsistencies at the crime scene makes the cops look even sloppier. So this mummified guy shoots someone and chases him around? He didn't step on any of the blood while chasing him? Where are his clothes? Buddy is dead with a broken neck, no fingerprints on him from mummy-boy? No blood on his hands or anywhere? I really can't see how they can explain the events that happened since the pieces of the puzzle really don't fit.

Musaka was the highlight of the show.
Old 11-01-10, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Also the mummy guy had time to use the plastic ties to chain the victim to the post?
Old 11-02-10, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Coral
Dexter just casually stopping to talk to Lumen, taking a call, etc while cops are on their way or already there makes no sense

And as sloppy as Dexter is, all the inconsistencies at the crime scene makes the cops look even sloppier. So this mummified guy shoots someone and chases him around? He didn't step on any of the blood while chasing him? Where are his clothes? Buddy is dead with a broken neck, no fingerprints on him from mummy-boy? No blood on his hands or anywhere? I really can't see how they can explain the events that happened since the pieces of the puzzle really don't fit.

Yes I still love the show, but it has certainly gotten a little sloppy the last few weeks. Seems more like one of those lame cliffhanger ridden NBC dramas than the (relatively) smart show we know and love. As you point out, that crime scene was written off way too quickly and seemed like crappy writing.
Old 11-02-10, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, that was totally retarded. Mummy guy first shoots, then chases victim, then ties guy and then dies...makes no sense
Old 11-02-10, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

True but I think it just comes down to the fact that the cops saw what they saw and they didn't question it. I think they saw it and immediately thought "open and shut, let's move on." I think Dexter saying that the blood splatter matched up with Musaka's theory made it even more obvious that there was no need to look into it deeper.

BUT I do feel that everything was wrapped up just a little too nicely for Dexter. He always seems to come out of it without any issues, I just don't like the way it got done this episode.

I still feel they wrapped up Rita's death too neatly. It almost seems that the writer's felt they went too deep with Rita, her kids and Harrison and that they needed to take a step back from it all so they kill Rita, send the kids away and stick Harrison with the nanny so Dexter can go be Dexter without all the distractions.
Old 11-02-10, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is the baby sitter mentioned in the books?
Somehow I expect that things are going to go really bad with her.
Old 11-02-10, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3
Is the baby sitter mentioned in the books?
Somehow I expect that things are going to go really bad with her.
The Dexter TV series and the Dexter novels are completely animals. The first season of Dexter was based on the first novel, but with season two, the show took its own direction and didn't make any attempt to adapt the second novel.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.