Old 10-28-10, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Outsourced -- "Bolloween" -- 10/28/10

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2010-09-11

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Excited about Halloween, Todd (Ben Rappaport) tries to get the office in the holiday spirit, but his co-workers have no idea what the hell Halloween is all about. After a series of Halloween pranks and an attempt to explain why people dress up, Todd decides to throw a costume party. Taking advantage of the social setting, Todd tries to get closer to Asha (Rebecca Hazlewood), but the plan backfires when Tonya (Pippa Black) makes a pass at Todd.

Episode 6 of 22
Old 10-28-10, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Outsourced -- "Bolloween" -- 10/28/10

That little episode preview last week for this one looked really good. Excited to see it tonight.
Old 10-28-10, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Bump since this has aired in the East.
Old 10-28-10, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This show has definitely grown on me and this episode had some funny moments.. Asha is quite stunning!
Old 10-28-10, 11:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Asha is quite stunning!
She looked great in her costume.

The "redundant" line had me laughing.
Old 10-29-10, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This show keeps getting better and better and there are connections that are starting to form with the characters.

Very, very awesome that they continue pointing out (in comedic ways of course) what is wrong with the American business model with the guy getting a massage on his corporate retreat in Hawaii.

Gupta continues to be my favorite character.

Pay me, bitch.

Last edited by conscience; 10-29-10 at 07:46 AM.
Old 10-29-10, 09:13 AM

Surprised people are enjoying this. I admit I haven't really watched the last few episodes, but this one didn't seem like an improvement on what I have seen. If Asha and the Aussie chick weren't so attractive, I wouldn't have watched the whole episode. Some funny lines, but it is a pretty dull show in my opinion.
Old 10-29-10, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Back in the late 80's/early 90's I worked with a guy named Gupta who was exactly like the Gupta character on this show. It's uncanny really. We called him Goofta.
Old 10-29-10, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"I feel bad for the naughty schoolgirl. She's been held back for so many years, her school uniform doesn't fit her anymore."

"It's not a real spider."
"Not anymore! I must find the eggs!"

I also liked Madhuri dressing as a lampshade.
Old 10-29-10, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

October 28, 2010, 8:00 PM ET
‘Outsourced’ Star Rebecca Hazlewood on Working as a British Actress of Indian Descent
by Michelle Kung

In tonight’s Halloween-themed episode of “Outsourced,” Rebecca Hazlewood’s Indian call center employee Asha gets in the holiday spirit by dressing as Cleopatra for her American boss’ party. Though the British actress enjoyed dressing up as the Egyptian queen, she admits the experience didn’t align with her experiences with the holiday growing up in the UK.

“In England, you’ll dress up and universities will have a Halloween ball. it’s based on the tradition of the night of the dead, the hallowed evening, all that, and you dress as something scary,” she says. “Here you just dress as something you enjoy. It’s quite fun.”

We spoke to Hazlewood, who’s been based out of L.A. for the past three years, about her experiences working as an actress of Indian descent in Hollywood.

Thanks to the success of “Slumdog Millionaire,” it seems as if there are more roles for Indian and Indian-American actors nowadays. What attracted you to “Outsourced” in particular?

Definitely this year, there was a dramatic increase of East Indian roles… With “Outsourced,” I thought it was an incredibly interesting idea, and that the writers had taken steps to base the story on a different culture, and that was something that really appealed to me.

What advice were you given when you made the transition from working in the UK to the U.S.?

When I first came here, I was more of a novelty, because not only was I Indian, but I had a British accent and a British career behind me. But I was told to just be myself and I’d be fine.

How would you compare the casting process in the U.S. versus the UK?

I think it’s more color blind in the UK because Britain and India have had a long historical relationship. In particular, in the 1960s, South Asians had a huge influence on the country. In Britain, writers will certainly write for a certain Indian actor in mind — not to say it’s a token role, but generally, in England, things are a couple years ahead. It’s startling how mixed it is in London.

How do you respond to critics who think ‘Outsourced’ is reinforcing ethnic stereotypes?

If anything, the show challenges stereotypes. It demonstrates that you can go anywhere in the world and all people can relate to certain situations, which is more of what the show is about. Plus, you’re going to get stereotypes in any kind or drama. The way we do the show is very different — in the way it’s been cast, in the way it looks, and its themes. We’re exploring a whole host of issues; for example, we’re going to have a diwali episode, and one with a monsoon.

How many Indian or Indian-American writers are there on the show?

It is quite a collective show — we have a very strong team of writers, and the show has been scripted for 13 episodes, which is what we were originally committed to do. About a third of the writers are Indian.
That's interesting that approx 1/3 of the show's writers are Indian. The show has gotten better since the pilot but it's still just kinda there.
Old 10-29-10, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by wishbone
The show has gotten better since the pilot but it's still just kinda there.
Agreed. I think the show's weakest link is the lead. I also roll my eyes anytime they use cultural differences for a laugh. It just strikes me as too easy and it's usually not even that funny.
Old 10-29-10, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When is Parks & Rec coming back, NBC? You bastards...
Old 10-29-10, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FatTony
Agreed. I think the show's weakest link is the lead. I also roll my eyes anytime they use cultural differences for a laugh. It just strikes me as too easy and it's usually not even that funny.
Yeah, I agree to a large extent. I do find the show occasionally funny, but it stands on this side of the "generic sit-com" line, partly because several of the characters (the lead guy, Diedrich Bader's character, the hot Aussie girl) are just such stock characters we have seen in American sit-coms over the last twenty years.

I actually find the Indian characters to be the much better (and funnier) parts of the show, because the writers are actually developing them as full-fledged characters, rather than the stock sit-com caricatures that the aforementioned parts of the show are.
Old 10-29-10, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm not liking what the pick-up of this show might mean for Community and P&R so I'm out.
It's not that good anyway and Ben Rappaport might be the worst actor on TV right now.
Old 10-29-10, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Both this and the CBS Shatner show seemed to me to make big strides this week, but I'm still not close to being sold on either show.
Old 10-30-10, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Something about Rebecca Hazelwood is very yummy.