Old 10-28-10, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Nikita -- "The Recruit" -- 10/28/10

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2010-09-03

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Alex (Lyndsy Fonseca) informs Nikita (Maggie Q) that one of the recruits has been activated to carry out a suicide mission. Nikita intercepts the recruit just as Michael (Shane West) arrives, and the two sides exchange gunfire. Meanwhile, back inside the walls of Division, another recruit decides to attack several guards, creating mass chaos.

Episode 7 of 22 (got a full season last week)

This one sounds really interesting.

Promo:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0P6gn9SGVFY?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0P6gn9SGVFY?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 10-28-10, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Nikita -- "The Recruit" -- 10/28/10

Bumping mostly for Fist of Doom and myself since we'll probably be the only ones chiming in tonight.

Looking forward to this episode.
Old 10-28-10, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Bumping mostly for Fist of Doom and myself since we'll probably be the only ones chiming in tonight.

Looking forward to this episode.
You'll love it. This show has gone from pretty good to excellent the last couple of episodes. They really fired on all cylinders tonight.

Edit: And Alex looked especially hot this ep.
Old 10-28-10, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, I missed last week's episode. But saw tonight's which was good, lots of action.
Old 10-28-10, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Ranger
Well, I missed last week's episode. But saw tonight's which was good, lots of action.
You should watch last week's episode. There was an important character reveal that is integral to Nikita's motives and it was a really good episode too. It's posted on the CW website.
Old 10-29-10, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Very good episode. Lots of action with a couple of crazy shootouts.

I love Nikita and how snarky she is. When she arrived at the Oil company and saw Division's van, loved how she rolled her eyes and said.."So Predictable." It was fun to see Percy lose his mind when they couldn't trigger the bomb.

I'm also really liking the backstory of Nikita and Alex that they casually add into each episode.

And that was an interesting reveal at the end about that recruit being added to the Cleaner program similar to what Owen was. I'm sure he will play a role in the arc sooner or later.

I know we have been comparing The Event to 24 this season, but I think this show has alot more similarity to it. I think the shooting style (already similar to a feature film), the cloak and dagger atmosphere and the storytelling is very similar to 24's style in seasons 1-3. I look forward to watching this every Thursday.

The show is such a breath of fresh air compared to the usual CW programming that this network greenlights. I would have never guessed the network that gave us Gossip Girl and 90210 would have a fast paced action serial.
Old 10-29-10, 03:06 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The show is such a breath of fresh air compared to the usual CW programming that this network greenlights. I would have never guessed the network that gave us Gossip Girl and 90210 would have a fast paced action serial.
Aren't they talking about retooling this show for female viewers, though? I'm wondering how much longer I should even stick with it in that case.
Old 10-29-10, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Aren't they talking about retooling this show for female viewers, though? I'm wondering how much longer I should even stick with it in that case.
I can't imagine it's going to be that drastic. All I read is a potential love interest for Nikita (which is fine with me, she's hot and has needs and Michael has been dead for 3 years) and it not being as dark and gloomy. Hell, Jack Bauer went like 10 years 24-time without getting laid.

As long as they keep the action, keep Percy being a dick, and keep the arc focused on Nikita's objective, the show should be fine.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-29-10 at 03:17 AM.
Old 10-29-10, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I like Nikita a lot and I saw the original La Femme Nikita in France back in 1990... That's when I became Luc Besson fan.
Old 10-29-10, 03:14 PM

I see Vampire Diaries style soap opera in Nikita's future.
Old 10-29-10, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by aynrandgirl
So what? Vampire Diaries IMO is one of the best shows on the CW. It has a good mix of horror, comedy, action and a little sex as well.

Every show on TV has some sort of relationship/soap opera element to it. Some of the best action serials like 24, Prison Break, Smallville, Supernatural and of course Lost had those elements. I don't see what the big deal is with Nikita trying to get some more girls and women to watch it. Even the action comedy The Good Guys on FOX , which has a small following, made a few tweaks to get some more women to watch it.
Old 10-29-10, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aynrandgirl
Come on, folks. Let's not write off the show before we even see the changes (if any).

I don't think giving Nikita a love interest would hurt the show, as long as it doesn't become the focus.
Old 10-29-10, 06:14 PM

So what? Vampire Diaries IMO is one of the best shows on the CW. It has a good mix of horror, comedy, action and a little sex as well.
Which is appropriate for paranormal romance, which Nikita is not.

As long as you don't care about losing most of your male viewers, there's nothing wrong with making Nikita appeal more to women. That's why "tweaks" to appeal to women inevitably kill shows that originally appeal to men. If I didn't watch this show I wouldn't care how they screwed it up.

Then there's the sheer sexism involved. Ever heard a TV exec say "we need to tweak this show to appeal to more men"? Of course not, men don't matter as viewers even for shows that are clearly intended to appeal to them (cue Nikita's swimsuit scene here). I would matter as a viewer, if I was the "right kind" of woman. That is, one for whom it's not enough that the protagonist is female, the show must be about women.
Old 10-29-10, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always found Nikita's use of voice to text ridiculously amusing so showing Alex recording voice samples got a laugh out of me. Her off the grid training regiment sounds like a hoot too.

From the way the scene played out I can only assume Alex actually does know a secret way out of division and was going to reveal it to the psycho. Considering he was kind of an ass and looking forward to being a contract killer for Division I don't think the ep did a great job showing Alex getting close enough to him to take that risk for him. It would have played better a lot better if they had established the character over a few episodes and then had this payoff, especially if they plan on using him in the future.