DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Johnny Depp wants to remake "The Thin Man"

JumpCutz
10-25-10, 12:21 AM
If this does get remade, in all likelihood his co-star will be Julia Roberts, or some other equally miscast actress.

-ohbfrank-

Suddenly the hot writing job at Warner Bros is the 76-year old film The Thin Man, because Johnny Depp wants to remake it with his Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides director Rob Marshall. The studio already has put together a short list of Terry Rossio, Jerry Stahl and Christopher McQuarrie, each of whom have worked previously with Depp. And like the actor, they are fans of the Dashiell Hammett novel and the series of six MGM films that starred William Powell and Myrna Loy. Depp sparked to playing the role of Nick, who marries a young socialite and settles into a life of drinking and occasional sleuthing. No word on who'll play Norah. "The Thin Man has long been a favorite of mine and with Rob at the helm, I know we're in great hands," Depp said. Added Warner Bros Pictures Group president Jeff Robinov: "There is no one more perfectly suited to portray Nick Charles than Johnny Depp." Depp and his Infinitum Nihil partner Christi Dembrowski are producing with Langley Park's Kevin McCormick. As a Warner Bros production executive, McCormick worked with Depp on such films as Sweeney Todd and Dark Shadows. The intention is to take elements of the first two films and work them into one film. It will be true to the period, in a Sherlock Holmes-like stylized treatment. They also intend to use Marshall’s talents as a choreographer and work in a musical number or two. Despite the excitement, Depp has plenty to keep him busy. He's booked to star with Tim Burton in Dark Shadows, along with Tom Hanks he is circling the Kathryn Bigelow-directed Triple Frontier (aka Sleeping Dogs), and he is eyeing a re-team with his original Pirates director Gore Verbinski in The Lone Ranger.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/10/johnny-depp-fancies-another-go-at-the-thin-man-and-writers-are-lining-up/

Solid Snake
10-25-10, 01:07 AM
Well....it's a book, adaptations happen. It's not like their remaking The Third Man..YET (whatever happened to that DiCaprio produced remake or whatever?)

Sean O'Hara
10-25-10, 01:53 AM
I'd like to see a remake. As good as the original is, there's some really perverse stuff in the book that could only be hintd at by the movie. However, it really needs to be done as a fairly low-budget film -- if they try to make a Johnny Depp blockbuster, they'll ruin it.

Personally, I'd love to see David Mamet tackle this.

Giantrobo
10-25-10, 02:00 AM
Oh god no! Another remake?!? We don't need this!

Or do we let this slide since Depp wants to do this?

Geofferson
10-25-10, 09:54 AM
^ I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. ;)

Groucho
10-25-10, 10:00 AM
I'm not too thrilled about this. I think they should leave the original story alone, but I'm open to new Nick and Nora films.

After watching The Brothers Bloom I think Rachel Weisz would make a good Nora Charles.

Ash Ketchum
10-25-10, 10:16 AM
They drank like fish in the book and the movie. Probably smoked a lot, too. To replace alcohol and tobacco addictions in the remake, the characters will be on their iPhones all the time. "Oh, the suspect just texted me to deny he had anything to do with the crime. He says I should check out what so-and-so was doing on Friday night. I'll google him. You check out his Facebook profile."

I think I'll stick with the original. They had way more fun in that one.

Hokeyboy
10-25-10, 10:19 AM
It's REALLY hard to picture anyone else in the iconic Nick & Nora roles, but if they maintain (1) the 1930s setting, (2) the rampant alcohol abuse, and (3) the razorsharp, acerbic banter between the couple, I could see them pulling this off.

You need a STRONG comedic actress who can go toe-to-toe and even 1-up Depp on this while maintaining an aristocratic veneer. Actually, Cameron Diaz might not be a bad choice necessarily.

Groucho
10-25-10, 10:21 AM
It's REALLY hard to picture anyone else in the iconic Nick & Nora rolesEven David Niven and Maggie Smith couldn't pull it off, and I like both of those actors.

slop101
10-25-10, 11:12 AM
I like Johnny Depp just fine, but he is no William Powell.

Drexl
10-25-10, 11:22 AM
Amy Adams for Norah.

resinrats
10-25-10, 11:37 AM
As far as remakes go, at least its based on a really old movie and not one from just 20 years ago.

Hokeyboy
10-25-10, 11:44 AM
Amy Adams for Norah.
Think we got a winner here. :up:

Ash Ketchum
10-25-10, 03:38 PM
Amy Adams for Norah.

That's Nick 'n' Nora...
http://www.curragh-labs.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/nickandnoracharles-248x300.jpg

Not Nick & Norah...
http://similarmovies.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/nick-and-norahs-infinite-playlist.jpg

Or Norah and Jude...
http://imstars.aufeminin.com/stars/fan/norah-jones/norah-jones-20070612-268935.jpg

Numanoid
10-25-10, 05:44 PM
Actually, Cameron Diaz might not be a bad choice necessarily.One more comment like that, and you're going on my ignore list. Ugh. Might as well throw in an all-CGI Asta, too. :yack:

Giantrobo
10-25-10, 06:14 PM
^ I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. ;)

dvdtalk is a changin'

Giantrobo
10-25-10, 06:14 PM
Amy Adams for Norah.

A fine pick. A truly talented actress.

Sessa17
10-25-10, 06:48 PM
After watching The Brothers Bloom I think Rachel Weisz would make a good Nora Charles.

I'd agree with that, but either way I do not want this remake to be made. Depp would annoy the shit out of me as Nick. I know I'm alone, especially here, but I can't think of an actor that I liked at one point as much as Depp, that I have grown so completely tired of to the point of being utterly bored by him in pretty much everything he has done the past 10 years.

Charlie Goose
10-25-10, 07:34 PM
How about Kristen Wiig? (runs)

Hokeyboy
10-25-10, 07:41 PM
One more comment like that, and you're going on my ignore list. Ugh. Might as well throw in an all-CGI Asta, too. :yack:
Ignore away. I'm not her biggest fan, but she does have some strong comedic chops. But I agree that Amy Adams is a better choice. :shrug:

JumpCutz
10-25-10, 07:51 PM
Depp would annoy the shit out of me as Nick. I know I'm alone, especially here, but I can't think of an actor that I liked at one point as much as Depp, that I have grown so completely tired of to the point of being utterly bored by him in pretty much everything he has done the past 10 years.

:thumbsup: You're not alone. I'm in complete agreement.

CharlieK
10-25-10, 08:23 PM
Watching her on 30 Rock, I think Elizabeth Banks could pull it off. Hell, what about Alec Baldwin?!

wishbone
10-25-10, 09:12 PM
It's REALLY hard to picture anyone else in the iconic Nick & Nora roles, but if they maintain (1) the 1930s setting, (2) the rampant alcohol abuse, and (3) the razorsharp, acerbic banter between the couple, I could see them pulling this off.The rampant alcohol abuse was toned down by the second film. :shrug:

But I agree character chemistry is everything for such an endeavor.Might as well throw in an all-CGI Asta, too. :yack:That would be god-awful. :lol:Hell, what about Alec Baldwin?!Worst. Nora Charles. Ever. -ohbfrank-

Numanoid
10-25-10, 11:35 PM
:thumbsup: You're not alone. I'm in complete agreement.Same here, except I've always been bored with him.

Numanoid
10-25-10, 11:36 PM
There is obviously only one choice for Nora -- Chelsea Handler.

Charlie Goose
10-26-10, 01:17 AM
Kate Winslet would do a good job, I think.

Hokeyboy
10-26-10, 02:36 AM
There is obviously only one choice for Nora -- Chelsea Handler.
:up: and Jay Leno as Nick.