Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Boy I'm out of: Phoenix (a band I've never heard of) Played Madison Square Garden?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Boy I'm out of: Phoenix (a band I've never heard of) Played Madison Square Garden?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-10, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

When did these guys become popular and are they good or do they suck?
Old 10-21-10, 08:57 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Boy I'm out of: Phoenix (a band I've never heard of) Played Madison Square Garden

A couple years ago they started getting exposure, this being one of their most well known songs in this Cadillac commercial. I dunno, I like some of their stuff. And some I don't

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wVN9rHhwK3A?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wVN9rHhwK3A?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 10-21-10, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Boy I'm out of: Phoenix (a band I've never heard of) Played Madison Square Garden

I first became aware of them from the song Too Young on the Lost in Translation OST:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HyU24rr0doo?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HyU24rr0doo?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Then soon after the alt-rock channel on my cable system put them into heavy rotation.
Old 10-21-10, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

They opened for The Killers in last year's tour. I thought they were great live.
Old 10-22-10, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
I first became aware of them from the song Too Young on the Lost in Translation OST.
That song was on a previous soundtrack, Shallow Hal from '01; it plays in the scene where Jack Black is dancing with the "hotties" on the dance floor.

If their music sounded more like that track, I'd have a higher opinion of them.
Old 10-22-10, 04:24 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like more than I dislike, but they're not as good as Air (whom they used to back live IIRC). I saw them and Metric opened and totally killed. I would have happily skipped Phoenix after that but my friends wanted to stay (crazy, I know!).
Old 10-22-10, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This band is ok, better than most crap that is on the radio. They are becoming known as the "Repeat" band because they write enough lyrics for a 1 min song and stretch them by repeating the lyrics. I'm not talking about verses, I mean saying the same word 10 times in a row. The Chorus for "Falling" is "Falling,Falling,Falling,Falling,Falling", and that is formula for the rest of their songs as well.
Old 10-22-10, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I love Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix, prob listened to that album 75 times. Yes they repeat lyrics a lot but it fits with the groove they created so I let that fly by.
Old 10-22-10, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Phoenix is great, IMO.
Old 10-22-10, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Enjoyable band. Constantly played on one of the radio stations I listen to up in the Seattle area.
Old 10-22-10, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar
When did these guys become popular and are they good or do they suck?
Surely there are less obvious ways to admit that you are getting old.
Old 10-22-10, 09:30 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by printerati
Get off cungar's lawn!
Old 10-22-10, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by printerati
Well I knew that. But I know a lot of young bands (I read Pitchfork damnit!). It trips me out when a band I've never heard plays MSG. In my day only great bands like Led Zeppelin and The Who played the Garden. Now where's my teeth? I need to go play some shuffleboard.
Old 10-22-10, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I like more than I dislike, but they're not as good as Air (whom they used to back live IIRC). I saw them and Metric opened and totally killed. I would have happily skipped Phoenix after that but my friends wanted to stay (crazy, I know!).
They're my least favorite of the French-bands-that-write-English-lyrics bands (I prefer M83 over Air), but I'd still rate them above most American groups.
Old 10-22-10, 11:51 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Ha ha, you're old.

(How does that feel coming from a 47-year-old?)

Old 10-22-10, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Ha ha, you're old.

(How does that feel coming from a 47-year-old?)

Got you beat by 2 years
Old 10-22-10, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Local radio plays 1901 (song in the Cadillac ad) waaaaay too much.
Old 10-23-10, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Cungar, what radio stations do you listen to? Most alternative channels have been playing Phoenix for nearly two years. They were even on SNL two years ago. Great album IMO. I haven't seen them live yet, but they were on Jimmy Kimmel two weeks ago and he said they were one of the best concerts he had ever seen.
Old 10-23-10, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet

I would give your left ball to see Metric live. I played the shit out of their last album.
Old 10-27-10, 09:36 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Local radio plays 1901 (song in the Cadillac ad) waaaaay too much.
I'm hearing Listomania way more now, but I like the song. So I don't mind.
Old 10-27-10, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Cungar, what radio stations do you listen to? Most alternative channels have been playing Phoenix for nearly two years. They were even on SNL two years ago. Great album IMO. I haven't seen them live yet, but they were on Jimmy Kimmel two weeks ago and he said they were one of the best concerts he had ever seen.
Don't listen to radio. I live in LA and there are no good alt-rock stations. And don't say KROQ because it sucks these days. I do listen to a lot of bands that generate a buzz online: Animal Collective, Grizzly Bear, My Morning Jacket etc. and I have no opinion on this band. Was just surprised to see them playing MSG.
Old 10-27-10, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar
Don't listen to radio. I live in LA and there are no good alt-rock stations. And don't say KROQ because it sucks these days. I do listen to a lot of bands that generate a buzz online: Animal Collective, Grizzly Bear, My Morning Jacket etc. and I have no opinion on this band. Was just surprised to see them playing MSG.
I like the 3 bands you mentioned, especially MMJ. Listen to Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix, it seems like it's right up your alley.