Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Selling off the collection... :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-10, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Selling off the collection... :(

Trying to pull together some scratch to take the family on a vacation this winter, so I'm selling off all 20 boxes of comics, title by title. If anyone is interested, send me a PM.

Thanks!
Steve
Old 10-20-10, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Selling off the collection... :(

Selling comic books for money is a losing idea. $10-$15 per long box is the average rate of return selling to a store. Ebay is a good place for selling runs or complete collections of a title. Selling singles is rough unless you get then blocked in plastic and graded.

Consider most books newer then 1980 to be sold in boxes... you might get luckier with older books if you got a nice collection.

The basic rule is to sell comics to make room in your house, not to make money.
Old 10-21-10, 05:13 AM

About the only thing that works besides knowing someone who wants them and can pay for them is to wait for a comic book movie to hit theaters. Sell off sets related to the movie during the hype.

Example: When The Dark Knight hit theaters you could have sold off all of your Batman comics.

But it is very hard to sell comics. People only pick at them at Yard Sales and Flea Markets. Comic Shops won't even take them for free these days. eBay may be the best place to actually sell them at times but be warned ... people want to know the conditions of each and every comic. They want to see all of them in photos. They want details like what edition is it? Newsstand or Direct Edition? Cover A, B, C, D, or E? On and on. It is a pain in the neck to list lots of comics. As for just single comics unless it's very rare / popular / worth a lot ... no one is gonna bother with it unless they need it to fill in a gap in their collections. An they won't pay much for that over the Internet.

Good luck! (I gave up after it took me over a year to sell 500 comics on eBay. It was a pain in the neck!)
Old 10-21-10, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the opinions/help, guys. Right now, listing them on eBay, and we'll see how it goes. I'm mostly selling them in lots - I have some nice runs, so I'm hoping they'll do well. My eBay seller ID is: sbfay-half, if any of you are interested. Send me a PM if you're interested in any, and again, I appreciate the help and opinions!

Thanks,
Steve
Old 10-21-10, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Whew, thats a lot of recent singles. Some of your Batman stuff may do well, but I dont think you'll be making much. You need some Golden or Silver age, or some OOP HC's/Trades.
Old 10-21-10, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Let us know how it goes for you. Many of us are always thinking about doing the same thing
Old 10-22-10, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We'll see. So far, listed about 20% of the collection, and no auctions have ended yet - up to around $200. That's not including fees (first 100 auctions were free to list) and paypal fees - but not including the tiny profit on shipping either. We'll see. I just listed some better lots (nearly complete run of Fables, Fell, Greek Street - complete, etc.)

Mostly, I just want the comics gone, so I'm not really trying to reap thousands from them, but I'm hoping I'll do alright.

We'll see, though.