DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Computer Poker Question

Shamus McAnally
10-19-10, 10:26 PM
OK, first of all, I know I'll get the "wrong forum" remarks, and if this takes a turn that way, I agree. But, this isn't quite a game recommendation (video game forum) thread... yet. (I certainly won't turn down any viewpoints for good games, though.) And I apologize in advance, if this needs to be moved. But, since most of the poker minds are here, I thought I'd at least give this place a shot first.

I'm looking to buy a Christmas present for a teen. He is very into poker. He recently got a virus on his computer from online playing and isn't allowed to hit those sites anymore. When he goes away to school, he'll have more freedom, but I don't necessarily want to recommend him playing online poker, no matter how good the anti-virus program/firewall. (Or be responsible for him getting into financial trouble when he won't even have a job. Yes, yes, he could win, but that's not a chance I want to be the impetus for him taking.)

My question ("FINALLY!") is: are there any PC games that come close to playing poker on one of the online playing sites (which I've read isn't close to the real thing)? He really fancies himself a strong player, so I'd like to find something that will really challenge and occupy his attention. I'd just really love it if that something were a PC game that didn't require getting online/playing against real people/getting interested in betting. If he eventually goes there on his on, so be it.

If you have reviews/experience with great poker games with a super smart AI that will almost make it seem like playing against others, that would be wonderful. If not, but you can tell me of a super safe site where it's playing against others but without needing to put any money on the line, that's not my first choice, but still very appreciated.

Between my crappy searching on here and just reading many of the poker-related threads, it seems like there are some really good opinions on all things poker on this site. In advance, I appreciate any knowledge anyone can impart to a poker-deficient like myself. (I've already found a couple of great books that might get purchased as well.)

mgbfan
10-20-10, 01:03 AM
If he's not playing other live players, it won't simulate the experience. I'm also not sure how playing online poker got him a virus. That doesn't make sense. Have him download a major poker client and play there. Almost all have "play money" modes, and they're free.

Granted, most people here would point out that without real $$ on the table, it's not poker, but since he's probably underage, this may be the best he'll get.

Shamus McAnally
10-20-10, 04:01 PM
If he's not playing other live players, it won't simulate the experience. I'm also not sure how playing online poker got him a virus. That doesn't make sense. Have him download a major poker client and play there. Almost all have "play money" modes, and they're free.

Granted, most people here would point out that without real $$ on the table, it's not poker, but since he's probably underage, this may be the best he'll get.

I don't quite know about the virus thing. I don't know if it's just suspected or that's what he was told at Best Buy (where he took the computer to get checked/fixed), but that's how I heard it.

I knew the "no money, no real poker thing" would come out here, but he can still get the "thrill" of playing something similar without the financial disaster (or windfall) of playing for money.

Any recommended "major poker client"? I guess it's obvious it's something I wouldn't have to buy, but if I could direct him to something good, that would help.

Thanks for the opinion.

mgbfan
10-20-10, 07:39 PM
Pokerstars, Full Tilt, Cake ... lots of options.

Deftones
10-20-10, 08:39 PM
the people at best buy's tech support are clueless. if you download the poker client directly from their site, there is no way you can get a virus.

Shamus McAnally
10-20-10, 10:29 PM
Thanks again guys for the help. Not what I planned, but maybe even better.

Much appreciated!