Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Kanye West: My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy - Nov. 22nd

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-10, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First, let me preface this post by saying that if you don't like the artist Kanye West, for any reason (and there are many), please don't use this thread to express that. If you don't like hip hop, also not the thread for you. This thread is to discuss West's new album, out Nov. 22nd.

First, the album cover (could be considered NSFW):

Spoiler:

Def Jam is reportedly trying to get him to change it.

Track Listing:

1. "Dark Fantasy"
2. "Gorgeous" (featuring Kid Cudi & Raekwon)
3. "Power"
4. "All of the Lights"
5. "Monster" (featuring Jay-Z, Rick Ross, Nicki Minaj & Bon Iver)
6. "So Appalled" (featuring Jay-Z, Pusha T, Prynce Cy Hi, Swizz Beatz & RZA)
7. "Devil in a New Dress"
8. "Runaway" (featuring Pusha T)
9. "Hell of a Life"
10. "Blame Game" (featuring John Legend & Pusha T)
11. "Lost in the World"
12. "See Me Now"

Secondly, if you hadn't heard, West has been doing something awesome over the last few months by releasing a free track every Friday on twitter as part of his G.O.O.D. Friday series. Regardless of how you feel about the guy, he has given out nearly an album worth of free music. To me, that is all kinds of cool. All the tracks are available for download on his website for the cost of an e-mail address.

Album is due November 2nd but the tracklist has not been finalized. Some of the G.O.O.D. Friday songs will probably make the cut.

I'm a fan of all four of his prior albums. 808s & Heartbreak was a stretch but even that record really grew on me. If nothing else, this dude is following his muse.

Last edited by auto; 10-23-10 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-18-10, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Kanye West: My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy - Nov. 22nd

I've been a fan of Kanye since day one, before he started rapping even and was just producing and providing background vocals on Roc-A-Fella Albums. I remember the first time I heard him rap and was shocked that this was the guy providing the beats as well; I was very impressed and checked out those first mixtapes he released around the time his album was being worked on and he had the car accident. His first three albums are classics. 808s & Heartbreak, I loved the first half of the album, but really wasn't a fan of the second half.

I sort of wish he had stuck with Good Ass Job as the title of this album though, as I sort of liked the theme he was doing for his albums, but it's a minor point. I haven't really been following the Good Friday thing he was doing, but was aware of it and think it's pretty cool. I expect this album to deliver. As much as Kanye the person is self-centered and obnoxious, Kanye the artist is a enormously talented individual.

That cover art is something else. I definitely wouldn't be surprised if DefJam tries to get him to change it, but at the end of the day they sort of should just let him do whatever he wants. This album will sell like hotcakes. People are going to get it because of Kanye; the cover being really creepy probably won't change anyone's mind on getting the album.

---

On another semi-related note...Kid Cudi's sophomore album can't come soon enough.
Old 10-18-10, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Well, I guess Wal-Mart won't be selling this record with that cover art.

I like him as a producer and think he makes good music. He should take a lesson from Dr. Dre and have others do the majority of the rapping though.
Old 10-18-10, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Auto please use nsfw tags on that album cover.
Old 10-18-10, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mhg83
Auto please use nsfw tags on that album cover.
Donezo
Old 10-18-10, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely one of my most anticipated albums this year. Kanye has yet to disappoint in any album. Don't like the dude as a person but his music is still some of the best. Can't wait.
Old 10-19-10, 10:54 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Well, I guess Wal-Mart won't be selling this record with that cover art.

I like him as a producer and think he makes good music. He should take a lesson from Dr. Dre and have others do the majority of the rapping though.
Disagree, Kanye is a pretty good rapper. Listen to College Dropout and Late Registration to see many examples that he has as they say 'skillz'
Old 10-19-10, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree. I think his lyrics and delivery are pretty impressive. I like the goofball lyrics he throws in.

Great example of someone who doesn't sound very well spoken while speaking but is incredibly gifted with words while performing.
Old 10-19-10, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

his rhymes have improved over the years. Better producer/entertainer than an emcee though. I didnt like college dropout because of all the skits in between songs, good songs on the album, but the skits made it unlistenable for me. Big fan though, love that VMA song even though it was all distorted at the vma. Been looking forward to this album for months now.
Old 10-19-10, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts

I saw him open for U2 in 2005, and thought he was terrific. Not a huge fan, but respect him musically ever since I saw him.
Old 10-19-10, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So is this the album that's "Power" is going to be on? I am really digging that song.
Old 10-19-10, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep. Per Wikipedia, these are the confirmed tracks (but who knows):

* "Power" (featuring Dwele) (produced by Kanye West and S1)
* "Lost in the World" (featuring Justin Vernon of Bon Iver) (produced by Kanye West, Jon Brion, and Justin Vernon)
* "Chain Heavy"
* "Mama's Boyfriend"
* "All of the Lights" (featuring Rihanna, Alicia Keys, Elton John, Fergie, John Legend, The-Dream, Kid Cudi, Charlie Wilson, Ryan Leslie, Elly Jackson & Tony Williams)
* "Devil in a New Dress" (produced by Bink)
* "Blame Game" (featuring John Legend) (produced by Kanye West)
* "Runaway" (featuring Pusha T) (produced by Kanye West)
* "Dark Fantasy" (produced by RZA, Kanye West, and No I.D.)
* "See Me Now" (featuring Beyoncé & Charlie Wilson) (produced by Kanye West, No I.D., and Lex)
* "Monster" (featuring Rick Ross, Jay-Z, Bon Iver & Nicki Minaj) (produced by Kanye West)

It's a guarantee "Power" will be on there though.
Old 10-19-10, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

is runaway the song he did on the MTV awards? good song.
Old 10-19-10, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So apparently Kanye West either had his bottom front teeth pulled out and replace by gold/diamond false teeth or he had gold/diamonds permanently drilled into his bottom front teeth. There are no words.

Kanye West has found an innovative way to keep his smile sparkling - by replacing his teeth with diamond dentures.

The rapper has replaced his bottom set of enamels with a row of gold and diamond implants to create a shiny new smile.

He posted a picture of his mouth on Twitter, writing, "My teeth are real diamonds... these are not fronts... I replaced my bottom row of teeth with diamonds."

West showed off his expensive new look in an appearance on "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" this week and told the TV host why he felt he needed to replace his teeth.

He says, "I just thought the diamonds were cooler."
LINK
Old 10-19-10, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

And the Rappers that paved the way for this clown are either facepalming or rolling in their graves.
Old 10-19-10, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey Ye how the hell do ya chew?
" I don't, I have my bitches chew for me"
Old 10-19-10, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
And the Rappers that paved the way for this clown are either facepalming or rolling in their graves.
I'm a big fan of old school hip hop and there aren't too many new people coming out that I'm interested in. The only people recently (as in just coming out the last few years) that I've really liked are Kid Cudi and B.o.B and that's because I feel they're both bringing something different to the table and pushing the boundaries of the genre.

I felt that way about Kanye West too when he first came out and still do. I think he is one of the best examples of a modern day artist embracing what made classic hip hop classic. He "digs in the crates" and samples the obscure, he is cocky on the mic, he doesn't talk about violence and crime to an extreme, etc. He seems like a real idiot in his personal life and this teeth thing is just another on a long list of examples of his obscene vanity, but his music is great and I think he's done a lot for hip hop. I imagine some of the earlier rappers wouldn't necessarily condone some of his behaviour, but I imagine they'd approve of his output and artistry.
Old 10-20-10, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
So apparently Kanye West either had his bottom front teeth pulled out and replace by gold/diamond false teeth or he had gold/diamonds permanently drilled into his bottom front teeth. There are no words.
All of his lower teeth were fake anyway from the car accident he was in years ago (the song Through the Wire is about that).
Old 10-20-10, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I know what "Through The Wire" is about, lol. I even mentioned the accident earlier. Didn't realize he mentioned in the song having false teeth as a result of the accident though.
Old 10-20-10, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Who, the ones with the fat rope chains or the four finger rings?
Old 10-20-10, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Per the OPs request, let's just keep this thread a discussion of the new Kanye West album. Thanks.
Old 10-20-10, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hip Hop Nation and Shade45 on XM/Sirius are both heavy into "Runaway" these days, which has helped it grow on me. I got in trouble with the wife twice yesterday for singing the chorus within earshot of the kids.

Anyway Kanye is pretty much "can't miss" for me, a rare category that not too many hip hop artists can stay in for too long. Sure, dude is everything people say he is, but he lays down incredible tracks as a producer and can more than hold his own lyrically. First day buy.

auto - where are you "East of Ypsi" - Belleville? Redford? Canton/Westland?
Old 10-20-10, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Daryl
Hip Hop Nation and Shade45 on XM/Sirius are both heavy into "Runaway" these days, which has helped it grow on me. I got in trouble with the wife twice yesterday for singing the chorus within earshot of the kids.

Anyway Kanye is pretty much "can't miss" for me, a rare category that not too many hip hop artists can stay in for too long. Sure, dude is everything people say he is, but he lays down incredible tracks as a producer and can more than hold his own lyrically. First day buy.

auto - where are you "East of Ypsi" - Belleville? Redford? Canton/Westland?
Just moved from Ypsi to Canton. Grew up in Ypsilanti, home to the winner of the world's most phallic building contest.
Old 10-20-10, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's what's up! Right down the street from the best doughnuts in the world (Dom's). I grew up all over AA/Ypsi. Lived in Canton as well as an adult before moving out of state.

Anyway, good lookin' out on the link, I had forgot all about it - just got finished downloading them all.
Old 10-20-10, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Daryl
That's what's up! Right down the street from the best doughnuts in the world (Dom's). I grew up all over AA/Ypsi. Lived in Canton as well as an adult before moving out of state.

Anyway, good lookin' out on the link, I had forgot all about it - just got finished downloading them all.
Dom's.

My dad has stopped there every morning for coffee for probably 20 years.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.