Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Kirby's Epic Yarn

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-10, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Kirby's Epic Yarn

I'm a few levels in, and this is quite possibly the most pleasant video game I've ever played.

Relaxing, fun, definitely imaginative, but most of all, pleasant.

This game puts a smile on my face and warms my cockles.

Please pick this up to show that there's a market for quality imaginative titles that aren't dumbed-down shovelware or testosterone-filled shooters.
Old 10-17-10, 03:59 PM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Kirby's Epic Yarn

Kirby is the 2nd most neglected Nintendo series (behind Kid Icarus) that had lots of potential. There is still no pure 3D adventure game for it, Crystal Shards on N64 was supposed to be the big boy like Mario 64 or OOT but it was no where near that but at least they have succeeded on the 2D field still like what you mention.
Old 10-17-10, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, Kid Icarus only had that one NES game, and nothing since (besides appearing in Smash Bros. and I guess there's the upcoming 3DS game, but that's a ways off). Kirby's been in a bunch of stuff, a couple SNES game and mostly DS games, but they've all be solid, though they certainly skew very young.

I'd say this is the best Kirby game yet, if not the best 2D platformer on the Wii. Not that there's too many of them.
Old 10-17-10, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,186 Likes on 4,213 Posts

Just curious slop : did you get it at Kmart with the $20 coupon and the $20 off one of three games, or at TRU with the $10 GC + guide? Or somewhere else?

I think I'll pick it up at Kmart on Tuesday with one of my $15 Fallout NV coupons and might get Sin & Punishment 2 as well. Hadn't heard anything about it, but the reviews are good and I have the other two games they're offering.
Old 10-17-10, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like Decker, I'm curious as to where I should purchase it for the best price. I only have the Wii.
Old 10-17-10, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So apparently the Kmart deal is buy Kirby's Epic Yarn and get the $20 Gaming Certificate as well as $20 Off either New. Super Mario Bros. Wii, Metroid: Other M, or Sin And Punishment 2.

I think I'll use the $20 Certificate I have from picking up Enslaved last week to get Kirby at Kmart, and get another $20 Certificate in exchange. Maybe I'll pick up Metroid, even though it didn't get great reviews.
Old 10-17-10, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, this game is stellar. even the boss fights are cute and fun!
Old 10-17-10, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kstublen
I think I'll use the $20 Certificate I have from picking up Enslaved last week to get Kirby at Kmart
slight correction (in your favor) - that should be a $25 coupon from the Enslaved deal
Old 10-17-10, 10:42 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Well, Kid Icarus only had that one NES game, and nothing since (besides appearing in Smash Bros. and I guess there's the upcoming 3DS game, but that's a ways off).
There was also a Kid Icarus game for the original Game Boy.
Old 10-18-10, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm a few levels in, and this is quite possibly the most pleasant video game I've ever played.

Relaxing, fun, definitely imaginative, but most of all, pleasant.

This game puts a smile on my face and warms my cockles.

Please pick this up to show that there's a market for quality imaginative titles that aren't dumbed-down shovelware or testosterone-filled shooters.
Well said. The game is so laid-back and simple, and really enjoyable.
Old 10-18-10, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I played through the first stage in demo and I loved it. It's warm and cute and just plain fun. I was going to get from Amazon but it sounds like I might get this from K-Mart (I could use a 20 GC)

BTW, Great review here:http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/15/ki...iew/#continued

Last bit, "Kirby's Epic Yarn makes a convincing case for the idea that we don't have to be challenged every single time we play a video game. Occasionally, it's enough to be happy."

Last edited by squidget; 10-18-10 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-18-10, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

I'd say this is the best Kirby game yet, if not the best 2D platformer on the Wii. Not that there's too many of them.
That's still saying something, considering the awesomeness of NSMB Wii!

I don't see how I can avoid picking up Kirby's Epic Yarn. It sounds too enjoyable to pass up.
Old 10-18-10, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kefrank
That's still saying something, considering the awesomeness of NSMB Wii!
It's a totally different kind of platforming game, but same caliber of quality.
Old 10-18-10, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by FRwL
Kirby is the 2nd most neglected Nintendo series (behind Kid Icarus) that had lots of potential.
It's funny, up until midway through the xbox/ps2/GCN generation I was a Nintendo guy. Other than the NES, I was in line on launch day for every other Nintendo console, including the Wii. All that being said, I have never once played a Kirby game. I don't think I've even seen one before this one. Odd.

Anyway, this one looks interesting so I might nab it with all those K-mart deals* going on. Plus I have a daughter that might have some fun with it as well.

*$25 from Enslaved and $15 from the Fallout coasters = $15 out of pocket.
Old 10-18-10, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd never played a Kirby game in the past either, and fell in love with this one the moment I saw it.
Old 10-18-10, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember playing Kirby's Dream Land on my original Game Boy as a kid. One of my favourite games growing up. Good times. I also played Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards and had fun with it, although it was way too simple and over much too quickly. I enjoyed playing Kirby with all the different powers though. Looking forward to revisiting the character in this.
Old 10-18-10, 04:17 PM
En vacance

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
It's funny, up until midway through the xbox/ps2/GCN generation I was a Nintendo guy. Other than the NES, I was in line on launch day for every other Nintendo console, including the Wii. All that being said, I have never once played a Kirby game. I don't think I've even seen one before this one. Odd.
The big series now are Mario-Zelda-Metroid, Metroid is a newcomer since it skipped the 1st 3D generation (which was a really important one) while Mario/Zelda delivered in spades on 64. Kid Icarus i meant most neglected because it's technically a series with the 2 games (the GB one too like mentioned here) but the first game on the NES was often called the sister game of Metroid 1 and the two series were compared when both went to the Gameboy for their part 2. Kid Icarus on NES was one of the best games on that system, part 2 was like Metroid 2 both still good but not at their original levels, while Metroid 3 came out on SNES and was phenomenal that was the first stop since Kid Icarus was really well on its way for that but nothing which was weird. Now though there's that DS game to come out finally, but still a lot of generations have passed since then. Kirby was obviously given more attention on NES/GB/SNES, and though they actually did release on N64 it wasnt up to par compared with how Mario/Zelda did, and ever since it's been going strong on 2D but i still want to see them do a true 3D game for it. Also to this day i would still take a Metroid 64 with OOT/Megaman 64 type of engine over the Prime trilogy.

for best Kirby game my pick would by Kirby's Adventure on NES similar to the best Mario game being 3.
Old 10-18-10, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kstublen
So apparently the Kmart deal is buy Kirby's Epic Yarn and get the $20 Gaming Certificate as well as $20 Off either New. Super Mario Bros. Wii, Metroid: Other M, or Sin And Punishment 2.

I think I'll use the $20 Certificate I have from picking up Enslaved last week to get Kirby at Kmart, and get another $20 Certificate in exchange. Maybe I'll pick up Metroid, even though it didn't get great reviews.
anybody know when that $20 certificate is good for?
Old 10-18-10, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The $25 Enslaved one is good from 10/17-11/27.
Old 10-19-10, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What about the one you get from buying Kirby?
Old 10-19-10, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ahh, that would be active on 10/24 and valid for 30 or 45 days, I'm not sure which.
Old 10-19-10, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I helped my daughter with the final few levels/bosses of this game. its pretty easy but still fun.
Old 10-19-10, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I might get this for the girl as a birthday gift.. though I know damn well she'll see right through that.
Old 10-19-10, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,186 Likes on 4,213 Posts

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I might get this for the girl as a birthday gift.. though I know damn well she'll see right through that.
Old 10-19-10, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Close.

I know she'd like to play it and she'd LOVE to play it together, but she already knows I want it too.

Other options are Crackdown 2 or Dead Rising 2, but I don't want to play those.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.