Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Fable II for Free (Well, the first Episode at least)

PixyJunket
10-15-10, 03:56 PM
Make haste, kids.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024d5307f1/?p=1&of=6&bt=0&sb=1&did=00000001-0000-4000-8000-00004d5307f1

Liver&Onions
10-15-10, 03:57 PM
just posted it in the xbox thread - and it's in my queue. :)

starman9000
10-15-10, 04:11 PM
Wow, thanks. I actually bought this a month or two ago for cheap, but not having to put in the disc will be nice.

Groucho
10-15-10, 04:17 PM
Great! I own this on disc, but now I can get rid of that.

UncleGramps
10-15-10, 04:17 PM
It's in my queue. Hope they don't pull it out of the queue before I get home.

Liver&Onions
10-15-10, 04:21 PM
Hmm, there's some dude on twitter saying this is for the first episode of the episodic release of Fable... Pinata, can you get on this since you're at home doing fuck all anyway?

Groucho
10-15-10, 04:23 PM
Hmm, there's some dude on twitter saying this is for the first episode of the episodic release of Fable... Pinata, can you get on this since you're at home doing fuck all anyway?You could be right.

This appears to be the full game, for $19.99:

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/offers/f0000007-0000-4000-8000-00004d5307f1?cid=SLink

Spiderbite
10-15-10, 04:23 PM
Nice. Thanks. Just hit the link and turned on my xbox and it is now downloading.

Any reason for this or is it a glitch?

Spiderbite
10-15-10, 04:24 PM
Well, it is showing as a 6.59 GB download so I would assume it is the full game.

PixyJunket
10-15-10, 04:26 PM
Here's the deal, this link WAS for the "extended demo" download.

It has apparently been changed to the full game.

Meaning if you had downloaded "Fable II Episode I" at some point, you now have the full game in your history.

Liver&Onions
10-15-10, 04:30 PM
Here's the deal, this link WAS for the "extended demo" download.

It has apparently been changed to the full game.

Meaning if you had downloaded "Fable II Episode I" at some point, you now have the full game in your history.

Are you speaking from first hand knowledge, or hearsay?

PixyJunket
10-15-10, 04:36 PM
Are you speaking from first hand knowledge, or hearsay?Posts on other forums and blogs are coming in fast and furious on this one.

Liver&Onions
10-15-10, 04:38 PM
Posts on other forums and blogs are coming in fast and furious on this one.

Hearsay, gotcha.

Speaking of hearsay - some dude said he was actually charged $19.99 for the download, so - for those who are online, check your credit cards. I just checked mine, nothing yet.

Chew
10-15-10, 04:44 PM
It's coming up as $19.99 for me now.

PixyJunket
10-15-10, 04:50 PM
It's coming up as $19.99 for me now.Hmm, still shows "Free" for me when I loaded it in another browser (thus not logged in to xbox.com).

tlwizard
10-15-10, 04:52 PM
Still listed as free online for me. Got it for my account, however my gf's brother's account (which is on my xbox) is getting an error that he doesn't have the latest dashboard update. I wonder if this is because my profile on that xbox is part of the beta update and his is not (even though his profile can make use of the beta update.)

Groucho
10-15-10, 04:55 PM
It's coming up as $19.99 for me now.Go directly to Pixy's link, rather than searching for it.

mhg83
10-15-10, 04:56 PM
'This content cannot be purchased from Xbox LIVE Web Marketplace because you do not have the latest Xbox LIVE update on your console. Please log into Xbox LIVE with your console before purchasing content from Web Marketplace.'

Not seeing any update on Live. Anyone know what i need to update?

Mok
10-15-10, 05:16 PM
Tweet from Xbox Support XboxSupport

@Snowy1256 Yeah, we just found out that the download is only for Episode I of Fable 2, but have nothing official to say yet. ^LB

Liver&Onions
10-15-10, 05:25 PM
Yup - episode one only is playable. Deletion initiated.

Groucho
10-15-10, 05:27 PM
Yup - episode one only is playable. Deletion initiated.Have you tested this yourself? On other forums, people are reporting that they are able to load end-game saves.

Liver&Onions
10-15-10, 05:31 PM
Have you tested this yourself? On other forums, people are reporting that they are able to load end-game saves.

Nope, based on hearsay as I am at the office.

But when MSFT employees say this (not just the support peeps), then i'll trust them. Plus, I've played and didn't care for the game already, so I don't even know why i bothered in the first place.

Groucho
10-15-10, 05:34 PM
Now it sounds like they redid the way that they did the episodic game -- so it all comes in one download instead of several.

Jeremy517
10-15-10, 06:23 PM
Now it sounds like they redid the way that they did the episodic game -- so it all comes in one download instead of several.

Sounds like that is what they intended to do, but they screwed it up. It is the full version for sure (for now).

Liver&Onions
10-15-10, 06:23 PM
Sounds like that is what they intended to do, but they screwed it up. It is the full version for sure (for now).

Experience or Hearsay?

Jeremy517
10-15-10, 06:24 PM
It has been pulled from the marketplace.

Jeremy517
10-15-10, 06:24 PM
Experience or Hearsay?

After a few dozen verifications, I think it is safe to say it is/was the full game.

They also wouldn't have pulled it from the marketplace if it was what they had intended.

Decker
10-15-10, 06:27 PM
Next Download
FABLE II

Full Game

6.6 GB
Download pending

This item is waiting to be downloaded on your console.

Groucho
10-15-10, 06:27 PM
It has been pulled from the marketplace.I just followed the link in the OP and it still works for me.

(I have no idea why I'm following this considering I beat the game over a year ago)

Jeremy517
10-15-10, 06:28 PM
I just followed the link in the OP and it still works for me.

(I have no idea why I'm following this considering I beat the game over a year ago)

If you try to add it to your queue, it fails. If it is already in your queue or was downloaded already, it is still available to you.

aktick
10-15-10, 06:30 PM
I bought this when it came out...I played it for about 5 hours before forgetting about it, sold it probably a year or so ago, but all I remember is working for a blacksmith hammering the shit out of swords or something. :lol:

But I saw 'free', so I'm d/ling it. :)

Jeremy517
10-15-10, 06:36 PM
The deal forums are kind of silly. Instead of whining about people who call about a deal, they're now whining about people who tweeted support about the deal.

Liver&Onions
10-15-10, 06:38 PM
The deal forums are kind of silly. Instead of whining about people who call about a deal, they're now whining about people who tweeted support about the deal.

That's like people here, wanting to get Rock Band 3 early, then bitching when everyone else gets it earlier.

tlwizard
10-15-10, 07:52 PM
At the very least, it's not the PH version of the game. After downloading, I tried to load my DLC based save and it would not load. However, now that I think about it, I wonder if I could download the free DLC versions and that would load my save. Might try that.

Spiderbite
10-15-10, 09:04 PM
It is definitely the full game. I just tried it and it gave me the continue option. I chose that and it started me right where I had left off (I had finished the game and had done a few things after). I forgot how fat and ugly my guy had gotten. Yuck.

What's sad is I really doubt I will ever play this again. I might one day do it and try to be a completely evil character but usually when I finish a game, I'm done. I rarely go back to old games and play them again.

mhg83
10-15-10, 09:04 PM
There were two expansions available for free as well. Was that part of the glitch too? It did end up in my queue.

Groucho
10-15-10, 09:06 PM
There were always free versions of the DLC that only allowed you to play with somebody who had equipment from those add-ons.

Supermallet
10-15-10, 09:24 PM
Am I the only one who kept Fable II? Why is this such a big deal for everyone who owns the game already?

tlwizard
10-15-10, 10:14 PM
Am I the only one who kept Fable II? Why is this such a big deal for everyone who owns the game already?I still have my copy but free is free and nice is nice.

Decker
10-16-10, 12:43 AM
I sold my copy after I finished the game. Sure enough this is the full game and I was able to restart right from where I left off. Looks like since the last time I played they fixed the feature that kept giving you money every few minutes in real time even when you weren't playing. I was expecting to be a billionaire when I restarted, but sadly I was still stuck at 2 million.

Anyway, it's nice to have this game again and especially on the hard drive and for free. Thank you SO MUCH Pixy for starting this thread and making it clear in the title what was going on. I probably would have missed out otherwise.

Boba Fett
10-16-10, 01:48 AM
Ha, I downloaded the first episode for free and never played it. Just went to the XBOX.com site added the full game to my queue, because it said I had already downloaded it.

I have a strong feeling the glitch is/was due to them switching from selling the game episodically for a while to the now full standalone version and anyone who downloaded the first episode has a "key" for the full version.

PixyJunket
10-18-10, 11:48 AM
Not sure why the thread title was changed, this is the full game.

Anyway, I mostly grabbed this since my girl wanted to pick it up again but I tried to start a game and in the first three minutes a bird shits on your character's head and then you have to fart to pose for a picture.

Yeah. This game is not for me.

bunkaroo
10-18-10, 12:17 PM
Just tried - still showing as not being able to add to cart online. When did you download?

Liver&Onions
10-18-10, 12:19 PM
I went to redownload it from my console queue, and it said "Is this the right credit card?"

Decker
10-18-10, 12:37 PM
Not sure why the thread title was changed, this is the full game.

Anyway, I mostly grabbed this since my girl wanted to pick it up again but I tried to start a game and in the first three minutes a bird shits on your character's head and then you have to fart to pose for a picture.

Yeah. This game is not for me.

Well, if you extend the fart by holding the button down, you can make it more impressive but mis-time it and you shit yourself. Hilarity ensues.

I have a love-hate relationship with this game. It does a lot of things very well, but bungles many others. Glad I sold it. glad to get it back for free.

PixyJunket
10-18-10, 01:06 PM
Well, if you extend the fart by holding the button down, you can make it more impressive but mis-time it and you shit yourself. Hilarity ensues.And am I mistaken but once you get your dog, the first thing that happens is that it digs up a used condom?

-ohbfrank-

I have a love-hate relationship with this game. It does a lot of things very well, but bungles many others.Yeah, I could see that. I remembered Fable being sort of "half an awesome" game, not even counting the awful, immature humor. I may explore the game again at some point to see if this one goes beyond what the first game did for me as it would be hypocritical of me to ignore a game with great gameplay based on its story elements.. but at the time it was a matter of sitting through more fart humor or exiting out and playing Bayonetta (either way, I made the right choice).

fumanstan
10-18-10, 01:08 PM
I don't remember my dog digging up a used condom :(

starman9000
10-24-10, 12:03 AM
So I got in on this right away, but I just checked and my download was stopped at 99%, I left my Xbox on all day and it never finished. Did they do something so I can't get this anymore? (I finally canceled the download thinking I could 'download again' but the option isn't there).

Decker
10-24-10, 01:29 AM
So I got in on this right away, but I just checked and my download was stopped at 99%, I left my Xbox on all day and it never finished. Did they do something so I can't get this anymore? (I finally canceled the download thinking I could 'download again' but the option isn't there).

I checked online and you're right. The download "purchase" I made (for the first free episode) is present in my purchase history, but if you click it, it says Sorry, this item is no longer available. Glad I downloaded when I did. Must remember to not delete it, I guess.

starman9000
10-24-10, 08:37 AM
That sucks, oh well. I have it on disc, so not a big deal. I wonder if it would have eventually finished downloading if I had left it on there? I need to remember to turn on the stupid box when I'm downloading things like that.

Matt
10-24-10, 11:15 AM
I had the same 99% problem trying to download it last night. It hung there for a while (twss) and eventually I got a popup (again) that said "Can't download Fable II". Then I got similar "can't download this" notices for everything else I had behind it in queue. I was able to go back and download those through my download history, but Fable II doesn't show up in my history at all.