Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Wolverine and the X-Men: The Complete Series' (Blu-ray)

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-10, 09:55 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Adam Tyner's DVD review of Wolverine and the X-Men: The Complete Series at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=45004 and...

While this season of X-Men was a good step forward, it still isn't matching the quality of the WB's DC Universe.

I am frustrated that Marvel continues to go to the kiddie level with their characters because they can only contract Nickelodeon (or whatever) to show them.

Hulk vs. Wolverine and Ultimate Avengers were much better - Wolverine doesn't hesitate to chop your arms off! Soldiers don't magically survive catasrophic collisions! And superheroes? They HIT the bad guys! Maybe killed them! (not 'destroy' as in X-Men TAS - that always made me laugh)

The X-Men may have started as teens, but they are most often portrayed these days as young adults (or old war horses).

I don't need amazing gobs of gratuitous violence, but we're depicting people at war here. I can only imagine a version of Saving Private Ryan where the attack on Omaha Beach leaves everyone with torn clothing but no injuries.

Sadly, an episodic series is not something you can sell direct-to-video. I can only hope that one day Marvel realizes it's core audience isn't 8 year olds, and comes out with a series on HBO a la True Blood.
Old 10-13-10, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Re: DVD Talk review of 'Wolverine and the X-Men: The Complete Series' (Blu-ray)

Originally Posted by pete5000
While this season of X-Men was a good step forward, it still isn't matching the quality of the WB's DC Universe.
I agree with that. (I started to put a note like that in the review...that this series didn't grab me the way B:TAS or JLU did...but I had a tough time developing that line of thought the way I wanted, so I snipped it out.)

I have to admit that I don't think Wolverine and the X-Men was particularly watered-down, though. I mean, would I have liked to see Wolverine slash apart some guys with his claws? Absolutely, and that's part of what made his segment in Hulk vs. such a ridiculous amount of fun. I don't think the series would've necessarily been better because of it, though. I mean, I think the storytelling would've been pretty much the same either way, and at least for my money, I feel like the show did a pretty solid job on that end. It's appropriate for younger viewers, but I didn't feel like it was pandering to them at all. It's a lot darker and more intense than I thought it would be, what with it airing on Nicktoons and all.