Old 10-12-10, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Glee -- "Duets" -- 10/12/10

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2010-10-05

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
The glee club works on a duet assignment, and Finn and Rachel plan to throw the competition so that Sam can have a shot at winning. Meanwhile, a love triangle between Mike, Tina and Artie develops.

Reported Song List:

Spoiler:
1) “Don’t Go Breaking My Heart” – Elton John & Kiki Dee (Finn & Rachel)
2) “Happy Days Are Here Again” / “Get Happy” – Judy Garland & Barbra Streisand (Kurt & Rachel)
3) “Lucky” – Jason Mraz & Colbie Caillat (Sam & Quinn)
4) “Le Jazz Hot!” – Victor/Victoria (Kurt)
5) “River Deep, Mountain High” – Ike & Tina Turner (Mercedes & Santana)
6) “Sing” – A Chorus Line (Mike & Tina)

FYI, this episode is scheduled from 8pm to 9:01pm. You may experience a record conflict for your 9pm shows.
Old 10-12-10, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Glee -- "Duets" -- 10/12/10

FYI this episode was directed by actor Eric Stoltz.

Oh and the "fans" of "stuntcasting" will be happy to know that for the November 9 episode
Spoiler:
Gweneth Paltrow will guest star as Will's substitute teacher
Old 10-12-10, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excited to see Quinn perform again.
Old 10-12-10, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best episode in a long, long time. I wasn't necessarily a fan of all of the musical numbers, but this is the first time in a while I've really seen the show focus on plot and developing their characters. So much happened here in the way of moving characters forward and showing them grow that I wasn't even sure I was watching the same show we had seen for the first three episodes and even part of the back nine.

I'm loving the new direction (pun intended) that they're taking Rachel. We're seeing her become less selfish and more focused on the group; something that started in the back nine but was completely abandoned in the first two episodes this season.

I was surprised they actually called Kurt out twice about his behaviour in the past. Finn stood up for himself and tried to stop Kurt from doing the same thing with Sam and Kurt's dad also pointed out how Kurt was less than forthcoming about the details. I definitely give the writers credit for resolving that and having Kurt learn a lesson.

I thought the "Happy Days Are Here Again" performance sounded really good, but was a bit on the boring side. It was definitely funny combining the subject matter of the song with the religious attire. Did they actually do a mash-up of that song with "Get Happy" because I couldn't tell. If so, it would make the performance even funnier.

It's also nice to see the Mike and Tina relationship is strained. I loved the exchange about the Chinese Food. While Mike can't sing, he sure can dance, and I give them credit for using his lack of singing ability in a creative way. I imagine he can sing harmonies and backup vocals decently, but definitely not a lead vocalist. Still, "Sing" was a lot of fun.

My favourite performances of the night were "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" by Rachel & Finn and "Get Happy" by Rachel & Kurt. The former was a lot of fun and had great vocals by both, and the latter had great vocals and was a pretty emotional performance. I think their voices go great together.

Sam has a good voice, but he sure is a dumb character. Not sure I really like the romance developing between him and Quinn, but we'll see where it goes. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being gay though. I know Ryan said they were going to introduce another love interest for Kurt, but maybe they only meant someone for Kurt to be interested in and not the other way around.

I liked the while Brittany realizing she sort of devalues herself by having sex with everyone and Artie actually taking it seriously. Nice to see that sort of contrast. Looks like we'll get some development with Brittany in the future as well. I did love though when Santana stopped some random guy in the cafeteria and him saying he had sex with Brittany.

Last edited by kstublen; 10-12-10 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-12-10, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Am I the only one that thinks Diana Agron just drips sex?
Old 10-12-10, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Santana calling Mercedes "Weezie"
Artie's sweater with the bowling pins.
Brittany S. Pierce "I thought you were a robot" and "The Clintons?" "Me"
Rachel and Finn's duet

I felt really bad for Artie.
I am really liking Sam.
I love this show.
Old 10-12-10, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Now that was a GOOD episode of Glee.
Old 10-12-10, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

That performance of River Deep, Mountain High was amazing. I had forgotten what a great song that was & those two knocked it out of the park. Especially liked the little fringe-shaking nod to Tina Turner that Santana did.
Old 10-12-10, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Loved it. Strong episode from start to finish, a shit load of great performances and some acknowledgment and resolution to past episodes. Just great.
Old 10-12-10, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm shocked nobody has mentioned the lack of Sue in that episode.
Old 10-12-10, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts

That happened last season too. Not that weird.
Old 10-12-10, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Draven
That happened last season too. Not that weird.
What I meant was that the character is rather popular, usually a highlight each week. I just figured someone would have mentioned it by now.
Old 10-12-10, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Artie's "you stole my virginity" speech was hilarious. I felt so sorry for him for being seduced by the wicked schemes of a near retarded slut he barely knew.
Old 10-12-10, 10:43 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie W
That performance of River Deep, Mountain High was amazing. I had forgotten what a great song that was & those two knocked it out of the park. Especially liked the little fringe-shaking nod to Tina Turner that Santana did.
That was fantastic
Old 10-12-10, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought this was one of the better episodes of season 2 so far. I'm getting a little tired of Kurt. I
Old 10-12-10, 11:19 PM

I loved this episode. I thought it was one of the better episodes of season 2. I'm getting a little tired of Kurt though.
Old 10-13-10, 12:14 AM

Agreed, my favorite number on this show in a long time, but I've loved that song for a while no matter who sings it. This was one of my favorite episodes of the show, shocking that Jane Lynch wasn't in it.
Old 10-13-10, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did we really need a make out scene between Brittany and Santana? I like when it was inferred better.
Liking the new guy and another towel scene. Thank you.
Old 10-13-10, 01:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Did we really need a make out scene between Brittany and Santana? I like when it was inferred better.
Liking the new guy and another towel scene. Thank you.
Of course YOU would like it inferred better. Some of us appreciate the "fleshing" out of those details.
Old 10-13-10, 03:39 AM
Banned

Sam and Quinn's performance was amazing. It's like those characters are made for each other. As Santana said "So fricking charming." Mercedes and Santana were ace as well. All around this was a great episode, especially after the mediocre efforts we've gotten so far this season. Even Kurt and Rachel weren't as annoying as they usually are!
Old 10-13-10, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Great episode. I was beginning to think that Glee was turning out to be another Grey's Anatomy.... great half of the first season and because of popularity jump the shark by the end of the first season and never recover.

It was, indeed, very good, but those two were clearly mismatched as a duet. Mercedes has such a powerful voice that Santana was lost in it. She sounded more like a backup singer, not a lead.

Originally Posted by dgmayor
Am I the only one that thinks Diana Agron just drips sex?
Nope... at least until she talks and sounds like she has a head cold.
Old 10-13-10, 07:23 AM
Banned

Btw, What was so offensive about Rachel & Finn's performance? That's a great song. Was it just the fact that they were dressed in priest-wear? Maybe I don't offend easily or just didn't get it, but was that the only reason?
Old 10-13-10, 08:42 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Btw, What was so offensive about Rachel & Finn's performance? That's a great song. Was it just the fact that they were dressed in priest-wear? Maybe I don't offend easily or just didn't get it, but was that the only reason?
I didn't get it either.
Old 10-13-10, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah just have to add that I loved the episode... Only thing I didnt like was Artie whining, but either than that a great return to form.
Old 10-13-10, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I did not love this one - mostly because I thought the songs were boring as hell. I know these kids are 'music geeks' but every week it starts to feel more and more like the music these 'kids' pick are selections made by a 45 year old man. Needed a bit more youth in the choices. The overall story aspects were great but all the musical numbers killed it IMO. However, more Brittany and Santana is always a good thing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.