TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Amazon Pilot Season Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-10, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Amazon Pilot Season Discussion Thread

source

Ridley Scott is going back to the man who gave him one of his greatest movies, Blade Runner. What would the world look like if we'd lost World War II? Scott's Man in the High Castle miniseries will show us.

According to the Guardian Ridley Scott is producing a four-part BBC miniseries based on Philip K Dick's novel The Man in the High Castle. Howard Brenton, the playwright and Spooks writer, is presently adapting the book. Its a pretty complicated story with handful of story lines that follow a variety of characters, so it's perfect miniseries fodder. It should be interesting to see if Scott keeps his miniseries set in the same time period as the book, the 1960s — we feel like he may be tempted to update it to the here and now. But either way, we're really excited to watch the world-building begin on this feature.
Old 10-08-10, 03:56 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: Ridley Scott making The Man in the High Castle as a miniseries

I'd love to see it happen. I agree with the writer that they should set it in an alternate '60s. Too bad it will probably suck like that lame Day of the Triffids the BBC just did. Done right the movie could be incredible. It's a tough nut to crack for any screenwriter. The story is like Watchmen in that it's an alternate timeline structure, but it's story is so intimate, about just a couple of people and their little day to day intrigues, I don't know how you work in all the alternate history without it ending up being really dialogue heavy.
Old 10-08-10, 04:28 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

BBC Miniseries sounds like it should be in TV Talk to me...

That being said, The Man In The High Castle is one of my favorite Dick books. I hope Scott does it justice.
Old 10-08-10, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really want to put a in 88 pt font for this, but I'm going to temper my optimism after watching the AMC version of 'The Prisoner' that was done.
Old 08-29-14, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Amazon Prime: 5 New Comedy Pilots

not sure if there was a thread on this

5 new comedy pilots for viewing on Amazon prime:

By Mike Hale, The New York Times - Aug. 28, 2014

Playing catch-up with Netflix is grueling business. Amazon posted five new online pilots aimed at adults in February and ordered full seasons of four of them in March. Now, before any of those shows have arrived, five more pilots are being posted Thursday on Amazon Instant Video.

Like the February batch, this group consists of two hourlong dramas and three half-hour comedies and involves major names like Whit Stillman, Marc Forster and David Gordon Green. And again, over all, the comedies are better. Perhaps the prestige associated with outlets like HBO, AMC and Netflix still draws better dramatic projects. Here’s a rundown of the latest Amazon pilots, from best to worst.

RED OAKS Set at a suburban New Jersey country club in 1985, Mr. Green’s pilot is not a sendup of 1980s coming-of-age comedies or even a tribute to them, but a surprisingly straightforward extension of the genre. It’s as if the spirits of John Hughes, Harold Ramis and the young Richard Linklater had all gotten together to consult. Craig Roberts stars as David, a college student spending his summer as the assistant tennis pro under the tutelage of the club’s paunchy stud, Nash (a funny Ennis Emmer). Providing some ’80s flavor are Jennifer Grey, as David’s mom; Paul Reiser, as the club’s alpha male; and an abundance of female toplessness.

THE COSMOPOLITANS Mr. Stillman’s first television-length project stars Adam Brody (“The O.C.”) and the newcomer Jordan Rountree as Americans living in Paris whose only discernible occupations are falling in love and crashing high-class parties. It’s Henry James with the nutritional value of a Ladurée macaron: Evanescent or perhaps just wispy, it seems to melt out of your mind as you’re watching it, and it’s hard to imagine that it could be turned into a series. But it’s quite amusing, especially at the beginning, and not as arch as you might expect.

HAND OF GOD Ranking this as the better of the two dramas is a coin flip. Mr. Forster (“World War Z,” “Quantum of Solace”), also going short-form for the first time, directed from a script by Ben Watkins (“Burn Notice”) that’s almost comically overheated. Ron Perlman plays a corrupt judge who goes off the deep end after his son attempts suicide. He starts to believe that God is leading him to the people who drove his son to desperation, and, of course, he may be right. There are also an unsolved rape and a shady construction project involved in this Southern California noir, which recalls the novels of Ross Macdonald but primarily plays like an attempt to pack every cliché of the grim, cable crime drama into one hour.

HYSTERIA The veteran television producer Shaun Cassidy (“Invasion”) is behind this drama that combines the contagion thriller with the Internet paranoia thriller. When girls in Austin, Tex., have unexplained seizures that then spread to the general population, a neurologist (Mena Suvari) working on the case begins to suspect that the affliction is being spread through social media. Yes, that viral video could actually be viral. With references to witch hunts (the opening titles include images of Joseph McCarthy) and earnest dialogue like “What if, because of the way we communicate now, you don’t need to know someone to feel their pain?,” it’s too contrived and on-the-nose to be particularly scary or entertaining.

REALLY Written and directed by and (unfortunately) starring Jay Chandrasekhar, this noncomedy feels like a laboratory experiment: Just how off-putting can a show be and still maintain the semblance of entertainment? To Mr. Chandrasekhar’s credit, you can recognize and acknowledge the truths he presents about the compromises, routines and animosities of 30-something married life — the seriousness of snoring has probably never been presented this baldly in a sitcom — but the glumness and suppressed anger outweigh the realism. When Neil LaBute seems fun in comparison, you’ve got a problem. Sarah Chalke, Selma Blair and Luka Jones do good work playing members of the show’s four entwined suburban Chicago couples.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/28/ar...ref=television
Old 08-29-14, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Re: Amazon Prime: 5 New Comedy Pilots

Correction, it's 2 dramas and 3 comedies.

I might check out Hand of God since Dana Delany is in it. I've missed her since Body of Proof got axed. Hysteria sounds interesting too.
Old 08-29-14, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

REALLY sounds the most interesting to me, despite the negative impression.
Old 08-29-14, 02:20 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Whit Stillman with a TV show... wow.
Old 08-29-14, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Correction, it's 2 dramas and 3 comedies.

I might check out Hand of God since Dana Delany is in it. I've missed her since Body of Proof got axed. Hysteria sounds interesting too.
yep, sorry about that

but I think Cosmos, Red Oaks and Really might all be comedies.

So Far I sampled:

Red Oaks is OK
Cosmopolitans I didnt care for
Old 08-29-14, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Dana Delany
Old 08-29-14, 04:31 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Anyone watched Hysteria ?
Old 08-29-14, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to Red Oaks and Really for some free amazon titty
Old 08-30-14, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Yeah, I quite liked Red Oaks. Everyone loves Caddyshack, so why not have a Caddyshack-inspired sitcom and of course nothing gives an 80s feel like gratuitous female nudity.
Can't imagine they'd keep up that 80s soundtrack though -- that's got to be expensive.
Also to the Mad About You mini-reunion. Wonder if they can bring on John Pankow as well since he clearly isn't being used on Episodes. I thought Reiser was good - and he deserves better than Married.
Old 09-10-14, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
to Red Oaks and Really for some free amazon titty
Some in Hand of God as well, but pretty low ratio by minute.

Really was OK, despite the terrible title (and shouldn't it have a question mark?). I liked Red Oaks a little better, and it was nice to see Paul Reiser.

Talked about Hand of God in the separate thread.
Old 10-03-14, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Amazon confirms today that Hand of God and Red Oaks are coming to series.

I didn't watch the incredibly long Hand of God pilot but I loved Red Oaks and am delighted (but not really surprised) that it's been given the green light!
Old 10-03-14, 12:42 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Red Oaks was the best...glad to see it got picked up.
Old 01-15-15, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Amazon Pilot Season

A bunch of new pilots are up. The Man in the High Castle seems to be getting rave reviews. An Alt-History show based on the Philip K. Dick novel. I think I may check that one out. Anyone watch any of the other ones yet?
Old 01-15-15, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 233 Likes on 137 Posts
Re: Amazon Pilot Season

Just finished watching High Castle. Really well done. The book is a true classic of alternate history and I thought the first episode did a great job starting the story.
Old 01-15-15, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amazon Debuts 13 pilots

Link to Pilots
http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=9940930011

Descriptions and reviews pilots
http://www.avclub.com/review/new-ama...k-dick--213845

ETA:I just saw the Amazon Pilot thread in streaming talk, sorry about that.
Old 01-15-15, 07:27 PM

Re: Amazon Debuts 13 pilots

Digging the man in the high castle by frank spotnitz.. Cool premise..
Old 01-15-15, 07:28 PM

Re: Amazon Pilot Season

Originally Posted by dstrauss
Just finished watching High Castle. Really well done. The book is a true classic of alternate history and I thought the first episode did a great job starting the story.
I'm voting for this one as well.. Would like to see more...
Old 01-15-15, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by writer106
ETA:I just saw the Amazon Pilot thread in streaming talk, sorry about that.
We've previously decided that content of this nature like Netflix series should be in TV Talk, not Streaming Talk, so you were in the clear.
Old 01-15-15, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777
We've previously decided that content of this nature like Netflix series should be in TV Talk, not Streaming Talk, so you were in the clear.
Ok cool.
Old 01-15-15, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
Digging the man in the high castle by frank spotnitz.. Cool premise..
I agree that premise sounds cool. It's based on Philip K. Dick book, I haven't read any of his books, but I've heard good things about him.

I haven't watched any of the pilots yet. I will probably start watching them tomorrow. The premises for Down Dog, Cocked,and Point of Honor also interest me.
Old 01-15-15, 09:02 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts

I'm going to start with "Man in the High Castle" and "Mad Dogs" (I like the casting in that one) this weekend.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.