Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

What is THX?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-00, 03:09 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi

Today I went to a new home theater seller and I was amazed with the sound of a equipment THX certified (I libe in a small town, this it is the first and only seller with exhibit).

But I still dont get it!!! what it is THX? what is the diference between THX and dolby Digital and DTS?.

The answer of the technicians do not satisfy me (they told me it is the same but THX with more pounch sound)so could you help me?

Thanks for all your comments I really apreciate it

PS.- By the way what is a THX certified equipment?

------------------
//// | [email protected]
~OżO~ |
Old 08-31-00, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

www.thx.com

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 08-31-00, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This may answer a few questions:
www.thx.com www.dolby.com/digital/ www.dtsonline.com/

[This message has been edited by jumbojp (edited August 31, 2000).]
Old 08-31-00, 03:41 AM
Cool New Member

Hi

So I know some of the differences between DTS and DD but, after reading THX (www.thx.com) I still do not know what is it (I read something about sounfields).

Can somebody help me an explain me in plain English what is THX? and if this is usefull in a home teather?.

thanks again
PS.- I do know what is the thx certification :-)

------------------
//// | [email protected]
~OżO~ |
Old 08-31-00, 04:21 AM

OK, I'll give it a shot.

THX is a special certification given out by the company THX meaning the movie/DVD/receiver/whatever has achieved a certain standard of sound quality. For example, a movie theatre can ask for the theatre to be 'THX certified'. A technician comes out, confirms the theatre is using THX certified equipment, and that the sound quality within the theatre meets their standards too.

Dolby Digital and DTS are not in competition with THX, rather they work with it. A movie can be presented in DD or DTS without being THX certified or any combination thereof.

Bottom line: It's not a type of sound, but a standard for listening to sound.

How's that?
Old 08-31-00, 12:34 PM
Cool New Member

Hi

Thanks for your answer it was knoweledgeable

Now I Have a better idea

------------------
//// | [email protected]
~OżO~ |
Old 08-31-00, 01:48 PM
jdb

THX is a set of standards that directs the mastering process of a film. It is not a prosess of it's own. ie, DD, dts...

THX applies to BOTH visual and audio.

It was to become the stamp of highest quality. This is no longer the case. And in recent months has actually become a warning sign. Something to stay away from.

Unless you like Edge enhancements, artifacts, and truely ugly coloration and pixilation.

Dont agree? Take a peek @ (dont buy):

Highlander
Platoon
Die hard trilogy (Fox)
T2

It seem quality control took a hoilday, jdb

------------------
Flame suit not required
Peabody Theatre
Old 08-31-00, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by jdb:
THX is a set of standards that directs the mastering process of a film. It is not a prosess of it's own. ie, DD, dts...

THX applies to BOTH visual and audio.

It was to become the stamp of highest quality. This is no longer the case. And in recent months has actually become a warning sign. Something to stay away from.

Unless you like Edge enhancements, artifacts, and truely ugly coloration and pixilation.

Dont agree? Take a peek @ (dont buy):

Highlander
Platoon
Die hard trilogy (Fox)
T2

It seem quality control took a hoilday, jdb

<HR>

I was waiting for the THX bashers to surface. The hardware (which he asked about) and software divisions of THX are two entirely separate beasts. All those titles you mentioned (save T2 WTF?!?!) do have some image problems, but they are from the early days of DVD not in the last couple of months. I guess you have not seen Fight Club, Patton, The Abyss, T2:UE, Alien, Aliens, Alien 3, Alien Resurrection, The Sound of Music, Independence Day, Army of Darkness, Evil Dead 2, Supergirl, and the list goes on and on. Everyone always points out those few titles which were THX licensed from the LD days and are not new anamorphic transfers. Just take a look at the titles I mentioned and you will see some of the best THX presentations available.

J

------------------
Don't be a luddy-duddy! Don't be a mooncalf! Don't be a jabbernowl!
Old 08-31-00, 04:16 PM

Most everyone here nailed it. THX is a type of certification, nothing more.

It doesn't mean that it's not good. It's good to have a company setting high standards on what equipment, sound, visual, seating, so on, so on, should be. However, this does not mean that DVDs or speakers or receivers that do not have a THX certification are bad. It just means they did not feel it prudent to pay THX thousands of dollars to stamp THX on the front of the product when that company already knows they have a sucessful product.

------------------
My Site
Old 09-01-00, 01:11 AM

i watched the ultimate t2 tonight and thought my subwoofer was bad. my subwoofer kept making a popping noise. i have a infinity bu120 i believe. anyway i wanted to check out some subs when i came across this post. after reading about some complaints about thx, i decided to play the beginning of air force one and i didnt hear the popping noise. has anyone else experienced anything like this.