Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Upcoming DisneyNature titles: no lossless audio?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-10, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regarding the upcoming DisneyNature titles (Oceans and Crimson Wing) due out October 19: the WDHV web site currently lists the audio for both BDs as Dolby Digital only (no lossless option).

Does anyone know if this is correct (spotted any reviews yet, or have other sources of info?)
Old 10-02-10, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Upcoming DisneyNature titles: no lossless audio?

The UK disc of Crimson Wing has lossless audio, DTS-HD MA 5.1. I imagine the US version will be the same.
Old 10-02-10, 11:20 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Disney usually doens't slouch and NOT release bluray without lossless audio (I'm sure there's an exception that I'm missing) The soundmix on the import Crimson Wing bluray is so delicate and airy - it at times supercedes the beautiful imagery.
Old 10-02-10, 11:22 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

now where the hell is the longer 104 minute bluray edition of OCEANS from the UK!!!!! I'd assume it'd be 1) the longer cut, since the abbreviated version was only released in the US and Canada, and 2)I'm really curious to know if an alternate narrator was used for the UK theatrical release - I wasn't a fan of Pierce Brosnan's narration.
Old 10-03-10, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
Disney usually doens't slouch and NOT release bluray without lossless audio (I'm sure there's an exception that I'm missing) The soundmix on the import Crimson Wing bluray is so delicate and airy - it at times supercedes the beautiful imagery.
Yep, this is true, which is why the listing struck me as odd. Hopefully it's just a mistake or they'll update it soon. Disney is probably the distributor I own more BDs from than any other (Criterion is creeping up), and I have generally been pleased with the overall quality of the releases I own from them, in both the video and audio departments.
Old 10-04-10, 01:46 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What does it matter wether they do or not ? Not everyone has huge surround sound systems that would take advantage of lossless audio.
Old 10-04-10, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
What does it matter wether they do or not ? Not everyone has huge surround sound systems that would take advantage of lossless audio.
It's a selling point of blu-ray.....the same comments were made regarding 16x9 enhanced DVD's back in the day. Why does it matter, not that many folks have or will own a HDTV to take advantage of it........

-Tim
Old 10-04-10, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Obviously for the people that have the capability of lossless sound. The DTS-HD is really great. Cinematic Orchestra in DTS-HD is what seals the deal on this release.
Old 10-04-10, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by manicsounds
Obviously for the people that have the capability of lossless sound. The DTS-HD is really great. Cinematic Orchestra in DTS-HD is what seals the deal on this release.
Exactly. Not everyone cares, but some of us do. I can play all the lossless codecs and have a 7.1 setup, so the presence of the lossless track is important to me. If I really want a disc, I will buy it without lossless but I don't have too many of those.
Old 10-04-10, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You've got to be kidding me.
Old 10-04-10, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by tdoane78
It's a selling point of blu-ray.....the same comments were made regarding 16x9 enhanced DVD's back in the day. Why does it matter, not that many folks have or will own a HDTV to take advantage of it........

-Tim
This is a good point. I did not own a widescreen TV until last year, but I minimized my purchases of non-enhanced DVDs over a decade of collecting to as few as possible because I knew someday I would have a 16x9 set. Now we have three of them in our house, and I am so glad I did this.

I do not have expensive equipment, just a small surround setup in my basement office but man, once you get one and hear those lossless BD tracks, there is no going back.
Old 10-06-10, 07:12 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

I got both of these today (pretty slip covers!) and they list DTS MA on the back.
Old 10-06-10, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I got both of these today (pretty slip covers!) and they list DTS MA on the back.
Excellent; thank you!