Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Should I turn the 'Sharpness' level on my TV all the way down when watching a DVD???

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Should I turn the 'Sharpness' level on my TV all the way down when watching a DVD???

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-00, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since DVDs are so sharp, is it necessary to have this setting turned up at all on my TV? I know its a matter of personal taste and opinion, but in general, is it needed? Thanks!!!
Old 08-29-00, 11:43 PM
Cool New Member

Generally it is recommended to set the sharpness to minimum when watching *anything*. Get Video Essentials or something similar and cabibrate your TV. You'll be amazed at the difference.

------------------
My DVDs!
Old 08-29-00, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't turn it all the way down! Get Avia (better than Video Essentials, IMHO), and use that to calibrate it. Turning it all the way down could be TOO little!
Old 08-30-00, 12:02 AM

What do you mean, "when watching *anything*"??
Old 08-30-00, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Turning the sharpness very low gives everything including DVD a more natural film like appearance. Once you adjust to it, its the best way to watch TV.
Old 08-30-00, 04:17 AM

Shaun3000:

According to Video Essentials, they recommend that sharpness be turned ALL the way down. I do this for my 50" RPTV and still have plenty of detail with most, well-transferred DVDs. Therefore, I can say with some confidence that anyone using direct-views sets should turn sharpness all the way down.
Old 08-30-00, 06:07 AM

Acccckkkkk, how can you watch such a soft blurry image? I usually set my sharpness to 1/3 and IMO is looked much better.

I suppose it all has to do with personal taste and your tv.
Old 08-30-00, 06:10 AM
uhh, Clem?

I didn't believe that you need to turn sharpness all the way down. Well, I just adjusted my Pioneer 510HD with Avia and the correct setting was...all the way down!

Your set might have less sharpness in the original setting. But it's strange that my set had the exact correct calibrated setting when set all the way down.

I'm enjoying my $9.99 Braveheart correctly calibrated and it's beautiful. The blood is so nice and red!

[This message has been edited by uhh, Clem? (edited August 30, 2000).]
Old 08-31-00, 02:30 AM

Every TV is different, the best thing to do is get Avia or VE and calibrate it! The correct setting isn't always all the way down, which causes excess blurring on my Sony TV. I have mine set about 1/8 of the way up and it is beautiful.
Old 08-31-00, 11:24 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Lush:

According to Video Essentials, they recommend that sharpness be turned ALL the way down. <HR>

Lush that is a serious mis-quote of VE and is taken way out of context. There is one section of VE that recommends that sharpness be turned down for that particular section and that section only. You later calibrate the sharpness for your particular set in a different section.

VE does not blanketly recommend sharpness be turned all the way down. Rather as pointed out above, every set is different. Some will require sharpness all the way down and others could be as high as 50% or more. The only way to properly set this is with a quality calibration tool such as VE or Avia.

If I didn't have one of these, I'd just point sharpness somewhere around 20 to 30%. But again, every set is different.

------------------
Dave
My DVD List