Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

A Simple Noodle Story (Zhang Yimou, "Blood Simple" remake) (9/27/10)

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-10, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.yesasia.com/us/a-simple-n...0-en/info.html

"A Simple Noodle Story", or the title "A Woman, A Gun, and A Noodle Shop", is Zhang Yimou's latest, a remake of the Coen Brothers' 1985 film "Blood Simple".

Sony has the US rights to this, but Edko is releasing the DVD (and VCD, to whoever still gets those...) tomorrow, but unfortunately, not a Blu-Ray it seems... I certainly hope for a BD from Sony, but those intersted, here it is from yesasia.

The film did get nominated for the Golden Bear at the Berlin Festival, and was a huge hit in China.

The US release is this month, in September, so the DVD or BD haven't been announced yet.

EDIT:
Oh man, didnt read the fine print enough. This release DOESNT include English options. Only Chinese. Same goes for the Thai release, Thai subs only. I guess besides Mandarin speakers, we'll have to wait....

Old 09-26-10, 08:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: A Simple Noodle Story (Zhang Yimou, "Blood Simple" remake) (9/27/10)

From the director of "House of Flying Daggers" and "Hero" - it's amazing how they make use of his lesser works to advertise this newer one.
Old 09-27-10, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CritterYawn
From the director of "House of Flying Daggers" and "Hero" - it's amazing how they make use of his lesser works to advertise this newer one.
unfortunatly most americans prob wouldn't recoignize his other movies really when you think about it
Old 09-27-10, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

That's a given, Hero made well over $50m domestically which is huge for a subbed flick. His second highest grossing movie was Flying Daggers ($11m), followed by Golden Flower ($6m), Red Lantern barely registered at $2m, though that was in '92.
Old 09-27-10, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well they could always say "From the director of the 2008 opening ceromony of the summer olympics" lol
Old 09-28-10, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Well they could always say "From the director of the 2008 opening ceromony of the summer olympics" lol
Actually this is so obvious, I'm surprised they haven't thought of it!
Old 09-29-10, 09:31 AM

It's amazing that I even see someone make that claim so easily as if it is some sort of fact. Couldn't disagree more on Hero if it were even possible. It's not only in my opinion the best film Zhang Yimou has ever made, but one of my favorite films of all time.

House of Flying Daggers was crap though apart from its visuals and Ching Siu Tung's action. I might have to revist it, but I thought Curse was pretty forgettable after the first time I saw it.

As a side note, Miramax's release of Hero, like several other Asians they put out under Harvey Weinstein's reign over there, has made up subtitles. Only the non-Miramax releases have legit subs.
Old 09-30-10, 06:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the cinematography in Hero is stunning, hence my dismay with this bad film. The genre is not my favorite, but eventually I managed to watch entirely and ended up liking Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. This wasn't the case with Hero.
I still consider Leni Riefenstahl's Triumph of the Will a better nationalist propaganda material than Hero, and I'm personally nowhere near embracing any extremist ideology.
Old 09-30-10, 08:01 AM

I never bought the whole "Hero is just Communist propaganda" angle ever. Seemed to me a cheap attempt at knocking the film.

For me, Hero is heads and shoulders above Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

It's simply the best film Zhang Yimou has made thus far.
Old 12-07-10, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

US BD and DVD announced by Sony for Feb 1st, with 19 featurettes(!), over 100 minutes of extras. Sounds great, Sony! Just wish their retail price for the Blu-ray was a little lower....