Old 09-26-10, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,704 Likes on 2,662 Posts
Undercover Boss -- The 2nd season thread -- Premieres 09/26/10

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2010-09-26

Synopsis for Choice Hotels International:

Spoiler:
The second season begins with Choice Hotels International president and CEO Stephen Joyce working undercover in his company.

Companies to participate in season 2:

Spoiler:
Frontier Airlines (Bryan Bedford, Chairman of the Board, President and CEO)

Chicago Cubs (Todd Ricketts, Owner)

Lucky Strike Lanes (Steven Foster, Co-Founder and CEO)

Previously announced companies whose bosses are also making the undercover journey this season include:

DIRECTV (Mike White, Chairman, President and CEO)

NASCAR (Steve Phelps, Senior Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer)

Chiquita Brands International, Inc. (Fernando Aguirre, Chairman and CEO)

Great Wolf Resorts, Inc. (Kim Schaefer, CEO)

I gave up on this after 2 or 3 episodes last season because I found it annoyingly phoney. But, it ended up being one of the highest rated shows last spring. I figure some of you might be interested in season 2. So knock yourselves out and bump this sucker up anytime.
Old 09-26-10, 10:09 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Undercover Boss -- The 2nd season thread -- Premieres 09/26/10

Yawn. All fake.
Old 09-26-10, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

Wonder if they'll change up the formula this season? Are they still going to have the one with the hard luck story, the young one, and the one that's capable of a lot more then the job they're in?

It's a decent one off show but any more then that and it just shows how fake it is.
Old 09-26-10, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,109 Likes on 804 Posts

I don't watch this show but I did see the rerun last week with the CEO of Hooters.

I was wondering if any good fans know of any follow up on the people that we see on the show. That manager that treated his staff with so much disrespect [bean eating contest] was just told to straighten up. Does anyone know what happened?
Old 09-26-10, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,704 Likes on 2,662 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
I don't watch this show but I did see the rerun last week with the CEO of Hooters.

I was wondering if any good fans know of any follow up on the people that we see on the show. That manager that treated his staff with so much disrespect [bean eating contest] was just told to straighten up. Does anyone know what happened?
From the 3 that I saw, they did do an update at the end of the episode on what happened to everyone.

Curious to see what kind of ratings this gets, I will be amazed if this does well this season. If the people who are in this show aren't complete morons and turned on their TV sets on Sunday earlier this year, they should have caught on to the concept of the show.
Old 09-26-10, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,109 Likes on 804 Posts

I meant what happens after they've been on TV --for example, looking like an asshole and being accessible to the public.
Old 09-27-10, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
From the 3 that I saw, they did do an update at the end of the episode on what happened to everyone.

Curious to see what kind of ratings this gets, I will be amazed if this does well this season. If the people who are in this show aren't complete morons and turned on their TV sets on Sunday earlier this year, they should have caught on to the concept of the show.
Other than the super bowl episode, the rest of the shows did 16 million or less. Now for a show these days that's a pretty damn successful. But it's still a very small percentage of the country.

In other words, it's not always that hard to find people that have never heard of this show or seen an episode. On top of that, there are so many reality shows that their cover story could very easily be true.

That being said, anytime you put a camera in the open somewhere, you're going to get people doing some sort of performance. Many people are going to try and put their best foot forward, while some people just aren't going to care and go in the other direction. Girls Gone Wild has made an industry out of this fact.

The show has a formula, no doubt about that. And I'm sure there's stuff that ends up on the cutting room floor including employees that don't quite fit the mold of what they want on the show. But this isn't a fly on the wall documentary, it's a reality show.

Still, there can be some humor in watching these execs trying to do a normal job. But the fact that they always seem to find the diamond in the rough in every company can be a little annoying.
Old 09-28-10, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Anyone but me who thought that housekeeping manager was uber-cute?

I had doubts how they could pull off the 2nd season, but pretending it was a competition between 2 persons for the job (the second person obviously wasn't shown) did seem to work.
Old 09-28-10, 01:01 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by sinned
Anyone but me who thought that housekeeping manager was uber-cute?

I had doubts how they could pull off the 2nd season, but pretending it was a competition between 2 persons for the job (the second person obviously wasn't shown) did seem to work.
I was curious how many people voted for the "other contestant."

It amazes me how clueless these CEOs are -- not just about their own companies, but about the fact that the people who do the scut work that keeps their company running are real people with real problems. And then they help the five people they met and go back to ignoring the hundreds of other people who work for them.