Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Please ID this war movie

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Please ID this war movie

Old 09-24-10, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please ID this war movie

I remember seeing this movie for the first & last time back in the mid-80's. An Army/Marine instructor is teaching a new group of recruits, getting them ready for a specific mission. Doesn't really narrow it down, I know.

The only scene / sequence that I can recall is when the trainees go out into a jungle/forest as a group, and then separate to look for the instructor (who apparently is spec ops/Ranger/SEAL/etc.). I remember the instructor ambushing each trainee separately, and he hangs a sign around each of their necks saying "Dead" or "Captured" or something along those lines.

In one particular ambush, the instructor reaches down out of a tree when a trainee is walking under, the instructor immediately hangs a sign around his neck, and pats him on the helmet/cover. The scene then shows him coming back to camp where the rest of the squad is sitting with signs around their necks.

If it helps any, the instructor was wearing either woodland or tiger stripe BDUs, had full black & green face camo, and also covered hands with black. May have also been wearing a boonie hat.

Some movies I've ruled out:
Heartbreak Ridge
Dirty Dozen
Old 09-24-10, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts
Re: Please ID this war movie

Sounds like a scene from Uncommon Valor. It's been a long time since I've seen it, so I may be wrong.
Old 09-24-10, 11:02 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

the movie you are looking for is First Blood...except, instead of signs, he bludgeons them with various traps he makes from the woods itself. and instead of trainees, they are cops. and instead of an instructor, he is a burnt out war vet. and instead of walking back to camp, they slowly bleed out in a pool of their own feces and urine.
Old 09-24-10, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Terms of Endearment
Old 09-24-10, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mandirigma
I remember seeing this movie for the first & last time back in the mid-80's. An Army/Marine instructor is teaching a new group of recruits, getting them ready for a specific mission. Doesn't really narrow it down, I know.

The only scene / sequence that I can recall is when the trainees go out into a jungle/forest as a group, and then separate to look for the instructor (who apparently is spec ops/Ranger/SEAL/etc.). I remember the instructor ambushing each trainee separately, and he hangs a sign around each of their necks saying "Dead" or "Captured" or something along those lines.

In one particular ambush, the instructor reaches down out of a tree when a trainee is walking under, the instructor immediately hangs a sign around his neck, and pats him on the helmet/cover. The scene then shows him coming back to camp where the rest of the squad is sitting with signs around their necks.

If it helps any, the instructor was wearing either woodland or tiger stripe BDUs, had full black & green face camo, and also covered hands with black. May have also been wearing a boonie hat.

Some movies I've ruled out:
Heartbreak Ridge
Dirty Dozen

Sounds like Uncommon Valor?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086508/
Old 09-24-10, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The thing that clinched it is your description of the dead tag..I believe the trainer went around and put the dead tags around the guys as they were sleeping.
Old 09-24-10, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like one of Richard Marcinko's books
Old 09-24-10, 11:26 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Ghosts of Mars
Old 09-24-10, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know what it is, but I've definitely seen it.
Old 09-24-10, 11:58 AM

It's Uncommon Valor, Fred Ward was the special forces dude they had to try and get by:

Old 09-24-10, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

OH YEAH!! I remember that movie. The stupid animated #8 character ruined the movie though. I hate when they insist on shoving in cutesy sidekicks.
Old 09-24-10, 01:01 PM

Holy crap that was awesome. Thanks! I've been trying all this morning to find a screenshot of that movie since it was mentioned, but all I kept getting was the stupid cover of the DVD / VHS.

Freakin outstanding gentlemen.