Old 09-23-10, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Nikita -- "Kill Jill" -- 09/23/10

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2010-09-03

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Nikita is hurt while rescuing a journalist who is trying to reveal Division's link to a large plane crash. Meanwhile, Michael and Percy zero in on Birkhoff as Nikita's mole and have Amanda interrogate him.

Digging Nikita so far, but it's going to get slaughtered in this timeslot against some major powerhouses. Not that it was ever going to be competitive.
Old 09-23-10, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Nikita -- "Kill Jill" -- 09/23/10

I wasn't impressed with the pilot, but I've liked the last two episodes including tonight's, so I'll stick with the show.
Old 09-24-10, 02:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maggie didn't look as good tonight as she did in the first two but I'm still sticking with this show.
Old 09-24-10, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think she has the charisma to carry a show. It's kinda like Eliza Dushku and Dollhouse.
Old 09-24-10, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pretty good ep.. I would like to see some more locations on the show.. Little too much of the training room and ops center being both of them are just sort of concrete walls with some blue highlights here and there..

but over all a solid ep and I think Maggie can carry the show charisma wise. After all they are sort of playing her character as the more silent bad ass Vs wise cracking super spy. The problem is that Alias was just so good that it's hard not to compare spy vs spy and locations etc and that's not really fair to the Nikita show..
Old 09-24-10, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DeadLamb
pretty good ep.. I would like to see some more locations on the show.. Little too much of the training room and ops center being both of them are just sort of concrete walls with some blue highlights here and there..
I would too, but they film in Canada and it takes place in NYC and I'm counting on the fact that the budget is probably minuscule.

I was zoning in and out of this episode (not good?) but the ending brought me back in even though it was yet another meeting between Michael and Nikita. Are they really going to make him out to be such a loser? I do like that they aren't making Nikita invincible.

They also keep using excellent songs towards the end of each episode. Sia in the second and Jonsi in this one.

Last edited by conscience; 09-24-10 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-24-10, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

During the confrontation with Michael of the week I kept thinking of how much better it would have been to have cast someone a little older as Michael. Or maybe it's just the actor. Either way, the guy just doesn't project the authority of someone in command and it undercuts his character. Particularly I don't get that he is a veteran who is fully indoctrinated and torn by his loyalty to/fear of The Company.
Old 09-24-10, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the show has been really good so far - Maggie Q makes a great lead. I love the "parallel Nikitas" plot line.
Old 09-24-10, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm watching, but I'm not terribly excited by the show. It's not as cheesy as I initially feared, and there's some potential here, but it fares poorly against its older La Femme Nikita TV counterpart w/Peta Wilson and Roy Dupuis. Some aspects have been changed, such as the character of Alex, but she frankly seems to have been tacked on purely to hit the CW's sweet spot demographically.

And let's be honest, Shane West has been horribly miscast and it was obvious starting with the pilot. He simply doesn't have the gravitas to portray a character like Michael. He doesn't evoke charm and underlying menace. He doesn't command respect. He comes off weak. It also doesn't help that he and Maggie Q have seemingly no chemistry together.

I'd say Melinda Clarke's turn playing the sociopathic Amanda/Madeline, albeit with limited screen time thus far, has been one of the more enjoyable parts of this particular remake.

As for this episode, spilling Red Bull manages to foil Division? Recruits aren't allowed to have MP3 players because they contain a hard drive, but one can chitchat via the internet in an unsupervised computer lab to their hearts content? I'd like to be enjoying this more, but the show just seems devoid of any real drama or angst. It comes off as all attitude and shallow posturing in lieu of an actual show.
Old 09-24-10, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Agreed w/ the Shane West sentiments - he has been the weak link in the cast from the moment the pilot started.
Old 09-25-10, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

I really like the show but Maggie Q does absolutely nothing for me. I just wish they had done a better job casting the show.
Old 09-25-10, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Another pretty good episode.

They do a good job incorporating a story/mission of the week that has some ties to the overall arc which is Nikita trying to take down Division. I said this before, but I like how Nikita has a really dry sense of humor.

The mission of the week was interesting. I liked the reporter and how that drug running CEO had ties to Division and used them to cover up the crash. The funny thing is the guy who played the CEO is also the recurring villain on Terriers. That actor has been getting alot of work lately.

If there is any weakness, it's definitely Shane West. He just doesn't have the look and gravitas to the the head of the assault teams after Nikita. Xander Berkley on the other hand is perfect as Percy.
Old 09-25-10, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Timber
I really like the show but Maggie Q does absolutely nothing for me. I just wish they had done a better job casting the show.
Have you seen any of Maggie Q's previous work? Like MI:3, Live Free or Die Hard or even some of her Hong Kong action movies? She is a solid action star IMO and I think she was a very credible choice for this show, especially with her martial arts training as well. Plus, I give them props for casting an Asian American as the lead of a U.S. TV series.
Old 09-25-10, 11:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Timber
They did a great job casting the show.
Old 09-27-10, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm liking the show so far. The action stuff is pretty good. This and Boardwalk Empire may be the only new shows that I'll tune into every week.
Old 09-27-10, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by meritocracy
And let's be honest, Shane West has been horribly miscast and it was obvious starting with the pilot. He simply doesn't have the gravitas to portray a character like Michael. He doesn't evoke charm and underlying menace. He doesn't command respect. He comes off weak. It also doesn't help that he and Maggie Q have seemingly no chemistry together.
Careful, you'll make Shane West cry.