Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Wolfman

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-10, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Wolfman

How do I search for a thread on this film?

I just saw it and it was magnificent. First 5* horror film I have seen in many years.
Old 09-21-10, 08:01 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: The Wolfman

1. Which Wolfman film?
2. There's a search bar at the top...in the middle. or...for EXACT results use the one below the headlines...which is below the standard search bar. It's the one that says "search", click on it, do advanced search.
Old 09-21-10, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm assuming he's talking about the Del Toro version...

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...ws-thread.html
Old 09-22-10, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I was referring to the DelToro/Hopkins/Blunt film.
I just read most of the thread that was linked, and I'm surprised in a way and not so surprised in another. I thought it was the best "horror" film in decades.
The beautiful cinematography, the atmosphere, the old school feel made it for me. Reminded me of a Hammer production on steroids (that's good). Although if it was Hammer they would have used Blunt to more visually stunning and erotic overtures.
The only thing I didn't like was the cgi (laughable). The Elfman score was excellent and I didn't find anything wrong with the acting as so many of you did.
I guess it boils down to the age of the viewer; meaning my kids group (18-34) would likely not like this too much. They were raised with altogether different film experiences growing up and their expectations are wholly different than someone raised on Universal, Hammer and AI. I find very few "new" horror films with quality production, much less on the level of The Wolfman.
Is there a horror movie area on this forum?

Last edited by TeleCaster; 09-22-10 at 08:24 AM. Reason: changes
Old 09-22-10, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by TeleCaster
Yes, I was referring to the DelToro/Hopkins/Blunt film.
I just read most of the thread that was linked, and I'm surprised in a way and not so surprised in another. I thought it was the best "horror" film in decades.
The beautiful cinematography, the atmosphere, the old school feel made it for me. Reminded me of a Hammer production on steroids (that's good). Although if it was Hammer they would have used Blunt to more visually stunning and erotic overtures.
The only thing I didn't like was the cgi (laughable). The Elfman score was excellent and I didn't find anything wrong with the acting as so many of you did.
I guess it boils down to the age of the viewer; meaning my kids group (18-34) would likely not like this too much. They were raised with altogether different film experiences growing up and their expectations are wholly different than someone raised on Universal, Hammer and AI. I find very few "new" horror films with quality production, much less on the level of The Wolfman.
Is there a horror movie area on this forum?
First, welcome to the forum! To answer your question, there are no separate groups (horror, sci-fi, etc). Like you, I loved "The Wolfman". I didn't even mind the CGI. I can't understand why so many people hated it. They didn't even use it that much.
Old 09-22-10, 10:22 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Descent is the best horror film I've seen that's more recent. I've yet to see The Wolfman besides chunks of moments when I'm w/ my friends. Set design and look of the film is amazing. I just didn't feel it from the story and actors at times.
Old 10-03-10, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Just watched this film for the third time (one time in the theater, twice on BD), and it just keeps getting better with each viewing. It could end up being one of my "favorite" movies of the year. Not one of the best films. Side note, I've suggested this title to my parents and aunts/uncles and they all loved it. Saying it felt like the classic Universal monster movies. With more violence of course for younger audiences.
Old 10-03-10, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, I really enjoyed watching the extended version and I don't see how the theatrical cut could be any better with scenes missing.