Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Help me think of a/tell me about the best: International T.V. Shows

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 09-20-10, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kind of two questions here:

1) I was recommended a t.v. show recently that sounded very good and up my alley. I believe it may be Italian, and I believe it may have to do with gangs and/or gangsters. I am almost certain it is a contemporary show, in its first or second season. Is that enough?

2) What other international shows should I know about? My favorite international shows have been British comedies: I really like Red Dwarf, Fawlty Towers, Black Adder. Father Ted and Dr. Who are pretty good. I haven't watched many t.v. shows from other places of the world. I'm looking to knock down the classics (e.g. Fawlty Towers) before finding those "hidden treasures." (If it helps, favorite domestic shows have been The Wire, Simpsons, Seinfeld, Mad Men. As far as miniseries, I love Band of Brothers. I'm also ok with sci-fi.)

Thanks for any recommendations.

Last edited by cgray; 09-20-10 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-20-10, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: Help me think of a/tell me about the best: International T.V. Shows

TRICK (Japan) - 3 series, 2 specials and 3 Theatrical movies.

It's about Yamada Naoka (Nakama Yukie), a technically adept stage magician who teams up (reluctantly, most of the time) with Physics Prof. Ueda Jiro (Abe Hiroshi) to investigate seemingly supernatural mysteries. Both are misfits. Yamada is a professional failure always desperate for food and cash. Ueda is freakishly large, by Japanese standards, and a scaredy cat (though he can open a can of whupass when he wants too).

It's played mostly for laughs, but can get quite dark. Worth a look if you're looking for something different.

Last edited by coyoteblue; 09-20-10 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-21-10, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cgray, I'd bet if Pro-B were still around here then he'd be able to answer your first question...I know there was a miniseries from a couple of years ago - IL CAPO DEI CAPI - that covered mafia territory...but that might not fit what you described exactly...and I don't think it has seen an English-friendly release so far. There are a couple more but they are more focused I believe on the police side of things - SQUADRA ANTIMAFIA - being the newest, and also an Italian take on CSI (the title of the Italian version escapes me at this moment)...again I don't recall any English-friendly DVDs (though I haven't checked recently).

As to your second request, maybe try the U.K. version of LIFE ON MARS (if you haven't already seen it).
Old 09-21-10, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Help me think of a/tell me about the best: International T.V. Shows

Here are some previous threads on British comedies:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/internation...out-there.html

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/internation...on-thread.html