Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

S-Video vs. Component cables

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

S-Video vs. Component cables

Old 08-23-00, 02:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How noticeable is the difference between S-Video connections vs. Component Video output? How much are S-Video vs. Component video cables?

Will the clarity of the video be noticeable on a regular analog 4:3 TV? I hear that one needs an HDTV to see the full effects of the clarity of DVD.
Old 08-23-00, 03:16 AM

I have seen a BIG improvement from composite to S-video but I have heard that the improvement from S-video to component isn't as dramatic. I have never actually seen a comparison though.
Old 08-23-00, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

From what I understand, the difference between S-video and component video can really only be noticed on larger size displays...rear projections at least 50" for example. I did ask a hifi salesman how much improvement I would see by upgrading my s-video to component on my 32 inch set and he said maybe about 5% better picture...not sure if it's worth the investment.
Old 08-23-00, 01:18 PM

Well, S-video does get rid of those annoying rainbow colors on objects like stripes and grids.

other than that, the picture looks the same.
Old 08-23-00, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The difference between S-Video and component varies w/ equipment. On my TV (34inch HDTV) the improvement was very noticable, not dramatic, but definately better than S-Video.

Using the component input will allow your TV to display finer color gradations than S-Video. I suggest you try it; if you don't see a noticable improvement you can return the cables.

Regarding cost, component cables are typically more expensive than S-Video. I'm using an inexpensive set of Monster Cables for which I paid about $50.
Old 08-25-00, 05:29 AM

Are component video cables just regular RCA cables? Do I need to buy like special cables in order to use component video?
Old 08-25-00, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You can use "regular" audio cables, but you will most likely see greater improvement if you use cables designed for video. I recommend buying cables made for component video.

BTW: I've tried both approaches and did see a difference. YMMV
Old 08-25-00, 01:08 PM
Banned

Here's an example:

I have a brand new Panasonic 27" using componet output.

My brother has a 6-8 year old Sony 27" and had to get one of those converters from Radio Shack. The tv has NO s-video or componet.

Both, have excellent pictures. The 2 systems are in 2 different rooms. But, it's not like I come out of his room and into mine and say "damn, my picture is soooo much clearer". I'm sure if side by side and playing the same dvd, mine would be clearer, but I must say both look flawless! I'm also not all up on the screen with a magnifying glass looking for any flaws

I guess it's all up to how picky the individual is. I will say I can tell the difference when he has a vhs tape rolling
no vhs here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jonathan

------------------
Less than 5 bucks a disc, check out the list!
Old 08-25-00, 02:08 PM

On my system the differnce between the two is quite dramatic, but I also have a front projector shooting on a 115" screen.
Old 08-25-00, 02:49 PM

I just bought a converter for $20.

It converts regular component video on your tv into S-video from your DVD player. I got rid of those pesky gridline rainbow problems and I get a much clearer image! I recommend anyone who does not have a TV with s-video to get one of these.

Try your local Radio Shack!
Old 08-25-00, 03:16 PM

Are cables made especially for video expensive? Where can I go to pick up a set of these?
Old 08-25-00, 03:45 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jar Jar Fett:
It converts regular component video on your tv into S-video from your DVD player.<HR>

Why in the world would you want to convert component video into S-video?
Old 08-25-00, 03:56 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by koobird:
Why in the world would you want to convert component video into S-video?<HR>

I think he meant to say "composite".

------------------
-Michael
My List
Old 08-25-00, 06:18 PM

yes, I did mean ot say "composite" sorry for the slip up!
Old 08-26-00, 05:32 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
quote:<HR>Originally posted by tricky:
Are cables made especially for video expensive? Where can I go to pick up a set of these?<HR>

Even plain rca cables will work, so just pick up a set of the gold ones at Radio Shack. I just got a 3 pack of 6ft gold audio video cables for 19.99 to go with my new Wega. They have straight gold plugs on one end and L shaped plugs on the other. That should help you find them.

------------------
Josh Hinkle
My DVD's
My CD's

[This message has been edited by joshhinkle (edited August 26, 2000).]
Old 08-26-00, 03:29 PM

Could someone please explain the s-video to composite converter mentioned in an earlier post? I want to go to Radio Shack to get one, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for.
Old 08-27-00, 04:25 AM
Banned

It's a little black box. My brother has one. Never looked at it close, but it's black and Radio Shack have them. There's only one and it's like $20! Sorry, I have no details.

Jonathan

------------------
Less than 5 bucks a disc, check out the list!
Old 08-28-00, 01:14 AM

Just went to my local Radio Shack to look for this converter and they had no idea what I was talking about....I can't find it in the 2000 catalog OR at their web site. Anyone have the part number?

[This message has been edited by Stangman68 (edited August 27, 2000).]
Old 08-29-00, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by audrey:
You can use "regular" audio cables, but you will most likely see greater improvement if you use cables designed for video. I recommend buying cables made for component video.

BTW: I've tried both approaches and did see a difference. YMMV
<HR>

I recommend buying Radio Shack `Gold Standard` dubbing cables. A set of 12 foot cables will only set you back about $15. These are rated at 75 ohm, which is what you need. You won`t see any difference whatsoever in picture quality between these and the more expensive Monster cables.

As for the differences in S Video and component, I find component video to be ideal for DVDs on my RPTV due to the fact that the letterbox bars are such a dark black with component video that they just disappear when you are watching a letterboxed movie. S Video almost seems to have some type of `film` over the surface of the picture in comparison.
Old 08-29-00, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Xytraguptorh:
I recommend buying Radio Shack `Gold Standard` dubbing cables. A set of 12 foot cables will only set you back about $15. These are rated at 75 ohm, which is what you need. You won`t see any difference whatsoever in picture quality between these and the more expensive Monster cables.<HR>

I haven't tried the specific cables you mention. But since they are rated at 75ohm they are most likley intended for video, since audio cables generally have a much higher impedance.

For my test, I used "regular," generic RCA interconnect, the kind manufacturers package with TV's, DVD players, etc. The Monster video cables were noticeably superior. As noted, YMMV.

[This message has been edited by audrey (edited August 29, 2000).]