Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Lord of the Rings single film releases - Audio question

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-10, 07:58 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm totally lazy and didn't merge this with the big thread related to the Trilogy (and if a mod get's upset he can merge them)... anyhow, what's up with the audio? The review of 'Fellowship' notes that it includes the 6.1 soundmix that Mi Casa did for the home video release - is this really true??? We all know that the audio on the Trilogy release claimed to be 6.1 when in fact it wasn't - well.... did Warner's really just do what the review imply - correct this omission and redo the audio for the single film editions - that would just anger me to no avail - what's the story here?
Old 09-19-10, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Lord of the Rings single film releases - Audio question

Originally Posted by Giles
I'm totally lazy and didn't merge this with the big thread related to the Trilogy (and if a mod get's upset he can merge them)... anyhow, what's up with the audio? The review of 'Fellowship' notes that it includes the 6.1 soundmix that Mi Casa did for the home video release - is this really true??? We all know that the audio on the Trilogy release claimed to be 6.1 when in fact it wasn't - well.... did Warner's really just do what the review imply - correct this omission and redo the audio for the single film editions - that would just anger me to no avail - what's the story here?
Wait a second, the Trilogy set is not 6.1? Where did you read this? I haven't checked it out myself yet.
Old 09-20-10, 09:47 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Lord of the Rings single film releases - Audio question

well actually the Trlogy IS 6.1, don't worry the audio is the same on both the Trilogy AND individual releases - the problem is that the bluray are not flagged correctly - the reason being that some receivers have to be set to ES/EX decode, my Yamaha can not decode it on 'Auto mode' - I have to change the setting. Some online reviewers have been incorrectly stating the discs are not in 6.1, but because one has to do some manual tinkering to actually hear the discs as such, the assumption that the bluray don't have the matrixed rear center channel of sound is actually wrong. So sorry for conveying wrong info with this thread.

the problem though is the for some reason because the DVD features discrete 6 channels of sound, the rear center is far more pronounced and aggressive than the bluray's sound.

Last edited by Giles; 09-20-10 at 01:57 PM.