Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Sym-Bionic Titan - Genndy Tartakovksy’s new Animated series

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-10, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sym-Bionic Titan - Genndy Tartakovksy’s new Animated series

Cartoon brainiac Genndy Tartakovsky revitalized American animation with anime-inspired knockouts like Samurai Jack and Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Now he's crashing mecha convention with Sym-Bionic Titan, premiering at 8 p.m. Friday on Cartoon Network.

"For whatever reason, I have always loved the idea of kids driving giant robots," the Russian-born but American-bred Tartakovksy told Wired.com in a wide-ranging e-mail interview. "Anime always seemed to execute action better than American animation. So when I developed Samurai Jack, I wanted great action but through our point-of-view, and everything followed after that."

Tartakovksy's Sym-Bionic Titan is another masterful hybrid of international animation styles and substances that, like his acclaimed former series, appeals broadly across demographics. Its sci-fi story of three aliens — plucky princess Ilana, her soldier protector Lance and their level-headed cyborg Octus — hiding out in Illinois from space mutants sounds like child's play. But once they attract intergalactic assassins to Earth, Sym-Bionic Titan instantly transforms into an adult-oriented intergalactic smackdown that levels everything from skyscrapers to military battalions in its action-packed path.
http://www.wired.com/underwire/2010/09/symbionic-titan/

Huge fan of Tartakovsky so I'm really looking forward to this.
Old 09-17-10, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Sym-Bionic Titan - Genndy Tartakovksy’s new Animated series

I really don't know much about it, but it's Genndy so my Season Pass is set.
Old 09-17-10, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,803 Likes on 1,126 Posts

Looks interesting. I love the Titan's design.
Old 09-18-10, 05:41 AM
Li

So did anyone catch this or watch it online if the missed it like I did? I was actually very impressed. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this show.
Old 09-18-10, 12:54 PM

This was really good. A great intro episode and set-up. I love the character and robot designs!
Old 09-18-10, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I enjoyed the 1st ep as well.
Old 09-18-10, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thought it was excellent. Definitely made you want to see more.
Old 03-26-11, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't understand why CN keeps dicking around with this shows time slot. They moved it to Wednesdays and now its on Saturday morning. Its a shame becasue this week's episode was amazing.
Old 03-26-11, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
I don't understand why CN keeps dicking around with this shows time slot. They moved it to Wednesdays and now its on Saturday morning. Its a shame becasue this week's episode was amazing.
Boy, I agree. This show is fantastic. My DVR is programmed to record it. I am sorry more people aren't watching this.
Old 03-26-11, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

CN does that with everything. Its impossible to watch anything on CN without a dvr or other means.
Old 03-27-11, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rumors are now going the move to Sat is because the show is done after it finishes this season. The reason: No toys are being made, no interest to continue.

Supposedly Tartovsky isn't even working at CN anymore he's at one of the movie studios.
Old 03-27-11, 01:40 PM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow
Rumors are now going the move to Sat is because the show is done after it finishes this season. The reason: No toys are being made, no interest to continue.

Supposedly Tartovsky isn't even working at CN anymore he's at one of the movie studios.
Yeah, CN canceled it... actually, it was known a few months ago that it wasn't going to get a pick-up. People cite the lack of toy deals for the cancelation but that's an easy scape goat... true, it helps to have the backing of a toy co. like Mattel or Hasbro to help fund production (they literally will help pay production costs, not just make toys) but S-BT had an insanely expensive overseas animation budget (in relation to other half hour budgets) and an equally insane time-frame to get it done in. It boils down to money and the lack thereof, i.e., no co-production cost sharing and the overseas studios inability to financially keep up with the epic scope of Genndy's vision.

Genndy's in development at Sony Pictures Animation right now where he'll be able to play with the big boy toys.
Old 03-27-11, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And after this week's episode, there's going to be a internet riot from fans about the show not coming back after what occurred.

I hope they actually make an ending.
Old 03-27-11, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hal9000
Yeah, CN canceled it... actually, it was known a few months ago that it wasn't going to get a pick-up. People cite the lack of toy deals for the cancelation but that's an easy scape goat... true, it helps to have the backing of a toy co. like Mattel or Hasbro to help fund production (they literally will help pay production costs, not just make toys) but S-BT had an insanely expensive overseas animation budget (in relation to other half hour budgets) and an equally insane time-frame to get it done in. It boils down to money and the lack thereof, i.e., no co-production cost sharing and the overseas studios inability to financially keep up with the epic scope of Genndy's vision.

Genndy's in development at Sony Pictures Animation right now where he'll be able to play with the big boy toys.
Goddamnit that sucks. Were the ratings good? Becasue for my money Titans blows away every show on CN's Friday "action block" with the possible exception of Young Justice.
Old 03-27-11, 08:49 PM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
Goddamnit that sucks. Were the ratings good? Becasue for my money Titans blows away every show on CN's Friday "action block" with the possible exception of Young Justice.
It pulled decent (fairly typical) weekly ratings but they weren't massive enough numbers to outweigh the cost and time needed to produce each episode. Genndy was definitely pushing the limits of the overseas studios... CG elements rendered to look like 2D isn't something done fast... or cheap.

Early on (around the third episode) of the season the overseas studios ran into severe deadline issues... they weren't going to be able to deliver on time. Keep in mind S-BT already had locked air dates and if you miss an air date you're screwed. So, CN executives and producers went overseas to meet with the studios to see if there was a work around... basically it came down to time and money. They needed more time and more money, neither of which CN wanted to have to provide.

It's never bodes well for a show when it runs into trouble that early into production, it becomes a never ending domino effect... it was Oct/Nov of 2009 when word started circulate that this show was a very long shot for getting a pick up for a second season. When production in Burbank wrapped on Season 1 most of the crew was laid off. Typically if a show has good buzz of getting another season the studios (CN) will try their best to "hold" artists until the pick up happens... this time though, if the artist found another job at another studio CN didn't put up a fight... not good. Tron (in production at Disney) was the recipient of a few key S-BT artists because of this.

It's sad when shows like S-BT get canned, they are truly works of animation art in a sea of mediocre shit.