Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classics - good quality?

Shinobi
09-17-10, 12:39 PM
Does anyone here own any of the Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classics (http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?store=BARGAIN&WRD=barnes+noble+leatherbound+classics&box=barnes%20noble%20&pos=-1)? I'm interested in knowing more about the print quality and durability of these large books.

There's a sale going on where if you buy two you get a third for free, and I'm thinking about buying the Jules Verne and Narnia Leatherbound collections (and maybe getting the Sherlock Holmes volume for free).

Kerborus
07-28-11, 10:45 AM
I own all of these. I'm surprised to see from your post that they have been out for a year or so, as I thought they were relatively new. I started with H.P. Lovecraft, something I have always wanted to read and then picked up Ray Bradbury and it snowballed from there...

My question was whether they were going to continue releasing these or not. It looks like they are, as a new Neil Gaiman version is on their website. I wish they would promote these better.

To answer your question, I love the quality of the books, though som report the gold leaf on the edges of the pages diminish with use. As they set vertically, spine out, I don't see the issue with that...

Buttmunker
07-28-11, 01:42 PM
I have the Chronicles of Narnia, and I find it a beautiful volume. Excellent details on the cover.

Mhepburn20
07-28-11, 05:24 PM
They are akin to the Franklin Library collections, a step down from Easton Press but still nice. Also be a bit weary of some of the translated volumes as they don't always use the best translations (the Dante volume for instance puts the entire Divine Comedy in prose).

Mhepburn20
07-28-11, 05:27 PM
Scratch that - checked my shelves - Divine Comedy is fine - it's the Iliad volume they put in prose.

Shinobi
07-29-11, 11:54 AM
I have purchased a few of these B&N Leatherbound books since I made that original post last year. I have the Narnia, Arabian Nights, Hitchhiker's Guide, Jules Verne, Dickens, and Poe collections. They are all quite nice. The paper is rather thin, and the text is usually small, but not uncomfortably so. Overall I'm happy with the quality of these editions, and I'll probably buy a few more.

Kerborus
07-31-11, 02:00 PM
It seems they went on sale and now have been relegated to the vertical stands instead of their own section. I started collecting these when they were buy 1 get 1 half off. Now they are back at full strength.I wonder how many new volumes they will produce?