Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Is it just me, or is online shopping starting to suck?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-10, 03:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been shopping online for at least 8 years now, and I've noticed things going more and more down the shitter. Amazon, NewEgg, DeepDiscount, it doesn't matter. They all suck now.

DeepDiscount's order system still can't accurately determine the status of your order or what's really in stock before you order. The push slow ass media mail shipping, and refuse to offer affordable real shipping. It doesn't cost 7 bucks to send a single DVD/BD first class, idiots.

Then there was NewEgg. Once an amazing place to deal with. Then some warehouses starting packing shitty, particularly the TN one. Plus, they started with that eco-friendly paper shit instead of packing pellets. Then they quit offering affordable real shipping on everything. It used to be cheap FedEx 3-day/saver. Then it was UPS 3-day. Used to be able to get a game shipped UPS 3-day for what, $3? Now it's this Eggsaver shit. Last I heard, it was total garbage. They were using DHL, UPS Mail Innovations, FedEx Smartpost, or whatever 3rd rate service.

Now Amazon. The giant eshop for everything, that's apparently stopped giving a shit if the customers actually get their items or not. If they cared, they'd quit forcing those shitty no-name carriers like A1, Lasership, Prestige, etc who constantly lose/steal packages, never show up on time, and lie about it. Even when you shell out the $80/year for Amazon Prime you get boned. I turned off my auto-renew. To hell with it. I was going to fake a PO Box to at least force USPS all the time, but they won't ship a simple Xbox game to a PO box. What kind of silly shit is that?

I tried Walmart.com too. 97 cent shipping for DVDs. Ok, cool. Nope. UPS Mail Innovations. First Class mail is really THAT much more!? well, piss on them too. I give up.

So what's left? Best Buy? I hate them as a company without trying their shipping recently. I also hate paying sales tax. Is this the end of good shipping and good online shopping?
Old 09-16-10, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 377 Likes on 236 Posts
Re: Is it just me, or is online shopping starting to suck?

No problems here.

Seriously, any experience I receive currently seems to be on par with the service I've always gotten.
Old 09-16-10, 05:51 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

All of the delivery services go up in price every year. Online retailers can cancel free shipping programs or raise the shipping across the board, but then people would bitch about that. So to try and keep shipping affordable they use all of these different delivery services with mixed results. Mail Innovations is just UPS until it hits your local town, then it is given to the post office to deliver. I have never had a package lost, though some have been very late. But I am getting good prices, don't pay sales tax, and most of the time don't pay shipping so I can't really complain.
Old 09-16-10, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RonG617
All of the delivery services go up in price every year. Online retailers can cancel free shipping programs or raise the shipping across the board, but then people would bitch about that. So to try and keep shipping affordable they use all of these different delivery services with mixed results. Mail Innovations is just UPS until it hits your local town, then it is given to the post office to deliver. I have never had a package lost, though some have been very late. But I am getting good prices, don't pay sales tax, and most of the time don't pay shipping so I can't really complain.
Mail Innovations is a separate company under UPS. MI packages do no move with UPS packages. It can take 7-14 days for delivery

UPS Basic packages do move with normal UPS packages but are given to local USPS for deliver on the next USPS business day. So Basic packages take normal UPS delivery times plus 1 day for delivery.
Old 09-16-10, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I haven't had any issues, although i've pretty much only used Amazon the last 2 years, with NewEgg here and there. I can definitely see the "cheapening" of shipping services in general, but I haven't had any problems as a result of them as an Amazon Prime user.
Old 09-16-10, 07:18 PM
Banned

I never liked shopping online. Call me old fashioned, but I always preferred to shop in a store not through my computer. Of course, I won't think twice before ordering something online if I'm truly getting a deal.

Shipping costs are a big reason for why I dislike ordering online.
Old 09-16-10, 07:44 PM
Banned

Ok, so explain this one. When I placed an order for Ghostbusters on Xbox360 earlier, Amazon bitched about the shipping address being a PO Box (my fake PO Box address). Worked fine for DVDs, but they bitched about sending something else the same exact size and media type? So I hit the regular address and chose 2-day to see what would happen this time. They shipped it USPS! First it says it can't ship a game to a PO Box, then they send it USPS anyway. I don't get it.
Old 09-16-10, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i love amazon.
Old 09-17-10, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

It would be great if Amazon would start packaging things properly so they didn't arrive at my house with the shit beat out of them because they tossed a $100+ item into a giant empty box and let it get knocked around or crushed in transit. And then ship the replacement the exact same way so I have to keep requesting replacements until I receive one in satisfactory condition.
Old 09-17-10, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have rarely had a problem with amazon.com and the rare problem I have they are happy to help me out with it and make it right.
Old 09-17-10, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Yeah Amazon sucks now that they've degenerated into using cut-rate couriers in a lot of metro areas.

Haven't used DD in a while - never liked their service.

Didn't know NewEgg was having problems now - that's distressing. I've done all my PC builds with them. It's been about 2 years though. Sad.
Old 09-17-10, 11:26 AM

I'll say FedEx SmartPost (borders.com) is beyond awful. It took 6 days for my package to go from NJ to upstate NY (3 hours). And it went from NJ to MA to NY for some inexplicable reason.
Old 09-17-10, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Yeah Amazon sucks now that they've degenerated into using cut-rate couriers in a lot of metro areas.
I get at least two packages from Amazon a week and yes they most certainly suck these days. Nothing is ever delivered on time anymore. And now, my stuff is getting delivered to the wrong houses (or lost). And if there are any Amazon CSR's in the U.S., please let me know.
Old 09-17-10, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
I get at least two packages from Amazon a week and yes they most certainly suck these days. Nothing is ever delivered on time anymore. And now, my stuff is getting delivered to the wrong houses (or lost). And if there are any Amazon CSR's in the U.S., please let me know.
It's always been easy to get another shipment out if what I ordered hasn't arrived on time.
Old 09-17-10, 04:40 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

No problems with Amazon here. Everything comes on time and is well packaged. I am a prime customer, so maybe that has something to do with it.
Old 09-18-10, 07:27 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

No problems with any company here, still ordering all the time from multiple retailers.
Old 09-18-10, 02:20 PM

Oddly enough I never have any shipping issues with either Amazon or Newegg. Then again I typically spend the few dollars to get the better shipping option with Newegg thru UPS unless if by whatever reason my item has free UPS shipping which happened not too long ago for me when I ordered a external hard drive enclosure.
Old 09-18-10, 04:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bunkaroo

Haven't used DD in a while - never liked their service.

Didn't know NewEgg was having problems now - that's distressing. I've done all my PC builds with them. It's been about 2 years though. Sad.

METRO? I live out in the country with the goddamn amish, and I'm subjected to that shit!

I also bit on one of DD's Labor Day deals and I'm still waiting for my goddamn order. Direct Action and War Inc on Blu-ray. Hardly top selling items. Took a week and a half to ship and still haven't arrived because of that media mail shit. This isn't xmas time yet. It's not black friday, and it's not the damn 25% off sale. It should NOT take a week and a half to ship 2 movies.
Old 09-18-10, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
No problems with Amazon here. Everything comes on time and is well packaged. I am a prime customer, so maybe that has something to do with it.
I think it has more to do with which Amazon warehouse ships to you.

During my Amazon Prime trials, they still sent me stuff in shit packaging. A few things were well-packaged, but most of it was toss it in a box and hope for the best.
Old 09-19-10, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

I wish Amazon would follow their Marketplace rules by shipping everything within 48 business hours. I will order two or three orders with free shipping and sometimes they ship them right away and then sometimes they sit on the order for 4-5 days.
Old 09-19-10, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Viper187
Last I heard, it was total garbage. They were using DHL, UPS Mail Innovations, FedEx Smartpost, or whatever 3rd rate service.
kind of off topic but sort of related- I always wondered why is everyone always so down on DHL? I've ordered stuff from England recently and it literally came here in a day and it was way cheaper than other services. I've had nothing but problems with fedex and UPS recently with pictures I've bought but none with DHL.
Old 09-19-10, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Havent noticed any of this. Still get fast 3day UPS from newegg for 3.99 or 1.99. Usually arrives in a day anyway. Stuff from Amazon always comes within two days by UPS.
Old 09-20-10, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I use Amazon, and I always pick the free shipping option. Stuff always seems to come packaged pretty securely for me. No complaints here.
Old 09-20-10, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had exactly zero problems with Amazon recently, other than poor packaging decisions at time. There have been several occasions on which the item probably should have been damaged in transit due to careless packaging, but I got lucky and it didn't. I think I've only had one return for packaging in the past few years.
Old 09-20-10, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
I wish Amazon would follow their Marketplace rules by shipping everything within 48 business hours. I will order two or three orders with free shipping and sometimes they ship them right away and then sometimes they sit on the order for 4-5 days.
That's the "price" you pay for free shipping.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.