Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Tourist (2010, d: Donnersmarck, s: Depp, Jolie)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-15-10, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

From the director of The Lives of Others.

The Tourist
Director: Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck
Starring: Angelina Jolie, Johnny Depp
Synopsis: Revolves around Frank, an American tourist visiting Italy to mend a broken heart. Elise is an extraordinary woman who deliberately crosses his path.

Written (originally) by Julian Fellowes, who wrote The Young Victoria and Gosford Park. But it seems to have passed a few hands, including the writer of The Day After Tomorrow and the writer of the terribly written Persons Unknown tv series (though he also wrote Usual Suspects).

<object width="576" height="324"><param name="movie" value="http://d.yimg.com/nl/movies/site/player.swf"></param><param name="flashVars" value="vid=21912067&"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed width="576" height="324" allowFullScreen="true" src="http://d.yimg.com/nl/movies/site/player.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" flashvars="vid=21912067&"></embed></object>
Old 09-15-10, 03:29 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Re: The Tourist (2010, d: Donnersmarck, s: Depp, Jolie)

Yeah, 4 credited writers isn't really a good thing. I was hoping this was a movie adaptation of the Olen Steinhauer novel of the same name.

This looks like it might be alright, although the trailer didn't do much for me.
Old 09-15-10, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And my boredom with Depp has just grown yet again. This just looks all kinds of awful.
Old 09-15-10, 04:30 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

.....that looks like standard generic crap. At least the rest of the stuff Depp has done has a interesting thing about it....this...doesn't.
Old 09-15-10, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a remake of a French film from a few years ago - ANTHONY ZIMMER. From what I recall of that movie, it was glossy, nicely-lensed, Hollywood-style, Hitchcock-lite...enjoyable enough but not especially noteworthy in any way...see it and forget it fluff.

The ANTHONY ZIMMER DVD I have is from Australia (Region 4)...I don't recall any other English-friendly versions (there was a Hong Kong version but it was in a cropped aspect ratio).
Old 09-15-10, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought Stephen Berkoff had died?

Count me out on this one. Seems a little remniscent of about a half-dozen other films this year, from that trailer at least.
Old 09-15-10, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks good to me, plus Jolie looks great
Old 09-15-10, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 284 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by maingon
looks good to me, plus Jolie looks great
She sure does. And man, does Depp look like hell in this. Bloated, weathered and more unkept than usual.
Old 09-15-10, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This movie looks awful. It looks like it was just thrown together. It doesn't even look like a movie - from the trailer, it looks like they are just filming Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie in costumes in exotic places. Here's Depp and Jolie in Italy. Now here's Depp and Jolie in France.

Hard to believe that this is coming from the director of The Lives of Others. I hope it's better than the trailer.
Old 09-15-10, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed. Looks very generic.
Old 10-16-10, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Terribly boring trailer to what looks like a terribly boring film.
Old 12-10-10, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What happens when you pair up 2 big box office draws, Johnny Depp and Angeline Jolie, on the big screen, toss in Florian Henckel von Donnersmarch, the director who directed "The Lives of Others" (a Best Oscar winner for Foreign Film in 2006), and include a European backdrop? Well, it might have been a winning effort, except "The Tourist" is on slow simmer for all of its running time, and never ever hinted at reaching a boiling point. It's simply an unmitigated bore of a film.

The characters exists to prop up the premise that Elise (Jolie's character) is being followed by Scotland Yard's finest (Paul Bettany, and Timothy Dalton plays his superior) in an effort to track down an international criminal, Alexander Pierce, in order to recover a hefty sum of stolen funds. Elise's lover is the thief in question, and she is summoned by Pierce, and tasked with throwing the scent off of law enforcement by boarding a train and picking a random stranger to play the part of Pierce as a precursor for a long awaited reunion. That random stranger is Frank, played by Johnny Depp. Throw in a European mobster and his crew also on the look out for Pierce to recover money stolen from them as well, the film tries to produce some tension for Pierce's welfare by having 2 sets of pursuers after him.

von Donnersmarck is more interested in lighting up Jolie for the big screen, rather than creating interesting and entertaining characters for this story, so Jolie looks great, but has little to do, and can't really sustain much interest for her character's predicament. Johnny Depp also is given little to do, and the whole film just ends up being a harmless, boring movie that feels like 2 big stars hanging out and making a film throttled down in 2nd gear for most of it while on vacation in Venice and other European locales, but never really doing much to elevate an uninspiring story, and their phoned-in performances stall the film's energy level. Couple that with boring camera work from the director, the film is a wasted casting opportunity.

I give it 1.75 stars, or a grade of C-.
Old 12-17-10, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw it last night and really enjoyed it. Maybe I'm a simpleton, but if so, please don't confirm it. I like to think I have good taste in movies and am a smart-ish guy.

In all seriousness, it reminded me of a throwback to a Cary Grant-esque intrigue-type movie. Lots of fun and didn't take itself too seriously. Sure, there were some parts that were a bit hokey, but overall, still had a great time watching it. Johnny Depp was a bit fun, and had some genuine funny moments. Jolie did have little to do, but looked awfully good doing it, although I felt she had a few moments to raise a smile or two.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.
Old 04-21-11, 12:52 PM

Watched this last night. It was a fairly "ho hum". Not a terrible waste of 90 minutes, but very forgettable.
Old 04-21-11, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts

Without seeing it I can guess that

Spoiler:
That Depps character is actually Alexander Pierce and just pretending to be someone else
Old 04-21-11, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Without seeing it I can guess that

Spoiler:
That Depps character is actually Alexander Pierce and just pretending to be someone else
Your guess is wrong.
Old 04-21-11, 01:46 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I watched it last weekend and really enjoyed it. Like others have said it's very Hitch-lite (very reminiscent of Stanley Donen's Charade and Arabesque) and it is the kind of film that no one really makes any more. Glamorous stars in gorgeous locations, light intrigue where the stakes and threat level is never too high to ruin the "fun", great character actors mixed in who get to chew the scenery a bit. Ex-Bond Dalton was perfectly cast.

If you like To Catch a Thief, Charade, and Roger Moore bond movies you'll like this.
Old 04-21-11, 02:22 PM
FuQ

Saw this a couple of months ago. Not horrible, not great...just good and forgettable. I did love the last lines spoken in this film. I saw the ending coming a mile away but if you check your brain, you'll enjoy it.
Old 04-23-11, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone care to throw a spoiler up for the ending, as I have no interest in ever watching this.

Thanks!
Old 04-23-11, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Anyone care to throw a spoiler up for the ending, as I have no interest in ever watching this.

Thanks!
Spoiler:
The guy that was supposed to be the 'mark' tourist the for the whole movie (Depp), was actually the criminal the entire time
Old 04-23-11, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Saw this recently and it was mildly entertaining. I guess you could say it's one of those movies that isn't really good but isn't actively bad, either.

But yeah, it's easy to see the ending coming from about a mile away.
Old 04-24-11, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Spoiler:
The guy that was supposed to be the 'mark' tourist the for the whole movie (Depp), was actually the criminal the entire time
Isnt' that what I guessed? If not that is what I meant.
Old 04-24-11, 09:32 PM

I assumed the same thing from the first trailers, thus never watched the movie. Guess I was correct
Old 05-19-11, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Watched this on BD last night.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 05-19-11, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

How was Steven Berkoff's performance?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.