Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Does my PC have the right card to play Mafia 2?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-10, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the new Mafia 2 disc, downloaded it, and it does not display correctly on my screen. Has bright pinks, purples, and whatnot. I was told that my emachines video card is no good for it. It is a "Mobile Intel(r) 4 Series Express Chipset Family". I don't know anything about pc games as this is my first. I tried downloading it directly from the Steam website to no avail. I was also told that this laptop does not support a video card. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 09-14-10, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
Re: Does my PC have the right card to play Mafia 2?

I thought we established in the other two threads that it does not.
Old 09-14-10, 02:50 PM

sorry, I didn't see the first thread I posted on. Plus i didn't say what kind of video card I had until now & didn't know it was not compatible until I tried it agian. so you can't buy a video card for a laptop then? if not, then I wasted $38 for nothing.
Old 09-14-10, 02:51 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why start a new thread instead of continuing the one you already started?

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-...-2-issues.html

I already told you in your other thread that an Intel chip is an integrated card and not a real graphics card. Sorry but you are not going to be playing any modern games on it.

As for upgrading the laptop and putting a real graphics card in it, look in the instruction manual or contact emachines and ask them. Some laptops can be upgraded, but the vast majority cannot be. Laptops are tightly compact machines and adding new things to them usually isn't an option.

if not, then I wasted $38 for nothing.
Well you know there is this little thing called research where you ask around and make sure your computer is capable of running the game BEFORE buying it... or at a minimum download the free demo and see if it runs...

You really have no one to blame but yourself.
Old 09-14-10, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you can't upgrade the video in an emachine laptop. The only solution is to buy a laptop with compatible video.
Old 09-14-10, 03:08 PM

wow, thanks kgrogers for your lashing. I feel like a 5yr. old. you really put me in my place. As I said, I am new to gaming & figuered that any game would play on my laptop. guess not. no one to blame but myself. lesson learned.

FYI: i couldn't find my old thread. sorry again.
Old 09-14-10, 03:25 PM
Banned

Sorry. I didn't mean to be so brutal, but your other thread isn't even off the first page yet. Ctrl+F and type Mafia in the search bar and you find it instantly.

If any old computer was capable of playing any game, then there would be a lot more PC gamers out there and people wouldn't need to upgrade their hardware every few years.

And sorry for being so blunt, but if you don't know what you are doing then researching it before buying is just common sense.
Old 09-16-10, 12:14 PM

point taken Kgrogers. And thank you for your advice. I know it's only common sense, but sometimes I lack that. lol.

NOTE: Just downloaded the demo from Steam & it DOES play on my comp. Actually, I think that was just on the page, it didn't actually download anything.

Last edited by Giallofan; 09-16-10 at 12:20 PM.
Old 09-16-10, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts

If the demo plays, the game would play as well. What happened when you downloaded the game off of Steam?
Old 09-16-10, 12:25 PM

I think it was actually not a demo. nothing downloaded, it just played parts of the game. I found another place where it'll download & it'll take about 45min. to do. I pretty much already confirmed though that I don't have the correct game card in my piece of crapola laptop for this game. It's an Intel.
Old 09-16-10, 03:54 PM
Banned

If you don't mind playing older games, then you might want to give the original Mafia a try. It came out in 2002 and can probably be played on an integrated card, but I won't promise that. I would again try the demo to make sure it runs first. The original game can be found on Steam as well.

The original Mafia was a brilliant game on PC. (It was eventually ported to the PS2 and Xbox but the console hardware couldn't handle it very well.) Mafia was sadly overshadowed by GTA3 which came out a few months before it, which is a shame because Mafia was a much better game in my opinion.