Reload this Page >

At the Movies is Back!

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

At the Movies is Back!

Old 09-10-10, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
At the Movies is Back!

Roger Ebert is relaunching the show on PBS...

http://www.movieline.com/2010/09/rog...the-movies.php
Old 09-10-10, 04:49 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: At the Movies is Back!

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...ry-2011-a.html
Old 09-10-10, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I must admit that I miss it. It's been a fixture since my dad and I watched it at an age I can't even recall and Siskel and Ebert were not nationally known, but that weird guy with the fuzzy hair and freaky 'stache was the big time reviewer on The Today Show (is he dead?).

Still, I resisted liking Roeper for a long, but eventually got to like him and he's basically gone now. Then they messed with the format with the two Ben clowns and, even though I didn't like anything about it, I still watched most of the time.

But these last two guys might not have had a lot of charisma, but I really thought they did a really good job and had some of the same chemistry as Siskel and Ebert did, without some of the insults those two used to toss out at each other, which we'll never seen again anyway.

I don't know the two new people, but I just wish the other two (Phillips and Scott) were coming back as well.
Old 09-10-10, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I like Phillips and Scott, too. I think they were just getting comfortable when the show got axed. I think Christy Lemire used to write for DVDTalk.

Edit: I might be thinking of somebody else.

Last edited by Quatermass; 09-10-10 at 09:26 PM.
Old 09-10-10, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, but it's a TV SHOW... belongs in TV TALK doncha think?
Old 09-10-10, 11:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Yeah, but it's a TV SHOW... belongs in TV TALK doncha think?
Yes, you are right. I think the other thread should be moved here and merged with this one.
Old 09-11-10, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I watched the "preview" video on the Sun-Times site, and there seems to be some good chemistry between Lemire and Mitchell, and they do seem more passionate about their opinions than Phillips and Scott (well, at least more than Scott). And while I realize this was not the finished product, I LOVED seeing the balcony back!

But, the downside for me is that I don't need to hear Lemire and Morgan preaching about how "derogatory" it is to refer to a film as a chick flick. To that I say, "grow a thicker skin". There are stereotypes about both sexes and their taste in movies. And, I'll be honest. When Mitchell extolled the virtues of scatological humor, I was more than a bit surprised, and not in a good way.

Still, I think the good FAR outweighs the bad for me, so I'll be there every week, as long as my local PBS affiliate decides to carry the show.
Old 09-11-10, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

LOL Unbelievable. Good to hear though. I hope my PBS station carries it.
Old 09-11-10, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This should be mandatory at PBS stations, with some of the costs to carry it to all the PBS stations picked up by the parent station. If they don't carry it here in Kansas City I am going to harass them constantly until they put it on the air. This is going to be a ratings winner, I am sure. And hopefully in HD!
Old 09-11-10, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
I must admit that I miss it. It's been a fixture since my dad and I watched it at an age I can't even recall and Siskel and Ebert were not nationally known, but that weird guy with the fuzzy hair and freaky 'stache was the big time reviewer on The Today Show (is he dead?).

Still, I resisted liking Roeper for a long, but eventually got to like him and he's basically gone now. Then they messed with the format with the two Ben clowns and, even though I didn't like anything about it, I still watched most of the time.

But these last two guys might not have had a lot of charisma, but I really thought they did a really good job and had some of the same chemistry as Siskel and Ebert did, without some of the insults those two used to toss out at each other, which we'll never seen again anyway.

I don't know the two new people, but I just wish the other two (Phillips and Scott) were coming back as well.

Gene Shalit....still alive!
Old 09-11-10, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

I really grew to like Phillips and Scott (after the Ben & Ben debacle...video pick of the week, go online and read about the new Twilight movie coming out in a few months), but I'll give this one a chance. It's nice that it's back though. Everyone knows about the big movies, and I like to see reviews of those as well, but that's information available in other sources. This show in all it's permutations helps me find smaller movies that I might not have ever heard of otherwise.
Old 12-15-10, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

New news...

Critical decision near for Eberts’ movie show
Former New York Times movie critic Elvis Mitchell has been dropped as a critic on the new “Roger Ebert Presents At the Movies,” set to debut Jan. 21. The program will be shown on more than 190 public television stations and on the Armed Forces Network, according to Ebert.

Armed Forces Network reaches an audience of nearly 1 million members of the military and their families in scores of countries.

When producers Roger Ebert and wife Chaz Ebert announced the new program in September, Mitchell was paired with Associated Press movie critic Christy Lemire, who is still with the movie review show. But since that announcement, there had been growing concern about whether Mitchell was the right person for the job. One source who had seen the pilot shot earlier this year with Lemire and Mitchell said it showed little on-air chemistry between the two.

The Eberts are now under pressure to find the right person by Jan. 1 for the show to debut on schedule. One dark horse candidate believed to be under consideration is a young male in his mid-20s with little or no experience as a movie critic or as a TV talent. Another possible option, sources said, would involve a pairing of Lemire with another critic described as a female version of tart-tongued former “American Idol” judge Simon Cowell.

Ultimately, the Eberts will have the final say on the second of the two sparring critics on their new movie review show review. “This will be an enormous decision with enormous consequences,” said one source.
I don't like the idea at all of hiring a mid-20-something with no experience at all. But I also don't like the idea of two females. I'd prefer a male and a female, assuming each could hold their own.

Christy Lemire: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/critic/christy-lemire/

Elvis Mitchell: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/critic/elvis-mitchell/

EDIT: I just realized Elvis Mitchell is the critic in a newspaper I regularly used to read. I always thought he was HORRIBLE. His critiques were almost always negative and when he liked a movie, it was never anything anyone would actually see. Glad to see his rear was canned.

Last edited by JuryDuty; 12-15-10 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-16-10, 08:19 AM

Can Roger even talk? After they removed a part of his jaw to remove the cancer I thought he couldn't.
Old 12-16-10, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by aynrandgirl
Can Roger even talk? After they removed a part of his jaw to remove the cancer I thought he couldn't.
No he can't. He has a program on his computer that does the talking for him. A company in England made it for him using audio files from old episodes of Siskel and Ebert/At the Movies.
Old 12-16-10, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
No he can't. He has a program on his computer that does the talking for him. A company in England made it for him using audio files from old episodes of Siskel and Ebert/At the Movies.
Actually, they only used the handful of DVD commentaries he recorded. They wanted to use the TV footage, but they couldn't- there was always music or cross-talking.
Old 12-16-10, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Actually, they only used the handful of DVD commentaries he recorded. They wanted to use the TV footage, but they couldn't- there was always music or cross-talking.
Actually they used both. There was still some usable audio from episodes of At the Movies, etc.
Old 12-16-10, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
I don't like the idea at all of hiring a mid-20-something with no experience at all.
This would be a disaster. I understand the desire to find someone telegenic, but the show would have no credibilty without established critics. It took along time for Richard Roeper to earn his credibility. I don't understand why Michael Phillips and AO Scott arent being considered (or maybe they already opted out?).

I do fear a potential worst case scenario: Kathy Lee Gifford's son Cody is in this age group and he wants to be a film critic.
Old 12-17-10, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One dark horse candidate believed to be under consideration is a young male in his mid-20s with little or no experience as a movie critic or as a TV talent.
Isn't that what blogs are for?
Old 12-17-10, 08:35 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
I had no idea. That sounds pretty amazing.
Old 12-17-10, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by Damfino
This would be a disaster. I understand the desire to find someone telegenic, but the show would have no credibilty without established critics. It took along time for Richard Roeper to earn his credibility. I don't understand why Michael Phillips and AO Scott arent being considered (or maybe they already opted out?).
I agree with all of this. Dump Lemire, too. What little I saw of her was not impressive. Please do not bring on some glib whippersnapper. That was clearly a disastrous decision with that Lyons schmuck.
Old 12-17-10, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I vote for Ben and Ben to be brought back! Ratings GOLD, Jerry!

But seriously what...did Ebert burn his bridges with AO Scott, Michael Phillips and Richard Roeper where neither of them could be the lead critic? Or vice versa? Were any of them ever in consideration?
Old 12-18-10, 02:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Damfino

I do fear a potential worst case scenario: Kathy Lee Gifford's son Cody is in this age group and he wants to be a film critic.
Credibility with the average movie goer is more important than some liberal in sweater & sport coat telling me to go see a Woody Allen movie instead of the new SAW movie.
Old 12-18-10, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmm... I really hope they don't go the route of getting an unestablished 20 something critic. Although I have enough faith in Ebert that if he did that, he would pick someone who was actually worthy of the spot and not another Ben Lyons.

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I had no idea. That sounds pretty amazing.
Yeah, it is.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hMyxgSLESz8?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hMyxgSLESz8?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 12-18-10, 11:47 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

give it back to Richard Roeper and call it a day.
Old 12-18-10, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ebert has been all over twitter this morning denying the "20-something with little experience" rumor.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.