Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Do you have Dreamworks "Chicken Run"? [DVD Rot]

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-10, 12:16 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have Dreamworks "Chicken Run"? [DVD Rot]

I just tried to play Chicken Run for my kids, and the movie got to scene 18 before freezing and going no further. When I looked at the surface, it is perfect, as you would expect it only having been played once about 10 years ago. But when I held it up to the light it looked like an aero bar, with masses of small bubbles in it where the light shone through.

I am thinking about buying another copy - but wondered if anyone else had a problem with this title, or what the extent of the problem is.
I am pretty sure this is Disc rot, as it definitely didnt have the problem when I bought it.

As I have a big collection of movies the majority of which are quite old now I am wondering about the extent of the damage throughout the collection. Nearly all my DVDs were bought around 99-03. Has anyone noticed deterioration of their collection from Disc rot - or is it still rare?

Thanks in advance
Old 09-10-10, 12:37 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Do you have Dreamworks "Chicken Run"? [DVD Rot]

I didn't start buying DVDs until 2000, and still have all those titles... I've never had this problem happen to me.
Old 09-10-10, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Haven't played my copy in years, great flick, I'll have to try to get in a viewing sometime soon.
Old 09-11-10, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't have it, but which version do you have? I know there were a few editions released with slightly different covers. I am just wondering...maybe I should check my Dreamworks titles from that same time period. These types of problems are rarely just one title, but a batch of titles that came from a specific factory.
Old 09-11-10, 08:00 PM
Cool New Member

The version of the movie I have is "Special Edition" widescreen version - number is 86453 - also has a stock number #B6453 - Thanks
Old 09-11-10, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have that edition. It was the first dvd released for CR. I bought it when it was first released. We watched it a week ago and it ran fine. No freezing or skipping. It was the first time in a couple years that we watched it.
Old 09-11-10, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Some early Universal releases had weak glue that allowed exposure of the data layer to the air, especially if the discs were bent trying to get them out of really tough cases. I had their Spartacus release that did this (quit playing a few years ago), but everything else has been fine.
Old 09-12-10, 10:26 AM
Banned

Checked my copy and it seemed fine, thank goodness since my 4 year old will probably soon be into this film!
Old 09-12-10, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by smurr05
Checked my copy and it seemed fine, thank goodness since my 4 year old will probably soon be into this film!
Heh, yeah, I was just thinking it won't be too long before my 3 yo is able to enjoy this too.
Old 09-12-10, 11:33 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks for the replies.

This movie I also got before I had kids, they are now 8,6,4 and I thought they would enjoy it as they had been watching the Wallace and Grommitt and Shaun the Sheep series.

Anyway today I recieved a new copy - actually used copy, and its identical as far as number and release go, but no visible damage or aero-effect to the disk. I shall play it tonight and I am pretty sure we will have no problems with it.

Comparing the two discs I think they are from different pressing plants or pressing sessions as the numberings actually in the disc are totally different and dont even resemble each other.So the first disc could be from a bad batch.

Also on closer inspection on the disc that has the DVD rot there is a noticeable bend in the disc near the central hole like the cases disc holder has been exerting pressure on it. Looking at the case, it is actually a very tight fitting case. So I wonder if this stress on the disc perhaps caused the damage.

I dont really know the cause. I would like to take some photos of the damaged disc and the aero-effect, but I am not sure how to do that as its a reflective surface. Its easily viewable with the naked eye but almost impossible to photograph.
Old 09-14-10, 10:35 AM

I had the same problem with another Dreamworks title, Chris Rock's Bring The Pain. It also developed surface bubbles and became unplayable. Eventually it was replaced. Reminds me, I should check if the replacement is still playable.
Old 09-14-10, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd just blame Mel Gibson. Perhaps you'll get a voice mail rant out of it.