Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies where modern military units go back in time

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-07-10, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

and kick ass.

Watching GI Samurai and need to see more. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 09-07-10, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts
Re: Movies where modern military units go back in time

The Final Countdown
Old 09-07-10, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ That's the one I was about to post

For some bizarre reason when I was younger I used to get it confused with The Philadelphia Experiment.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087910/
Old 09-07-10, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Final Countdown was awesome. I knew it was going to be posted because it is the only one I can think of. It's strange, really, because you would think it would be very popular genre considering it would have all the elements. Time travel, fish out of water/stranger in a strange land, action/war, etc.

One of my favorite series of books was "The Lost Battalion" about a Northern Civil War battalion that gets transported to another world set at about the medieval time period.

Last edited by DeputyDave; 09-07-10 at 09:31 AM.
Old 09-07-10, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Terminator
Old 09-07-10, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by starman9000
The Terminator
No, the question was about modern military units going back in time, not future soldiers coming back to modern times.

I thought briefly of Army of Darkness but Ash wouldn't be considered a "military unit" or even a soldier.
Old 09-07-10, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 211 Posts

TIMECOP (1994) starring Jean-Claude Van Damme opens with a segment where a robber with an Uzi shows up during the Civil War to rob a gold shipment. Not quite what you're looking for, but definitely related.
Old 09-07-10, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Timeline had this as a plot point. The book was better, but not by much.
Old 09-07-10, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven
Timeline had this as a plot point. The book was better, but not by much.
Yeah, I was thinking of that too but they weren't soldiers.
Old 09-07-10, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are tons of science fiction novels along this line -- the subgenre even has a name, "islands in the sea of time".

Axis of Time -- a naval task force from the near-future gets sucked back to World War II. Essentially the Final Coutndown writ large.

1632 -- a coal-mining town in West Virginia is transported to Germany in the middle of the Thirty Years War. There's no military unit per se, but lots of people in the town are ex-soldiers, and their hunting rifles are more advanced than anything around. So they decide to start the American Revolution a century and a half early.

Destroyermen -- A WWII destroyer gets sucked into an alternate Earth that's inhabited by two intelligent species, one descended from dinosaurs and the other lemurs. Oh, and the dinosaurs have a Japanese battleship on their side.

Sadly, none of these have been turned into movies.
Old 09-07-10, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
There are tons of science fiction novels along this line -- the subgenre even has a name, "islands in the sea of time".

Axis of Time -- a naval task force from the near-future gets sucked back to World War II. Essentially the Final Coutndown writ large.

1632 -- a coal-mining town in West Virginia is transported to Germany in the middle of the Thirty Years War. There's no military unit per se, but lots of people in the town are ex-soldiers, and their hunting rifles are more advanced than anything around. So they decide to start the American Revolution a century and a half early.

Destroyermen -- A WWII destroyer gets sucked into an alternate Earth that's inhabited by two intelligent species, one descended from dinosaurs and the other lemurs. Oh, and the dinosaurs have a Japanese battleship on their side.

Sadly, none of these have been turned into movies.
I'll have to check some of those out. Have you read the Lost Regiment series? I HIGHLY recommend them (I earlier mistyped calling them the Lost Battalion)
You know what DVDTalk needs? A book forum.
Old 09-07-10, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
The Final Countdown was awesome. I knew it was going to be posted because it is the only one I can think of. It's strange, really, because you would think it would be very popular genre considering it would have all the elements. Time travel, fish out of water/stranger in a strange land, action/war, etc.
What they did with The Final Countdown pretty much ruined it for all other movies, because they smartly explained by Lasky (way before BttF did) the ramifications about changing history and what would have happened had they engaged the Japanese and prevented Pearl Harbor from being bombed.
Old 09-07-10, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, they punked out. What they should have done is nuked Moscow and the eastern front. At that time that would have destroyed the bulk of both the communist and nazi armies.
Old 09-07-10, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
Yeah, I was thinking of that too but they weren't soldiers.
It's been awhile but weren't one or two of them soldiers?

I second the Destroyermen series. Another fun one is Conquistador by S.M. Stirling. The military opens a portal to an alternate Earth in the 1940s. It's a great book.
Old 09-07-10, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

There's a Twilight Zone episode, "The 7th Is Made Up Of Phantoms". Similiar to Final Countdown. Modern military tank unit ends up back in time at Little Big Horn just in time for Custer's Last Stand.
Old 09-07-10, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

For those that liked Destroyermen and the others, you might want to check out the Axis of Time trilogy by John Birmingham.

Strange there are quite a few books on this, but few movies.

Edit...oops. I notice now it was already mentioned.
Old 09-07-10, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
What they did with The Final Countdown pretty much ruined it for all other movies, because they smartly explained by Lasky (way before BttF did) the ramifications about changing history and what would have happened had they engaged the Japanese and prevented Pearl Harbor from being bombed.
Good point.

Remember also, The Final Countdown is different from BTTF in the fact that the time rift at the end of TFC forces the Carrier to call back it's planes and forget about engaging the enemy en route to Pearl Harbor. Almost like nature is preventing a big change in history from occuring by placing that storm there.

TFC also opens with specific character(s) in the limo, one of which made sure Martin Sheen's character was on board the carrier before the jump back in time. This suggests the same "whatever happen happened" theory that Lost would eventually use. Certain characters always got stuck in the past, and the carrier was always present on that day and did not engage the Japanese fleet.

Wonderful movie btw!
Old 09-07-10, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by rw2516
There's a Twilight Zone episode, "The 7th Is Made Up Of Phantoms". Similiar to Final Countdown. Modern military tank unit ends up back in time at Little Big Horn just in time for Custer's Last Stand.
Loved that episode.
Old 09-07-10, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,094 Likes on 791 Posts

<object width="660" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zhnYPecc1YE?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zhnYPecc1YE?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="405"></embed></object>
Old 09-08-10, 02:04 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by arminius
Yeah, they punked out. What they should have done is nuked Moscow and the eastern front. At that time that would have destroyed the bulk of both the communist and nazi armies.
Yeah, but if they'd done that they would have returned to 1980 and mole people would have enslaved humans and the sky would rain donuts.
Old 09-08-10, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not a movie, it's anime series called Zipang. It's very similar with Final Countdown, but on Japanese side. Zipang at IMDb
Old 09-08-10, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
...1632 -- a coal-mining town in West Virginia is transported to Germany i n the middle of the Thirty Years War. There's no military unit per se, but lots of people in the town are ex-soldiers, and their hunting rifles are more advanced than anything around. So they decide to start the American Revolution a century and a half early.
Sounds interesting, I'll look it up.

Another good book sort of along these lines is Guns of the South by Harry Turtledove. In it, during the US Civil War, the Confederate Army is given trainloads of AK-47s with plenty of ammunition.

As far as the original question goes, Timeline and The Final Countdown were the only two I could think of.
Old 09-08-10, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Two from a few years ago that come to mind...the first is a remake - again from Japan - of G.I. SAMURAI...the second is from South Korea - HEAVEN'S SOLDIERS.
Old 09-09-10, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The G.I. Samurai (1979) remake is called Samurai Commando Mission 1549 (2005).
Old 09-17-10, 12:02 AM

You guys are forgetting one of the greatest military back in time movies ever... beside final countdown obvi

TMNT III!!!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.