Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Thriller - The Complete Series'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-10, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Stuart Galbraith IV's DVD review of Thriller - The Complete Series at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=43938 and...

it's a tough call to say if the episodes have really been remastered because the episodes already looked extremely good on the old laserdisc release. I think they could have looked as good as Twilight Zone if they had not crammed 5 one hour episodes on each disc, but I still think most episodes look great. "Pigeons from Hell" has always been the worst looking episode of the series and many early scenes still don't look good, but it does get better as the episode goes on. I always thought the big scene where you see the brother head covered in blood always looks like someone has brightened the picture to the max so that you can see it a little better. I doubt there was anyway they could have "fixed" this problem. I remember watching this episode on old UHF stations and you could really not see any of the early scenes, it just looked black.

Last edited by Chas Speed; 09-07-10 at 06:45 AM.
Old 09-07-10, 10:36 AM

Re: DVD Talk review of 'Thriller - The Complete Series'

The Sci-Fi Channel did indeed broadcast the series, back in the early 1990s, usually around 3AM three or four mornings per week. ISTR it replaced their "Retro Theatre" slot, which showed Science Fiction Theater, Men into Space and the 1959 ITC Invisible Man series.
Old 09-07-10, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Chris-K
The Sci-Fi Channel did indeed broadcast the series, back in the early 1990s, usually around 3AM three or four mornings per week. ISTR it replaced their "Retro Theatre" slot, which showed Science Fiction Theater, Men into Space and the 1959 ITC Invisible Man series.
I remember they really butchered the hell out of those episodes and they were always big on cutting out the last 5 seconds before the commercial break. That meant a lot of the best footage was missing. The prints they used were pretty good though.

Last edited by Chas Speed; 09-08-10 at 02:15 AM.
Old 09-21-10, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Chas Speed
"Pigeons from Hell" has always been the worst looking episode of the series and many early scenes still don't look good, but it does get better as the episode goes on.
It's been so long since I saw that. I can't remember the quality but it was my favorite episode of the series. Really creeped me out when I was 12 or so. The short story (RE Howard) is excellent too.