DVD Talk
September/October/November General Comic Discussion Thread [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : September/October/November General Comic Discussion Thread

dadaluholla
09-04-10, 09:16 AM
Time for a new quarterly thread, although I'm not sure if we even need to do this anymore, since the last quarter's thread only made it to two pages.

So how's everyone doing? What are your current comic feelings during this end of summer/early fall/back to school season?

davidh777
09-05-10, 12:40 PM
I ran across an old (September) ad for Image United and decided to search to see if it was out on TPB yet. But apparently only two of the six issues have been released so far. -ohbfrank-

The Valeyard
09-05-10, 06:54 PM
Issue 3 came out three weeks ago.

dx23
09-05-10, 07:24 PM
Funny thing is that this Image United series was supposed to be the return of the original Image founders, yet it also brought back all the ego and idiotic stuff that has driven the company down.

davidh777
09-05-10, 11:04 PM
Issue 3 came out three weeks ago.

Ah, thanks--Wikipedia said it wasn't out as of early August.

Funny thing is that this Image United series was supposed to be the return of the original Image founders, yet it also brought back all the ego and idiotic stuff that has driven the company down.

Thanks, Wiki also said it's been panned. So I won't bother with floppies and will look at trade if I get too curious (or if it improves).

TheBang
09-06-10, 09:06 PM
Did anyone genuinely think this would turn out differently?

The Valeyard
09-06-10, 09:11 PM
The first issue was pretty entertaining. It was a blast seeing all the different art styles mesh together. It felt like the early days of Image. Storywise, there's not much going on. Issue 3 reads a lot like Issue 2. Lotta fights with bad guys. No progression. Art work looked rushed. I'm sure the remaining 3 issues will follow the trend.

Whenever those get published.

boredsilly
09-07-10, 10:45 AM
I am LOVING comics right now.

I'm catching up on Locke and Key, and I swear this book is just perfect. It's such a simple concept, but it's executed brilliantly.

Also, I just started reading Gotham Central, which is another one of those no brainer ideas, that took 60 years for DC to do (ok, maybe the climate wasn't ready for this sort of book before the 90s at the earliest). These comics literally sing to me. It's one of those deals where you feel something was put on this earth only for you.

dx23
09-07-10, 01:22 PM
I am LOVING comics right now.

I'm catching up on Locke and Key, and I swear this book is just perfect. It's such a simple concept, but it's executed brilliantly.

Also, I just started reading Gotham Central, which is another one of those no brainer ideas, that took 60 years for DC to do (ok, maybe the climate wasn't ready for this sort of book before the 90s at the earliest). These comics literally sing to me. It's one of those deals where you feel something was put on this earth only for you.

This is one of my favorite comics ever. I'm now waiting for volume 4 to come out. By the way, someone needs to develop this series into an HBO or AMC TV show.

modfather
09-07-10, 04:36 PM
Just read Morning Glories #1 a couple of weeks ago, and it stood out to me. I really enjoyed the hell out of it. Speaking of Image, it's hilarious that Spawn 200, which was advertised SO heavily as having Todd McFarlane involved, is now several MONTHS late.

I buy a lot of floppies each month, and I'm really getting tired of all of the extra titles. Six Deadpool titles, four Thor titles, two (more!) new Batman titles, etc. I understand why they're doing them, but don't have to like it.

Speaking of Batman, I'm really getting sick of two things: Batman's "death" - just bring him back already! And Grant Morrison starting a new title about once a year, going through 8 issues, and then jumping over to a new title.

Still loving Punisher Max, Madame Xanadu (and several other Vertigo titles), and Crossed: Family Values.

Hating: X-Men titles (last major event was great! - now...meh), Iron Man (just a bunch of bickering and bitchy women - because they're "empowered"), Batman titles (God in heaven, PLEASE just bring back Batman and get on with it. It doesn't have to take three years - we all knew he'd be "back")

JasonF
09-07-10, 04:43 PM
This is one of my favorite comics ever. I'm now waiting for volume 4 to come out. By the way, someone needs to develop this series into an HBO or AMC TV show.

Locke & Key Adaptation Becomes TV SeriesBy Jordan Blanco on Aug 24th 2010 10:09 PM | 0 comments It appears award-winning producer and director, Steven Spielberg, has signed on to produce Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez's Locke & Key comic book series and bring the adaptation to TV rather than the big screen as originally announced. Spielberg and his Dreamworks TV studio will partner with Alex Kurtzman, Robert Orci, and Josh Friedman who've already signed a deal with 20th Century Fox TV. Vulture reported the news earlier today along with the news of Friedman penning episodes for the adaptation.

The series published by IDW was at one point picked up by Dimension Films who intended on developing a film adaptation with producer John Davis with the intent of creating a proper franchise out of it. Then in February 2010, Dreamworks picked it up attaching Kurtzman and Orci as writers and producers.

For those not familiar with the Locke & Key series, IDW Publishing describes it best:

Acclaimed suspense novelist and New York Times best-selling author Joe Hill (Heart-Shaped Box) creates an all-new story of dark fantasy and wonder: Locke & Key. Written by Hill and featuring astounding artwork from Gabriel Rodriguez (Clive Barker's The Great and Secret Show, Beowulf), Locke & Key tells of Keyhouse, an unlikely New England mansion, with fantastic doors that transform all who dare to walk through them.... and home to a hate-filled and relentless creature that will not rest until it forces open the most terrible door of them all...

Definitely a solid book, now get pullin'.

http://leagueofcomicgeeks.com/news/335/locke-and-key-adaptation-becomes-tv-series

boredsilly
09-07-10, 10:24 PM
Hating: X-Men titles (last major event was great! - now...meh), Iron Man (just a bunch of bickering and bitchy women - because they're "empowered"), Batman titles (God in heaven, PLEASE just bring back Batman and get on with it. It doesn't have to take three years - we all knew he'd be "back")

Oh dude, I couldn't disagree more. I just caught up with Invincible Iron Man, and I LOVE how that book is almost as much about the women, as it is about Tony Stark.

I'm not a fan of the Batman stuff at all, but to be fair his coming back is part of the story. I won't hold that against Morrison. However, I really do miss caring about the bat-books. The most fun I've had with that character is when I read No Man's Land last spring. NML isn't an amazing story, but it worked for me. Scratched that itch I needed tending. Now, I think I might work my way through the Rucka/Brubaker stuff, to go along with Gotham Central.

To a larger point, I really hate that I still do not give two shits about DC right now. There was a stretch, in the early 2000s, where DC had me on the edge of my seat? Now, I just feel completely blah about the whole line. Granted, I don't know what's good or not, because I'm not reading it, but what I hear doesn't make me excited at all.

dx23
09-07-10, 10:52 PM
I've been a big critic of Morrison's work before but I'm really liking the Batman books and Dick Grayson as Batman. As much as I like Bruce Wayne, I'm really hating DC's decision to bring him back so soon. Seeing Grayson as Batman is giving different, interesting dimensions to the Batman books and the Justice League.

I also like the Invincible Iron Man book, although I hate the way everyone has forgiven him after the whole Civil War mess. To me, Iron Man should be a pariah trying to gain back the respect of the entire Marvel Universe and Spider-Man should be a man on the run after revealing his identity.

boredsilly
09-08-10, 06:47 AM
I can see what you mean about forgiving Tony Stark, but I think that was handled pretty well in issue (I think it was) 22 or whatever. Yeah, in real life that would have implications that lasted for 10 years, and while the Civil War stuff still does have some effect on stories, it is only a minor one. I was cool with how Fraction wrote it away though, with the "reboot".

I am a pretty big Morrison fan. I think his hits are better than most anyone elses hits, but something about his Batman just puts me off. Maybe I would like Batman and Robin if I read it further, but I didn't really get into the first arc too heavy (which was only more surprising seeing as how that was the arc that set the internet to drool mode -- so I really was perplexed), and I really didn't like the RIP stuff, or the stuff leading up to it. I'm glad you're digging it though.

I feel similar about Marvel bringing Steve Rogers back. It's fine, and I LUV me some proper Cap, but I think Bucky was so much more interesting having the mantle all to himself. Now, I can't help but look at him as a place holder. You could say the same thing about the Flash group.

dx23
09-14-10, 06:59 PM
Shadowlands spoilers

BLACK PANTHER Replaces Daredevil As The New Man Without Fear
By Albert Ching, Newsarama Staff Writer
posted: 14 September 2010 07:26 pm ET
Buzz up!
Add to delicious del.icio.us
Digg It! Digg It!
Save to Newsvine Newsvine
Add to reddit reddit
Text Size:
Related Images

Enlarge Image ENLARGE
1 of 1

As announced Friday evening on G4's Attack of the Show, Black Panther will take Daredevil's place as both the guardian of Hell's Kitchen and the "Man Without Fear" starting in December.

As of issue #513, the ongoing Daredevil series previously reported to be ending with #512 in November will become Black Panther: The Man Without Fear. The change is a result of the currently unfolding Shadowland story arc, and corresponds with the "Who Will Be The New Man Without Fear?" teaser images released last month by Marvel Comics, where Black Panther was presented as one of five possible candidates for the title. Shadowland ends in November.
Ads by Google
DC Comics Crisis in Audio
Listen to your favorite superheroes in GraphicAudio. Movie In Your Mind
www.GraphicAudio.net

G4's Blair Butler reported the creative team as novelist David Liss and aritst Francesco Francavilla. Liss made his comic book debut last year with Marvel's Daring Mystery Comics 70th Anniversary Special, and Francavilla drew all five of the "Who Will Be The New Man Without Fear?" images. Francavilla was announced by DC Comics last month as the artist of the Commissioner Gordon co-feature in Detective Comics starting with November's issue #871.

In the report, Butler said the new direction for the series "finds the Black Panther living outside of his kingdom and rebuilding his life without any of his trademark tech."

Late last month at Fan Expo in Toronto, Marvel announced Daredevil Reborn, by Shadowland and current Daredevil writer Andy Diggle and art from Davide Gianfelice. The series starts in January 2011, and last week the publisher unveiled two covers.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/black-panther-daredevil-100914.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Newsaramasite+%28Newsarama.com%29&utm_content=Twitter

Really Marvel, you are making it easy to hate your company.

dx23
09-15-10, 03:10 PM
Great column on how "The One Moment in Time" shit has reduced Peter Parker to a stupid character

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/09/15/saying-goodbye-to-spider-man-by-matthew-h-kleinert/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BleedingCool+%28Bleeding+Cool+Comic+News+%26+Rumors%29&utm_content=Twitter

Sales of Spider-Man have declined. Hopefully someone at Disney will get the message and yank Quesada from the company. I'm holding him responsible for doing incredible damage to it's highest profile character, just so he could live vicariously through what was a complicated married man to a character that now is a free swinging bachelor without the responsibilities that made him the character people like me related to.

fujishig
09-15-10, 03:42 PM
How are comic book sales in general, though? Besides the big event pushes, of course. I haven't looked at numbers lately, but the state of the economy, the rising price of comics and the proliferation of trades all seem to be factors that would point to declining sales overall. Of course, I rarely visit comic sites anymore because I don't want to see spoilers (as I'm constantly behind due to collecting trades).

The Valeyard
09-15-10, 07:32 PM
Not good. Not horrible.

At one end in the direct market, we see no single comic book hitting six figures in overall orders. And while there is often dispute over the figures used, lacking in non North American figures and statistical errors introduced through limited raw data, they do indicate trends well. And trends right now are down for August comic books. Most of the big books see sales fall and the best seller, Blackest Knight, came in at only an estimated 93K in orders.

More at......Bleeding Cool (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/09/14/is-this-the-collapse-of-the-direct-market-no/)

Patman
09-15-10, 10:08 PM
My LCS retailer called August numbers "Comic-Geddon" because the sales are trending down, and mainly due to their budget not able to take a flyer on books that they might have gambled on at the $2.99 price point vs. the higher $3.99. They are now more focused on their subscriber base's needs, and not are worried about "growing" the market with gambles on lesser known titles, or order a lot of shelf copies nowadays.

Melmoth
09-16-10, 04:40 AM
I stopped buying single issues a while ago in opt for TPBs but there's a title coming out in October that will finally drive me back to the comic store.

Bela Lugosi's Tales from the Grave. I think this is going to be a real treat for Lugosi fans. I myself can't wait.

fujishig
09-16-10, 02:34 PM
My LCS retailer called August numbers "Comic-Geddon" because the sales are trending down, and mainly due to their budget not able to take a flyer on books that they might have gambled on at the $2.99 price point vs. the higher $3.99. They are now more focused on their subscriber base's needs, and not are worried about "growing" the market with gambles on lesser known titles, or order a lot of shelf copies nowadays.

This is sad. I guess they could sell around 25% less and make the same amount of money, but that's a shrinking fan base. Why did they decide to start upping the prices anyway? Increased printing costs? They just figure they can milk the consumer a bit more? I know at least DC tried to up the content by putting a smaller story at the end, but I think they're getting rid of those soon anyway and keeping the higher prices.

JasonF
09-16-10, 08:06 PM
I heard a rumor that within five years, Marvel will go all digital/collections -- no more monthlies. Be interesting if it happens.

fujishig
09-16-10, 11:07 PM
I heard a rumor that within five years, Marvel will go all digital/collections -- no more monthlies. Be interesting if it happens.

That'd be a great way to lose ad revenue and screw over all the comic book stores that have helped keep them in business. Of course, some of these comics are still published only to keep the IP active for other marketing deals, so maybe it won't matter by that time.

Sessa17
09-19-10, 11:47 AM

I don't know who your credible source is, but I can 100% guarantee that there is absolutely zero chance of this happening.

fujishig
09-20-10, 01:37 PM
Finally got through my Blackest Night collections, after starting and stopping several times to try to get the order semi-right. I got the main HC, the Green Lantern and GLC ones, and the Tales of the Black Lantern Corps v. 1 and 2. The Tales ones were all collections of miniseries, and I have to say, while some had decent art and/or story, they were all skippable.

The addition of the "deputy" Lanterns seemed off, to me... I don't quite understand why they needed the backup when they already had x number of alien lanterns in the sky (besides Orange, of course, which just seemed to create problems anyway). I also didn't buy the whole

Earth is the origination of the White Light, not Oa. I know Earth has a lot of cosmic importance, as they explained in stuff like Millenium, but doesn't this start to contradict? Also, does that mean Earth was the first planet created?

Also, what happened to the Zamorans, were they held up trying to control the violet entity?

I'm interested to see how long this mandate of "no new resurrections" holds up. On a side note, where is the Firestorm story/ramifications being picked up, in Brightest Day? I apologize for being so behind, I realize most probably read this stuff a while ago.

The Valeyard
09-20-10, 09:26 PM
Brightest Day continues the stories of:

Firestorm
Martian Manhunter
Hawkman & Hawkwoman
Aquaman
Deadman

Gamblor187
09-20-10, 09:57 PM
On a side note, where is the Firestorm story/ramifications being picked up, in Brightest Day? I apologize for being so behind, I realize most probably read this stuff a while ago.

There's Firestorm stuff is being addressed in Brightest Day. Not that I'm recommending the book. I find it damn near incomprehensible. I've stuck with it so far because I have a unexplainable fondness for Deadman, but I don't think I can take much more.

Other books I'm reading....

Green Lantern - Perhaps they need to change the name of this book since Hal Jordan is little more than a supporting character. The book has been taken over by the orange, red, purple, etc. Lanterns, and I'm finding that I don't really care about any of them. (Nor the upcoming White Lantern, whoever that may be.)

It was a quality book for a while, and The Sinestro Wars was a high point. A great epic storyline that didn't require reading twent other crossover titles. (They were there, but they weren't necessary to enjoy the story.) But it's been downhill from there. As soon as it ended, they started introducing the entire new rainbow of Lanterns and building up towards Blackest Night, which I found to be a big disappointment.

And then Blackest Night lead directly into Brightest Day.

I wish the title would give the giant storylines a rest and just make it an enjoyable monthly read again.

No complaints about Doug Mahnke's art. though.

The Flash - I was against bringing back Barry Allen. The Flash: Rebirth mediocre, at best, and resulted in there being way too many speedsters in the DC Universe. I was so not looking forward to this book.

But three issues in and I'm really enjoying it. I look forward to each new issue. It's as if Geoff Johns took all of the fun that he sapped out of the Green Lantern lately and put it here.

But I'm still against the resurrection of Barry Allen.

Hellblazer - Has it almost been 300 issues already? There have been highs (Mike Carey) and lows (Paul Jenkins) in the history of this book. The current run by Peter Milligan is falling somewhere in between for me. His political statements are often eyerollingly forced and the recent appearance of Shade, the Changing Man (big fan!) was underwhelming. Still, Milligan has done some outstanding work in the past, and I'm hoping that his run will improve.

Not that it really matters, I guess. After collecting the title for this long, there's not much that would make me stop. (I'm even slowly picking up the gaps that I have from Jenkins run.)

Also nice to see some beautiful interior art from Simon Bisley.

The Unwritten - Got the first two trades and then picked up some single issues so noe I'm all caught up and ready to read this one on a monthly basis. I started off the title interested, but a bit uncertain. However, it really seems to be hitting it's stride now and getting better each issue.

DMZ - The best book out there right now. Hands down. I missed the series when it began, so I started picking up the trades. I got the last trade about a month ago and decided the I just couldn't wait until February for the next volume. So I picked up the single issues #50 and up and added it to my monthly pull list.

Then I developed a bad case of bronchitis. Those single issues are still waiting there to be read, but I refuse to read them when I'm not feeling well. It's a book that requires my undivided attention. They'll sit there until I feel weel enough to read them.

Brian Wood has developed some really strong characters here, and he's let them grow since the first issue. Often in unexpected ways. Sometimes in ways that make you want to throttle them. But always in ways that are believeable for the characters and situation.
It's powerful storytelling that's not afraid to take some risks. Thought-provoking. Gut-wrenching.... I'm running out of cliches here....The "Public Works" stortline left me visibly shaken and lamenting that I had no one to discuss it with since it doesn't seem to be a big seller.

And let's not leave out Riccardo Burchielli, whose artwork has continued to improve throughout the series. A really underappreciated artist.

Ex Machina - Brian K. Vaughan must have shot his wad with that brilliant final issue of "Y: The Last Man". About 2/3 of the way though its 50 issue run, the quality of this book really started to decline. Even Tony Harris's art (and I'm a fan) seemed to start getting lazy. I was hoping that they would turn things around by the end, but it started relying to heavy on supeo heroics and aliens. The final issue was a minor disaster.

That's it for my monthly titles. Still have The Goon on my pull list, but there hasn't been a new issue in quite some time. And of course I'm alwayd hoping that another issue of "Fell" will show up sometime soon. And maybe the next book of Alan Moore's "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen"?

I'm still getting Hellboy and loving every minute of it, but I switched to trades. I was too annoyed by spending money for the single issues only to have the trade come out soon afterwards with bonus stories available nowhere else. Unfortunately, it seems that Dark Horse uses a special process in the binding of these books that makes them start to fall apart about halfway through the first reading.
Still one more Hellboy trade to pick up, and then I'll catch up on the BPRD trades.

Then it's finally time to read Brubaker's Captain America. Never been a Cap fan, but I've read the first two trades several times, and they're damned impressive. Does it stay this good for a long time, or does the quality start to dip after a while?

boredsilly
09-21-10, 09:50 AM
I'm right there with you on the DMZ love. I see people say the best book on the stands is Fables, Walking Dead, Scalped, or some other book often, but rarely do I see DMZ listed. I'm only on the third volume myself, but this book is STELLAR.

JasonF
09-21-10, 12:23 PM
Good stuff I'm reading that you might not be:

Bulletproof Coffin -- A trippy story about a guy who finds a stack of Golden Nugget comics and gets sucked into the story. It's a cross between an old EC comic, Kavalier & Clay, Silver Age Marvel, and the Invisibles. Words don't do it justice. It's awesome.

The Sixth Gun -- Supernatural horror set in the Old West. The first issue is online here (http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2010/05/robot-sixth-gun-read-the-first-issue-of-onis-the-sixth-gun-right-here/).

20th Century Boys -- A manga series from Naoki Urasawa. It's a great series that focuses on a group of kids in circa 1970 Japan and some events involving a cult that draw them back together 30 years later as the world prepares for the 21st century. The plot develops so rapidly that it's hard to say too much about this without giving away developments, so I'll just say that it's really good.

fujishig
09-21-10, 01:16 PM
I just started picking up 20th Century Boys, but I'm only on the 1st volume. Also started in on his Pluto series, which is a retelling of the Tezuka's classic Tetsuwan Atom (Astroboy) story "The Greatest Robot on Earth." Man I have to dig up those Dark Horse Astroboy volumes again...

boredsilly
09-21-10, 02:46 PM
I just started picking up 20th Century Boys, but I'm only on the 1st volume. Also started in on his Pluto series, which is a retelling of the Tezuka's classic Tetsuwan Atom (Astroboy) story "The Greatest Robot on Earth." Man I have to dig up those Dark Horse Astroboy volumes again...

I was reading both of these, but for some reason I lost interest in both around the 3rd volume. I do not dislike manga, but I feel like there might be some disconnect with me and that form of comics. I will probably pick up Pluto again, as the characters in that rang a bit more true to me, but I think I'm done with 20th.

Sessa17
09-21-10, 07:46 PM

Bulletproof Coffin -- A trippy story about a guy who finds a stack of Golden Nugget comics and gets sucked into the story. It's a cross between an old EC comic, Kavalier & Clay, Silver Age Marvel, and the Invisibles. Words don't do it justice. It's awesome.

The Sixth Gun -- Supernatural horror set in the Old West. The first issue is online here (http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2010/05/robot-sixth-gun-read-the-first-issue-of-onis-the-sixth-gun-right-here/).

20th Century Boys -- A manga series from Naoki Urasawa. It's a great series that focuses on a group of kids in circa 1970 Japan and some events involving a cult that draw them back together 30 years later as the world prepares for the 21st century. The plot develops so rapidly that it's hard to say too much about this without giving away developments, so I'll just say that it's really good.

Bulletproof Coffin & Sixth Gun are both very good, 20th Century Boys I started a few years ago, but got bored with it, Monster is much better.

I haven't been following much comic book talk or gossip lately but there sure are some gigantic shakeups in DC. Wildstorm going under, an office movie to the West Coast, 97 Batman titles being solicited for December.

JasonF
09-21-10, 11:39 PM

Pluto was really good. I almost feel like you could do an analogy of Watchmen is to the Charlton characters as Pluto is to the Astroboy characters.

Sessa, I definitely need to pick up Monster. How far did you get in 20th Century Boys before you got bored? I was hooked from the get go, but I know some people feel like it didn't hit its stride until the third volume or so.

davidh777
10-10-10, 10:25 PM
I didn't realize IDW is releasing Jon Sable in Omnibus format. The old volumes are still pretty expensive so I might look into this option when they put out a second one (I recently picked up the second old volume).

davidh777
10-11-10, 12:11 PM
My LCS had some DC war one-shots: Sgt Rock, Haunted Tank, Mlle Marie, and The Losers. I used to read this kind of stuff so I was tempted, but $3.99 each seemed a bit steep. Looks like the trade is coming out in April, which is a long time to wait but probably worth it for me. I haven't thought about Mlle Marie :drool: in many years.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/516AXJUCNSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Product Description: Top-name creators including Darwyn Cooke, Geoff Darrow, Joe Kubert and others revisit DC war heroes such as Sgt. Rock and The Losers in this collection of stand-alone tales.

Re-enlist with OUR ARMY AT WAR, a collection of DC’s war stories from fall 2010 featuring an eclectic list of creators and comic properties! In one story, readers are told a different kind of Sgt. Rock tale – one that follows the combat-happy joes of Easy Company decades ago and, simultaneously, a modern unit in the mountains of Afghanistan! In another set of three sensational stories, soldiers rise from the grave, horror surfaces from beneath the sea and a battle among dinosaurs proves that war has never been weirder! Others include The Haunted Tank, The Losers and French Resistance soldier Mademoiselle Marie!

mrhan
10-11-10, 02:32 PM

I've actually wanted to read that. How is it compared to the movies? I'm sure it's more detailed and probably more entertaining. I've only seen the 1st part and haven't had a chance to see the 2nd and 3rd yet.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1155705/

fujishig
10-29-10, 11:58 AM
Just wanted to pop in and say I've been very disappointed in the recent JSA/JLA starheart crossover. I buy both books, I'm a huge Infinity Inc. fan, and it still makes little sense to me, and feels like the characters are just going through the motions. I'm about ready to drop both of them (and I never thought I would say that about JSA).

On the bright side I'm finally going through 100 Bullets, which is, of course, great. And Scott Pilgrim. And I have a Gold Digger Goldbrick, which is always a guilty pleasure. But man is my monthly pull list taking a dive...

JasonF
10-30-10, 06:50 PM
I've actually wanted to read that. How is it compared to the movies? I'm sure it's more detailed and probably more entertaining. I've only seen the 1st part and haven't had a chance to see the 2nd and 3rd yet.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1155705/

Just saw this post. Haven't seen the movies so I can't compare them. There have been 11 volumes of 200-or-so pages each so far and I'm not sure how that matches up to the first movie, but that will give you a sense of the pacing.

The Valeyard
10-30-10, 10:28 PM
Just wanted to pop in and say I've been very disappointed in the recent JSA/JLA starheart crossover. I buy both books, I'm a huge Infinity Inc. fan, and it still makes little sense to me, and feels like the characters are just going through the motions. I'm about ready to drop both of them (and I never thought I would say that about JSA).

I was collecting JLA but dropped it after the Starheart crossover. I don't know which Robinson they hired but it certainly isn't the one who wrote Starman.

fujishig
11-01-10, 11:20 AM
I was collecting JLA but dropped it after the Starheart crossover. I don't know which Robinson they hired but it certainly isn't the one who wrote Starman.

Must be his evil twin, though. How else would you explain the obsession with the JLA including Mikaal, the gay alien Starman that nobody else cares about? And I finally read Robinson's "Cry for Justice" which I guess is where Congorilla and Mikaal came from, but I still have no idea why I'm reading a JLA book with those two as members, and the rest of the team filling up the pages with thought balloons. Bagley's not helping much, and I was a fan of his Thunderbolts and Amazing Spidey work, back when it seemed like he was doing an issue a week.

Patman
11-01-10, 02:40 PM
So glad I dropped both JSA and JLA when Geoff Johns left JSA earlier this year.

fujishig
11-15-10, 11:12 AM
So all three Avengers titles from Age of Heroes have HCs coming out... any of them worth a look (Avengers, New Avengers, Secret Avengers)?

boredsilly
11-16-10, 06:37 PM
I can't really speak to that, Fuji, but I will say I'm a little sad that I'm pretty much through with the Avengers. I was really excited about the launching of all of the new Avengers books, but I'm not reading any of them. I know it rubbed some people the wrong way, but I really liked the Norman Osborn lead Marvel U, and without him, I'm not finding the much to latch onto. Granted, I'm not reading a lot of it, and I would probably dig more if I tried more. So take what I'm saying with a big grain of salt.

ETA: I might have spoke too soon. Red Hulk is in the current issue, and it deals with the illuminati and infinity gems? Yeah, I have to read that.

sinned
11-17-10, 01:31 PM
Then it's finally time to read Brubaker's Captain America. Never been a Cap fan, but I've read the first two trades several times, and they're damned impressive. Does it stay this good for a long time, or does the quality start to dip after a while?

I just started reading this last weekend. Read the first 8 issues and so far it has been really good. Been impressed with Brubaker's storytelling so far (I think this is his first work that I'm reading). I'll be reading the 50 issues of the last Captain America series, then 600-614 (or whatever the latest current issue is).

JasonF
11-20-10, 11:03 PM
Four shops in Chicago are doing a comic shop crawl in November. 20% off at each store, and if you visit all four, you get entered in a drawing for up to $500 worth of comics. Over the past few weeks, I've been visiting them and I went a little nuts with my 20% off. I picked up:

Giant Size Little Lulu #1
Queen & Country volume 1
Chew volume 1
The Blacksad collection
The Cursed Pirate Girl collection

As for that last one, Jeremy Bastian was signing at the shop, so I got to meet him, which was cool.

With the exception of a few Little Lulu stories here and there, I've never read any of these books but I heard great things about all of them, and I'm really looking forward to digging in.

davidh777
11-21-10, 12:10 AM
I've been interested in GS Little Lulu, but I have a bunch of the smaller TPBs that I haven't read yet. Really enjoyed the one I did read, but not a huge priority right now.

ivelostr2
11-21-10, 07:24 PM
I just started reading this last weekend. Read the first 8 issues and so far it has been really good. Been impressed with Brubaker's storytelling so far (I think this is his first work that I'm reading). I'll be reading the 50 issues of the last Captain America series, then 600-614 (or whatever the latest current issue is).

i havent read since it switched over to the 600 numbering, because of being so behind, i figured i might as well just wait for trades, but I enjoyed the entire 50 issues from brubaker before that...it was the one comic i kept reading after i dropped the other marvel ones....I started back again during Civil War andd then read the Omnibus and LOVED it...

davidh777
11-21-10, 08:43 PM
Amazon has the new Serenity GN The Shepherd's Tale for $6.99. Getting panned by the customer reviews but I'll probably pick it up. This will probably be cheaper than the eventual PB.

fujishig
11-30-10, 05:04 PM
I applaud DC's decision to roll back prices on their 3.99 books back to 2.99. Unfortunately, it's too little, too late; I dropped a few books a month or so back, and haven't really missed them. I do appreciate the savings on the books I'm still picking up, though.

Patman
11-30-10, 11:18 PM
I've pretty much dropped most of the Bat-books because DC is totally milking the return of Bruce Wayne with so many off-shoot titles. So, I'll pick up Batgirl, Birds of Prey for now. Dropped Batman, Detective, and Batman and Robin. Won't be picking up Batman Inc., and whatever else they decide to put Bruce Wayne in (it's like the Deadpool over-saturation phenomena all over again). Never did pick up Red Robin or Sirens of Gotham or any other Gotham-related title. It's just too exhausting to keep up with it now. Dropped Batman Odyssey after 4 issues (didn't realize it was going to 13 issues).

Will most likely go back on a sabbatical on Superman once JMS is done (though his run was pretty uneventful, like Superman playing Forest Gump going on his walkabout across America). But I'll stick with Action Comics (Lex) for now. JMS's Wonder Wonder was also iffy, not sure if I'll hang in there for the new creative time, we'll see.

I think I'm still picking up:

Green Lantern
Flash
Secret Six
Brightest Day (on life support for me)
Justice League Generation Lost (also on life support)

Since I'm a glutton for punishment, I'll finish up with the 4 Wildstorm titles as DC folds up the Wildstorm imprint, I think their final issues will come out in January, so that's 4 books off my list as well.

Since Black Widow got canned, and I'm not sure if I'll follow her to the next miniseries (Widow Maker?), I'm down to Iron Man as my only regular Marvel title (and it's still $2.99, and I'm dropping it if it goes up to $3.99 in cover price).

Still getting Criminal.

With an end in sight, I'll hang in there with Echo, but I'm think I'm done with Buffy once season 8 is done soon. 4.5 years of Buffy in comic book form for season 8 is too much, too long.

Wow, down to about a dozen titles now, and could easily see it getting pared down to about 6-8 of them pretty easily.

fujishig
12-01-10, 10:48 AM
I'm still getting:

Adventure Comics (for the Legion stories, but they aren't really all that fulfilling)
Batgirl
Batman and Robin
Birds of Prey (though the constant art changes and the very dense story make it hard to follow... but I'm a fan of Hawk and Dove)
Flash
Justice League of America (on very thin ice at this point, maybe a month or two before I finally admit James Robinson, much like Chris Claremont and John Byrne, has just lost his comic-writing abilities)
Justice League : Generation Lost
Justice Society of America
Legion of Superheroes
Teen Titans (I'm a glutton for punishment, and want to see what yet another new writer will bring. You know the book is bad when I accidentally read an issue out of order, didn't understand what was going on, and yet didn't blink an eye because the storyline didn't make much sense anyway. I'm avoiding anything else they get that Gossip Girl writer to write)

Dropped:
JSA All Stars: I was getting tired of the art, and it was 4 bucks a pop.

I don't collect any Marvel titles monthly because they put out EVERYTHING in trades. I'd pick up Green Lantern (and Corps and the third title) but I've been collecting the HCs and it's hard to switch.

Honestly, I was about to drop most of the 3.99 titles. Even the main Justice Society title has been more of a miss for me lately, and the Liberty Belle/Hourman backup story has been going on for what feels like years at this point. And I don't think I'd miss any of the titles all that much.

Patman
12-01-10, 01:14 PM
Oh, I forgot about Legion of Super-Heroes, still picking up that one, but not Adventure Comics. I hope to pick up Adventure Comics issues I'm missing since #4 in the cheap bins. I might end up doing the same (slumming in the cheap bins) with the Bat-titles I'm dropping too.

I left JSA once Johns was off the title, and don't miss it. Dropped JLA once Robinson/Bagley came on-board, and don't miss it either, and never got into the JSA All-stars, plus the higher cover price didn't help.

I'm dropping Fables after #100. Jack of Fables is going away at #50, so that's another 2 books I'm won't be getting on a monthly basis anymore.

Sessa17
12-01-10, 02:13 PM
I've pretty much dropped most of the Bat-books because DC is totally milking the return of Bruce Wayne with so many off-shoot titles. Never did pick up Red Robin or Sirens of Gotham or any other Gotham-related title. It's just too exhausting to keep up with it now. .

I completely agrew with this, and I dropped a lot of the Bat-books also, However, I highly highly recommend Sirens of Gotham because it is a completely original Bat-title that doesn't rely or have anything to do with the return of Bruce Wayne gimmick. It has great art and written by Dini the entire series feels like as if they turned the Harley Quinn episodes of the Batman animated series into a comic book.

Red Robin is also surprisingly good.

Patman
12-01-10, 03:36 PM
I have heard good things for Sirens of Gotham, and almost picked up a run on Ebay, but I forgot to go back to that auction in time, perhaps I'll pick up another run soon.

The Batman stuff is getting out of hand. Now we have 2 Batmen running around, one with the yellow oval on the chest emblem, and one without it (One of Bruce Wayne, the other is Dick Grayson). Plus all the internationally-run crime-fighting outfit with Batman, Inc., it just feel too much. While I sort of like the little runt, Damian as the new Robin, Morrison bailed on "Batman and Robin" for "Batman, Inc." so I am bailing on "Batman and Robin" and bypassing "Batman, Inc.".

fujishig
12-01-10, 05:23 PM
Speaking of bat titles... what happened to All Star Batman? Did it finish it's run or something?

Sessa17
12-01-10, 06:55 PM
Just thought I'd mention that I got the Absolute All-Star Superman in the mail today and it is a thing of beauty.

TheBang
12-01-10, 07:23 PM
Red Robin is also surprisingly good.
I'd have to echo this. Chris Yost did a fantastic job on the first 12 issues. It seems a little meandering at first, but everything that was built-up pays off at the end. Then Yost left, and Fabian Nicieza has done a decent job keeping it going. Probably my favorite "bat"-book at the moment.

Speaking of bat titles... what happened to All Star Batman? Did it finish it's run or something?
DiDio announced (last year?) that it had gone on indefinite hiatus.

davidh777
12-02-10, 02:04 AM
Are we ready for the December Haul-iday thread?

boredsilly
12-08-10, 01:56 PM
I totally jumped over Red Robin, but the strength of Batgirl has me interested in trying a bat-ancillary book.

fujishig
12-08-10, 03:32 PM
I totally jumped over Red Robin, but the strength of Batgirl has me interested in trying a bat-ancillary book.

Did you get the Red Robin issue that crossed over with Batgirl? That may be a decent way to sample the title.

I'm still so way behind in my reading. Back when I started getting books once a month from mailordercomics, I'd devour the monthlies as soon as I got them, going through a stack of books. Now even with my cut-back sub list, I'm a month or two behind in almost everything.

Luckily, part of that is because I've been going through trades. I started 100 Bullets a year or so back, but delayed getting the rest... recently I went through the entire series in about a month. I just went through the Red Hulk GNs again (read 1 and 2, picked up 4 and then realized I had a gap, so finally got 3) and have no idea what that book is supposed to be about. Did they reveal who the Red Hulk is yet, because I might just have to go look at a spoiler instead of continuing? Read the latest X-Factor trade, which collected only 4 issues but was still a good read; at least the art was consistent for once. And I'm currently going through the Superboy trade, collecting the stories from Adventure... I'm not sure which issues because I can't find that information anywhere in the book itself, and it has to be the thinnest hardcover I've ever bought. Have to get through it before I start on the Superboy series.

boredsilly
12-08-10, 09:28 PM
They have revealed who the Red Hulk is, but I think the book wasn't about that, at least not for me. That book was about big dumb fun, and in that regard it was great. If the mystery was the big draw, I don't see that being super satisfying. Not that it doesn't make sense, or anything, I just don't find the revelation of who the Red Hulk is as compelling of how the Red Hulk acted.

I skipped that Red Robin issue, because I tend to skip most all tie in stories. So I will see the conclusion of that story when I get to that issue in the run, now.

fujishig
12-13-10, 01:20 PM
Justice Society of America Special (2010).

Now I know DC hates me. I love the Justice Society. I liked them when I was a little kid reading reprints in those little digests. I've always been a huge fan of team books, especially large teams, and this was one of the biggest. I followed All Star Squadron, Infinity Inc., heck, even Young All Stars. My interest waned in the Ragnarock years, and then the needless Zero Hour massacre, but then the new series started up and it was all kinds of great. James Robinson (the good one, not whatever evil doppleganger we have now) and Goyer started it off, with Geoff Johns taking it to new heights. Cool, classic heroes and newer versions of classic heroes; ooo, the new Mister Terrific from the Spectre's series, Jack Knight, etc. Great stuff.

Now Johns is gone. The JSA split up for no discernible reason other than trying to milk fans for two books... and I finally quit All Stars last month. The regular JSA book went through a bunch of creative changes; Willingham's run was a half a year of elseworlds wrapped up basically in text (!) to get ready for the JLA crossover. The JSA issues of the JLA crossover were basically JLA issues with the Justice Society showing up, with the end result of that being some kind of Starheart powered sanctuary for elves and other mystical creatures on the far side of the moon. Oh yeah, and they lost Jesse Quick to Robinson's JLA. Great.

Fine, fine. There's another new creative team on the main JSA book, and it seems intriguing at least. But then I got the Justice Society of America special. This is not a Justice Society of America Special. This is the wrap up of the Magog series that I guess has been canceled. Having never read the Magog series, I had no idea what was going on in this book, who this trucker guy is, and why I should care. I have no idea why Magog gets saved by a bunch of elves (again with the elves). Even at the end, it seemed like the JSA themselves couldn't care less what happened to Magog. And it was 5 bucks. At least the art was nice. Ugh.

On the bright side, I like the new creative team on Teen Titans (though I'm unsure of the whole "we need a battle-tested group because that's what we're about now side). They basically flushed the last story arc and characters down the toilet, which I guess is fine by me, but I would've liked to see a better resolution to that... of course, this team discards teammates like crazy, I'm not sure they even know that Kid Infinity is dead, that Blue Beetle is a fugitive, and they sure don't care about poor crippled Wendy. So just getting rid of female-captain-atom (who's as battle-tested as they come, but whatever) and aquagirl is just more of the same. I'm a little surprised that they put Miss Martian into a coma in the previous issue, though, since you'd think they'd want to align this with the new cartoon...

Patman
12-14-10, 09:13 AM
I'm so glad I drop JSA and JLA when Geoffs left JSA and the new writer with Bagley showed up on JLA. Sounds like a flustercuck.

fujishig
12-14-10, 01:12 PM
Honestly, JLA has sucked since Meltzer left. McDuffie was saddled with endless crossovers and editorial pulling pretty much all of the big guns away, including the Big 7, the Hawks, etc. There were so many crossovers that the book went absolutely nowhere. At one point he was left with Vixen, Firestorm, Zatanna, a depressed Black Canary, John Stewart and Female Dr. Light. I'm not saying McDuffie was totally without fault, as his Anansi and especially the Milestone stuff wasn't very compelling, IMHO. He started posting on the DC message boards about editorial, which got compiled by Rich Johnston, and then he was apparently fired for it (see Lying in the Gutters column http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=21073).

So you'd think editorial would realize there's a problem here, and give the next writer some leeway. Len Wein did a pretty forgettable bridging arc that was just biding time for James Robinson's run. What we were initially given was Hal Jordan, Green Arrow, the Atom, Batman (Dick Grayson), Donna Troy, Mon-El, Cyborg, Doctor Light, Starfire, Congorilla, and the Guardian. Robinson had previously written Jordan, Green Arrow, Congrilla, and the Atom in Cry for Justice, and he was writing Mon-El, Doctor Light, and the Guardian in Superman. He should've known they would all be taken away from him. Just a couple of issues after this new team was announced, the Justice League consisted of Batman (Grayson), Donna Troy, Congorilla, and the alien Starman. And Robinson knows the criticism. He calls Congrilla and Starman the new "Blue and Gold" and has them saying in the book itself that they don't know what all the criticism is about, there have been far worse members in JLA history. Damning with faint praise.

But it's not just the roster. They've recently added Supergirl and Jade and Jesse Quick, continuing the trend of "if you can't get the big 7, get someone close," which is understandable, and those are characters I like. It's the writing. You know how most comics have gone past the though balloon phase? Not this one... sure, they're not bubbled up like they were in times past, but there are cute little captions with icons to let you know who's thinking what. Very distracting. They can be in the middle of a fight and Dick Grayson is thinking "I have to take the lead, I have to take the lead." Robinson also knows the criticism of the roster. He calls Congrilla and Starman the new "Blue and Gold" and has them saying in the book itself that they don't know what all the criticism is about, there have been far worse members in JLA history. Damning with faint praise, but even worse, it doesn't come across as clever.

I'm not sure if it's the deadline crunch (which would be odd, considering he's known for prolific output) or if I've just outgrown his art, but Bagley's art is not a draw on this book. I actually prefer the fill-in issues. When he was drawing both JLA and JSA issues of the crossover, it took both books to the bottom of my reading pile.

The last few issues have had the Crime Syndicate and the fake New Gods, so I'll see where it goes (and there have already been some gaps in comic logic there too... which Alexander Luthor are they looking for? because they seem to have Jr.). But I think I'm finally out if it doesn't pick up significantly. And I'm a huge fan of Golden Age, Starman, Robinson's early runo n JSA, and the Charest issues of Wildcats. But if not for Felicia Henderson's incredibly awful run on Teen Titans, Robinson's run on JLA would be my worst monthly of the year.

Patman
12-14-10, 01:59 PM
I've never enjoyed Bagley's art, so it's was nice time to drop JLA when he came onboard. But I don't know who they could put back on JLA for me to pick it up again...

fujishig
12-14-10, 03:24 PM
Give me something like Buseik/Perez with all the major players. That got me back into Avengers after it went through a really dry spell.

Patman
12-14-10, 03:40 PM
Oh, I remember that time frame, but then I dropped that revamp of the Avengers after 9-10 issues.

boredsilly
12-15-10, 05:45 PM
I didn't really care for Meltzer's stuff either, but at least those issues felt like they had some direction. JLA hasn't really mattered to me since Waid, and that's a shame. Thankfully the cartoon existed to give me some good Justice League content.

dadaluholla
12-18-10, 08:06 PM
If its ok with you guys I thought we'd just do one 2011 General Comic Discussion, since we only had 67 posts for this entire quarter. I can start it up in January.

fujishig
12-19-10, 07:55 PM
Oh, I remember that time frame, but then I dropped that revamp of the Avengers after 9-10 issues.

I'm curious, why was that?

Before the Buseik/Perez relaunch of Avengers, they slogged through the Harras/Epting years with the team consisting of Sersi, Hercules, the Black Knight, Crystal, the all-white-Vision, the Black Widow, and a non-humorous Hercules; the West Coast Avengers had disbanded to allow the creation of Force Works; and then there was "Heroes Reborn."

Buseik brought the "Big 3" of Captain America, Iron Man, and Thor (I know Cap wasn't a founding member, but still) along with long standing members Vision, Scarlet Witch, and Hawkeye, bringing back Warstar/Mrs. Marvel, adding two New Warriors members as reservists, and eventually bringing back Wonder Man. It was a good mix of established Avengers mainstays with new characters mixed in in a logical way. And then they fought against huge foes, largely unencumbered by crossovers. That's all I want from the JLA. No offense to the current JLA roster, or those that liked the Harras/Epting Avengers roster or JL Detroit or whatever.

I just read the last issue of JLA, and again, Robinson tries really hard in the pages of the book to validate his team... with the team trapped in an impenetrable bubble, with all these powerhouses outside trying to break in but failing, Superman gives a little speech about how they shouldn't worry, that this new JLA (with the old school logo in the word balloon) may not have been a team for long, but they're very experienced and they'll take care of it. Show me, don't tell me.

davidh777
12-19-10, 11:45 PM
RIP Adrienne Roy

http://www.comicsbeat.com/2010/12/17/rip-adrienne-roy/

One of the credits listed was for coloring Mike Grell's Warlord, and I realized that a lot of her work will no longer be seen with Showcase-type collections. :(

davidh777
12-20-10, 12:30 AM
Just ran across this. I've been waiting for a Jungle Action reprint!

http://www.collectededitions.com/marvel/mm/bp/bp_mm01.html

http://www.collectededitions.com/marvel/mm/bp/images/mm_bp01_4a.jpg

fujishig
12-20-10, 12:51 PM
Now I feel a little bad for bashing Robinson's JLA, hearing that he may be having some sort of midlife crisis (or had his twitter account hacked, one or the other). But Bagley is going back to Marvel (where he's done work that I enjoyed a lot more than his DC stuff).

Patman
12-20-10, 03:58 PM
Re: Avengers with Busiek and Perez

I'm curious, why was that?

Had to look up the years of that collaboration, and I guess I was flittering in and out of comics in the late 1990s, but it looks like I could find another 2 years worth of Avengers comics from the Busiek/Perez team of that era.

boredsilly
12-21-10, 10:15 PM
If its ok with you guys I thought we'd just do one 2011 General Comic Discussion, since we only had 67 posts for this entire quarter. I can start it up in January.

Makes sense.

I don't know who it was here, but someone gave me the first trade of Rex Mundi. Well 34 years later, I have all the trades, so I'm reading through the first volume again, and this book is so awesome. I don't get why this series didn't get more attention. Maybe the quality fell off in later issues/volumes?

I'm really going to try to work my way through some runs in 2011. I really need to reread and finish Strangers in Paradise. Even though it's my favorite series, I haven't read it all (because I don't want it to be over). I have 3 phonebooks of Cerebus, and while I don't see me reading that whole run (I hear it gets crazy at the end), I do plan on reading the first chunk of it to see how I like it, and go where it leads.

davidh777
12-29-10, 11:45 AM
Anyone want to list their Christmas scores? Somewhat light for me--got a lot of VG instead.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/619idzTjR-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51vyVqFdDsL._SL500_AA300_.jpg