Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Longest Unopened DVD ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-10, 12:06 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Longest Unopened DVD ?

I was wondering if you guys had ever bought a dvd/blu-ray and just never opened it. How long was it before you opened it or have you still not opened it ? I've got plenty of stuff that I've opened but just never watched.
Old 09-04-10, 01:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Longest Unopened DVD ?

right now i pretty much have silence of the lambs, running scared, seven and mr. magoriums wonder imporium unopened since last years black friday...hopefully this year its going to be a better year for dvds
Old 09-04-10, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought Ed Wood shortly after it was recalled and never opened it. I believe that was March 2004 and I still have yet to open it. So, 6 1/2 years...
Old 09-04-10, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I bought Grease in widescreen for my wife for Christmas 2004. It's one of her favorite movies of all time and yet she has never opened it. I, on the other hand, open everything almost the moment I get into the parking lot. It's just how I am.
Old 09-04-10, 03:56 AM
AJW
DVD Talk Special Edition

For me that would be eight years + and counting.

I bought The Lady In Red Dvd on April 5, 2002 and it somehow got buried in my collection. When I finally stumbled upon it, I looked it up on Ebay & Amazon and saw the title was out of print and going for big bucks.

I figured one day I might need some quick cash and could sell it unopened. Of course this year saw a re-release of the Dvd. Duh!

Lesson learned but I still can't bring myself to crack open the seal. I keep it as a reminder of my stupidity.
Old 09-04-10, 06:03 AM

For me it's the Blair Witch Project dvd -- paid .99 on it from some long forgotten website during the good days of online dvd shopping.....still unopened.

-Tim
Old 09-04-10, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

I have a criterion Beauty and the Beast original version I bought when it first came out. Also, I have the first release of the Little Mermaid from Disney.
Old 09-04-10, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I'm sure that I have some that are still sealed after 2-3 years. I don't open a DVD until I'm ready to watch it and my unwatched pile is still a bit on the large side.
Old 09-04-10, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I open everything as soon as I get it home. Short of a collectible, I really don't see the logic in keeping something shrinkwrapped.
Old 09-04-10, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I, on the other hand, open everything almost the moment I get into the parking lot. It's just how I am.

So do I. I make the GF drive so I can open them and remove all security tape (including the stupid magnetic strip) so they are 100% ready to put on shelf when we get home.
Old 09-04-10, 10:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
I'm sure that I have some that are still sealed after 2-3 years. I don't open a DVD until I'm ready to watch it and my unwatched pile is still a bit on the large side.
Ditto. I have a bunch that somehow wandered off my unwatched shelf and made it to it's spot on the other shelf. Now that I'm "giving" my collection of 1500 DVDs to my parents and starting over, I only have ~20 DVDs to worry about and those are still unopened & unwatched.
Old 09-04-10, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Lord of the Rings III. I had seen it on TV before I bought the big DVD set so there was really no reason to open it after I had bought it, because I had already seen it. I bought it a good, 3 years ago, I think, maybe longer and still haven't opened it up yet. Not because it's a bad movie, just because I have seen it already.
Old 09-04-10, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

My oldest unwatched is the Mummy. Bought for pretty much full price, used, at EBGames [this was before I found DVDtalk and DDD and other ways of getting more for less].

Oldest partially unwatched is the complete Monty Python's Flying Circus, the original big box one, I haven't watched all the disks yet.

Oldest actually unopened... Kieslowski's Three Colors. This is sort of cheating though because while that's numbers 87-89 in my collection, there are earlier titles which are unwatched but opened [bought used, or bought when I opened them immediately].

I don't open until I'm ready to watch, unless it's a multidisk set which I generally open to check the disks, unless I'm giving as a gift or trying to resell. If I had something that was still sealed, and is a collector's item and worth big bucks, I'd probably sell it - if it's been unopened this long, obviously I haven't needed to watch it. I'd lose money or at best break even on most of my titles so I don't bother.
Old 09-04-10, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

I've got stuff from 1998 I've never opened.
Old 09-04-10, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was at a blockbuster around July 2007 or so, and I saw they had the exclusive 2-disc version of WWE: Judgment Day 2007. I bought it immediately because of its rarity, and that it included the (as yet) unreleased steel cage match between The Undertaker and Batista. I could never decide if I wanted to open it, because it would complete the UT/Batista series, or sell it because 1) it's rare and 2) the ppv itself sucks.
Old 09-04-10, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by rw2516
I've got stuff from 1998 I've never opened.
Yeah, I've got all the IMAGE Chaplin releases I purchased back in 2002, never opened. Currently mulling whether to unload/sell them or not.

Last edited by ShellBeacher; 09-04-10 at 03:24 PM.
Old 09-04-10, 02:41 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I open mine as soon as I get them home, with the exception of the Tales From The Crypt Season 3&4 bundle which remained unopened for a whole 5 days while I tried to find it cheaper. -kd5-
Old 09-04-10, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Trick R Treat. I think I picked it up at Wallyworld around early spring. It will be opened and watched next month.
Old 09-04-10, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Lone Wolf and Cub #1 from 2005. I bought it as a standalone release then went out and bought the box set with all six films. I just tossed in the already opened copy in place of the sealed copy.
Old 09-04-10, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
I was wondering if you guys had ever bought a dvd/blu-ray and just never opened it. How long was it before you opened it or have you still not opened it ? I've got plenty of stuff that I've opened but just never watched.
All the time. I don't usually open a title until I"m ready to watch it. Exceptions are obvious floaters, to be sure the disk is OK, and used items. I tend to take a chance with everything else. I have several TV sets and movies in the 5 year old range.

These are just guesses as I've lost track over time.

Oldest unopened TV - "The Yogi Bear Show"
Oldest unopened movie - "The Complete Thin Man Collection" box set.
Old 09-04-10, 04:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I open everything as soon as I get it home. Short of a collectible, I really don't see the logic in keeping something shrinkwrapped.
Ditto!
Old 09-04-10, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

The main reasons I keep them sealed:
- Return if second thoughts [impulse purchase]
- Return if better price elsewhere
- Gift or resale if second thoughts
Old 09-05-10, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

"Stepmom". Got it as one of the 5 free titles when I bought my first player back in 97-98. Never wanted to watch it, so I never opened it.
Old 09-05-10, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by dtcarson
The main reasons I keep them sealed:
- Return if second thoughts [impulse purchase]
- Return if better price elsewhere
- Gift or resale if second thoughts
These are good reasons, though I would add that if you saw a better price you could just buy it at that location and return that sealed copy to the original store.

For me, one recent benefit I experienced to not opening a title was discovering a DVD in my collection had gone OOP. That sealed copy fetched a few more dollars for me I would think.
Old 09-05-10, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think I opened my copy of Gladiator yet and I got it relatively shortly after it came out.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.