Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Freddie Benson Vs Greg Brady

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-10, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Freddie Benson Vs Greg Brady

For those of you saying, Who's Freddie Benson - that gives Greg Brady a leg up already.

All through the years, people have been bemoaning how sappy sweet and sancarine The Brady Bunch was, is, and forever shall be. But I saw traits in Greg Brady, the eldest boy, that I'm not seeing in Freddie Benson - who are the same age: 15. I was watching Season Two of The Brady Bunch, and Greg is trying to buy a car, so he goes to work for his father and screws up by losing important drawings that Greg was taking over on his bike to the copy place. The Brady Bunch was teaching "responsibility," "liability," "regret," and "redemption."

A part of me wonders if shows that appear only on Cable Networks are getting shortchanged for the future. I mean, do shows on Fox-Five or Channel 7 (etc) that appear at "primetime" have a better chance at longevity than shows that only come on "Nick?"

For those of you not in the know, Freddie Benson is the 15-year old male protagonist on the iCarly show, on Nick. He's smart, a little nerdy, tech-savvy, but even a little "behind" by Greg Brady standards.

iCarly is classed as a "children's show."
wasn't the Brady Bunch classed the same?

Last edited by Buttmunker; 09-03-10 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-03-10, 09:49 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Freddie Benson Vs Greg Brady

"I'm calling you out, Greg Brady!"
Old 09-03-10, 10:18 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

From the few episodes I've watched with my niece Freddie is more of a Bobby or Peter Brady so yeah I would say he is "a little behind" by Greg Brady standards.
Old 09-03-10, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
For those of you saying, Who's Freddie Benson - that gives Greg Brady a leg up already.

All through the years, people have been bemoaning how sappy sweet and sancarine The Brady Bunch was, is, and forever shall be.
I have no idea who Freddie Benson is.
I also have no idea what sancarine means.
Old 09-03-10, 11:02 AM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts

I have no idea what an iCarly is.

Oh, and Johnny Bravo rocks!
Old 09-03-10, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

No poll?
Old 09-03-10, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm not sure exactly what you're getting at, but if you're saying that today's children's "entertainment" shows lack something, I'd agree. While children's public broadcasting is still top notch with shows like Wordgirl, Maya and Miguel, Sesame St, Electric Company, etc, children's "entertainment" (ie Nick and Disney) is largely situation comedies without much substance.

The characters on children's entertainment shows are largely either pop queens or goofballs, and only their tag-along friends seem to have any resemblance to reality. The greater problem is that the shows are less about responsibility, regret and redemption, and more about dating, silly situations and one-liners. I'm especially distraught by how strongly dating is a theme in pre-teen shows, which are then watched by 5-to-8-year-olds who are trying to keep up with the preteens.

In Greg Brady's world, young love was a part of the broader scope of life, as it should be. In iCarley's world, life isn't a whole lot more than dating. I think this contributes to giving young kids a skewed view of life early on. I'm not suggesting iCarley never has an episode that focuses on morals, etc, but these are the exception rather than the rule--just the opposite of Greg Brady's world.

True, times have changed, but do we really want our kids to grow up this fast? And with such dumbed-down entertainment? Personally, I have a TiVo and pick and choose my kid's programming, giving them a wide range of options, but filtering out the trash. Once they're old enough, it's fine to enjoy some of that candy, but I think all too often it becomes the foundation for children's entertainment pickings today instead of what's in the fray.
Old 09-03-10, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
I have no idea what an iCarly is.
The bastard child of Carly Simon and an iPod.
Old 09-03-10, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
No poll?
No point in a poll. I figured nobody would know who Fredward Benson was, and I was right.
Old 09-03-10, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
I'm not sure exactly what you're getting at, but if you're saying that today's children's "entertainment" shows lack something, I'd agree. While children's public broadcasting is still top notch with shows like Wordgirl, Maya and Miguel, Sesame St, Electric Company, etc, children's "entertainment" (ie Nick and Disney) is largely situation comedies without much substance.

The characters on children's entertainment shows are largely either pop queens or goofballs, and only their tag-along friends seem to have any resemblance to reality. The greater problem is that the shows are less about responsibility, regret and redemption, and more about dating, silly situations and one-liners. I'm especially distraught by how strongly dating is a theme in pre-teen shows, which are then watched by 5-to-8-year-olds who are trying to keep up with the preteens.

In Greg Brady's world, young love was a part of the broader scope of life, as it should be. In iCarley's world, life isn't a whole lot more than dating. I think this contributes to giving young kids a skewed view of life early on. I'm not suggesting iCarley never has an episode that focuses on morals, etc, but these are the exception rather than the rule--just the opposite of Greg Brady's world.

True, times have changed, but do we really want our kids to grow up this fast? And with such dumbed-down entertainment? Personally, I have a TiVo and pick and choose my kid's programming, giving them a wide range of options, but filtering out the trash. Once they're old enough, it's fine to enjoy some of that candy, but I think all too often it becomes the foundation for children's entertainment pickings today instead of what's in the fray.
Thing is, I found Greg Brady's world to offer a wider array of "dangers," as there were times the kids on that show cried and felt downgraded.

In iCarly's world, and Freddie Benson in particular, he really shows no interest in any girls other than Carly (who couldn't be so bothered with a nice boy - how I've heard that growing up all the time), and whenever Sam or Freddie fight, it's really nothing that penetrates their skins. It bounces off, in an almost cartoony way. Dating, silly situations, and one-liners, to be sure. But the dating is innocent (I don't care too much for the kissing crap, even if it is a peck), the silly situations - well, both shows had both, as well as the one liners (thanks, Alice, the housekeeper, for that). But Greg Brady tried to be a "real boy," while Fred Benson is still a Pinocchncio.
Old 09-03-10, 12:39 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm just surprised that you stopped fapping to iCarly long enough to notice the characters and plot points.
Old 09-03-10, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
I'm just surprised that you stopped fapping to iCarly long enough to notice the characters and plot points.
that makes two of us.
Old 09-03-10, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Buttmunker

iCarly is classed as a "children's show."
wasn't the Brady Bunch classed the same?
In the same way that some movies are for kids and some movies are for families, the Brady Bunch was for families.
Old 09-04-10, 11:06 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts