Search this Thread

Old 08-31-10, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Warehouse 13 -- "Vendetta" -- 08/31/10

Warehouse 13

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
The team seeks a murderer in Russia who is using artifacts from Artie's past to kill, but H.G.'s offer to help complicates matters.

Episode 9 of 13

Promo:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C4QWTDKDdmg?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C4QWTDKDdmg?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Special Guests are Tia Carrere and Paula Garces and of course Jaime Murray as H.G. Wells
Old 09-01-10, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Warehouse 13 -- "Vendetta" -- 08/31/10

There's a definite couples vibe between Micah and H.G. Wells.

D
Old 09-01-10, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Watched this episode today.

I liked that they gave us some more back story on Artie. The Russian backstory was interesting and what happened to his family. Didn't really care for Claudia reuniting with the boyfriend. I used to really like Claudia, but lately she's become really annoying. Pete and Myka IMO pretty much carry the show, especially with their awkward interactions. In regards to H.G. Wells all of the sudden becoming good and is now a member of the team. I have to believe there is more than meets the eye with it. I think H.G. is playing Pete and Myka for suckers. Artie is right for not trusting her.
Old 09-01-10, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Derrich
There's a definite couples vibe between Micah and H.G. Wells.

D
Maybe if Warehouse 13 was on Cinemax and re-titled Barehouse 13, then maybe I would probably see more of this sexual tension.
Old 09-01-10, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's the deal with H.G. Wells? Is she supposed to be the actual writer who used a nom de plume? Wikipedia was no help.
Old 09-02-10, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow was that bad. The Claudia segments felt like an episode of ICarly. Sorry, don't mean to insult the ICarly fans. The piece of wood ... it was a movie, not history. Clearly the writers have set up for a HG turnabout and a showdown with Myka.

It is absolutely bizarre how they go from a more adult oriented show one week to an adolescent angst filled the next.
Old 09-02-10, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ayre
The piece of wood ... it was a movie, not history.
You mean the piece of wood from the Titanic?
Old 09-02-10, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Tscott
You mean the piece of wood from the Titanic?
The iconic imagery of floating on a piece of wood to keep from freezing is directly tied to the movie. It is more of a pop culture reference than a historical one.
Old 09-02-10, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

The iconic imagery of floating on a piece of wood to keep from freezing is directly tied to the movie. It is more of a pop culture reference than a historical one.
Actually, some of the victims of the Titanic disaster did cling to whatever they could find, including driftwood, to save themselves from drowning. Unfortunately, nearly all froze to death before help could arrive.

The writers' redesigned the history so that the driftwood when blown upon would cause hypothermia and rapid freezing (akin to the fate many Titanic victims suffered) whereas clinging to the artifact kept you from freezing to death.

They also altered history last week with the "sardines from Shackleton's expedition." I read the actual novel 'Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage' a few weeks prior to this episode airing (for class). The crew had no food whatsoever left in the actual history. In Warehouse 13's universe, the crew decided to save one can of sardines. The reason for saving it or what the artifact does are never revealed.

The biggest historical alteration in Warehouse 13's universe is H.G. Wells.

Last edited by emachine12; 09-02-10 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-02-10, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by emachine12
Actually, some of the victims of the Titanic disaster did cling to whatever they could find, including driftwood, to save themselves from drowning. Unfortunately, most froze to death before help could arrive.
My point was that the bigger and more recent reference point is the movie. It was also a major pivotal moment in the movie. I just thought it was a bit too easy to reach for that resolution. It was just a nitpick and not a serious criticism of the episode.
Old 09-02-10, 10:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow was that bad. The Claudia segments felt like an episode of IFroggy. Sorry, don't mean to insult the IFroggy fans.

It is absolutely bizarre how they go from a more adult oriented show one week to an adolescent angst filled the next.
Fixed
Old 09-02-10, 12:54 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Idiotic statement. I'm fairly sure some of the real survivors of the Titanic were floating on a piece of wood, at least for a little while. They may not have been left to die by their fat selfish girlfriend taking up space on a piece of wood built for two, but.........
Old 09-02-10, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

My point was that the bigger and more recent reference point is the movie. It was also a major pivotal moment in the movie. I just thought it was a bit too easy to reach for that resolution. It was just a nitpick and not a serious criticism of the episode.
Counterpoints:

Imagine any real World War II event without the words: "From execuitve producer Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks."

Now... what do you think when you hear: "Houston, we have a problem."

A lot of movies are based on historical events so the unfortunate thing is a generation who only bases their lives on moving pictures. I didn't picture the Titanic movie when the driftwood was mentioned. My first thought was that's pretty cool so was Tomás de Torquemada's chain from his rack. The second thought to pop in my head was not History of The World, Part I and it wasn't even the second. The first thought was the Spanish Inquisition and the second thought was "damn, that has to be a horrible way to die." I didn't even think back to History of the World, Part I until the comedic tension break that came a lot later.

Last edited by emachine12; 09-04-10 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-04-10, 12:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by emachine12
Counterpoints:

My first thought was that's pretty cool so was Tomás de Torquemada's chain from his rack. The second thought to pop in my head was not History of The World, Part I and it wasn't even the second. The first thought was the Spanish Inquisition and the second thought was "damn, that has to be a horrible way to die." I didn't even think back to History of the World, Part I until the comedic tension break that came a lot later.
Counterpoint to counter point.

My first thought upon hearing Torquemada's name was "Torquemada - do not beg him for mercy. Torquemada - do not ask him for forgiveness. Let's face it - you can't Torquemada anything!"